Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Sad news regarding Forest House closure. If confirmed.

Liked

Sad news regarding Forest House closure. If confirmed.

Those of us for whom Sunee has been the bar area mainstay of our visits this past few years (as opposed to Boyztown and Jomtien Complex) it is sad news that Forest House has closed according to posts on another forum. I was aware that Aum/Aom from there had moved to QM2 Bar in Jomtien a while ago, but still surprised as it has survived through all the challenging periods of gay Pattaya bar history.

I don't know exactly how long it has been in business but I'm fairly sure it's been there throughout my 20 years visiting Thailand, and even though there were early years in 2000's when I disliked Sunee, I would still find time during a trip for visits to Forest House, especially early morning hours 1-3am.

In recent years I always expected that if Double Shot moved from Sunee that would be the real start of the end for the area. But as long as Diamond Bar, Eden Bar, Euro Boys Bar, Winner Gogo, Rainbow bar and /or 'Green Chairs' Sunee Beer Bar can re-open/remain along with Nice Boys if it can keep in business I will still regard Sunee as first choice for my relaxing drinking environment and, as it's not far from Sinlapin Issan which seems to be bucking the trend in Pattaya night club/late night bar offerings, that would still tie-in as a more than acceptable night out in Pattaya. If/when we are able to return!

A few of the Thai/Laos/Cambodian lads from Sunee, still keep in touch with most back home and some finding work as Durian Fruit pickers around Chanthaburi near Cambodian border and say that if bars re-open with foreign tourists permitted to return to Thailand they do intend to return to work in the bars left standing, or use bars as their 'base' for work. Some have already worked in Jomtien Complex at some time during their career so working out of there if sunee is unable to recover is doable.

As time goes on however, while I have a confirmed flight to Thailand being moved originally from April through the months to October now, and will no doubt be moved beyond...... optimism drains slowly away every time there is some spike announced 'somewhere' in the world and immediately used as the latest example by the current Thai authorities as the reason to keep their military backed grip on the population, but that's another thread on it's own.

Good to see the positive Pattaya Mail piece on the Jomtien Complex.

2. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (August 7th, 2020)

Liked

Re: Sad news regarding Forest House closure. If confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post

In recent years I always expected that if Double Shot moved from Sunee that would be the real start of the end for the area. But as long as Diamond Bar, Eden Bar, Euro Boys Bar, Winner Gogo, Rainbow bar and /or 'Green Chairs' Sunee Beer Bar can re-open/remain along with Nice Boys if it can keep in business
    Along with Forest House, Eden Bar and Euro Bar and Rainbow Bar are closed as is Power Boys.

Only beer bars are Diamond, Green Chairs and One Bar (now moved close to Diamond Bar). Only Go Go Clubs are Winner and Nice Boys. Winner Bar does have outdoor seating/drinks available. Good news is that drinks are inexpensive; bad news is there are few customers.

Most farang go to Jomtien Complex which is still alive. Boyztowwn is striving to keep a presence and is brightly lit and has music!

4. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (August 7th, 2020)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    optimism drains slowly away every time there is some spike announced 'somewhere' in the world and immediately used as the latest example by the current Thai authorities as the reason to keep their military backed grip on the population, but that's another thread on it's own..
    Thank heaven the government has got a “grip” on the virus! As for Sunee it has been on death’s door for years now it is passing through the threshold.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Thank heaven the government has got a “grip” on the virus!
    I know that was said in jest but we often read on here, and the other boards, how the Thai authorities have done a good job in fighting the virus and we should be grateful for that. Some writers tell us they love the “new” Thailand without pollution, tour busses and dammed foreigners.

Well just wait for the virus to flare up, which sooner or later is going to happen. Then you will all see draconian measures that will make everything pale into insignificance so far.

Australia thought they had it under control when they closed the borders. Look at the news from Melbourne today.

The USA were in self denial ...now look it it.

The UK told us they were doing an excellent job but screwed it up big time.

Thailand has just been lucky. So have its neighbours.

Liked

gerefan2 wrote.
    "Thailand has just been lucky. So have its neighbours."

Quite. Plane loads of Chinese were flying into Thailand as first Wuhan and then other cities in China were going into lockdown. I came on one of those planes and the 'checks' at Swampy were decidedly Thai in their thoroughness.

The countries that seem to have been badly hit have been the western countries that share certain characteristics. Overweight population, people simply ignoring rules, lots and lots of people in care homes and a health system that keeps those with underlying health conditions alive whereas in Thailand they're generally slim, followed the rules, few care homes and those with underlying health conditions are already dead because they can't afford the drugs.

8. 7 Users gave Like to post:

billyhouston (August 4th, 2020), christianpfc (August 4th, 2020), Dodger (August 3rd, 2020), GerBear1958 (August 7th, 2020), gerefan2 (August 3rd, 2020), snotface (August 3rd, 2020), TaoR (August 6th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post

I know that was said in jest but we often read on here, and the other boards, how the Thai authorities have done a good job in fighting the virus and we should be grateful for that.
    I don't think MFAS was jesting.

10. User who gave Like to post:

francois (August 3rd, 2020)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I don't think MFAS was jesting.
    Dodger is correct.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    The countries that seem to have been badly hit have been the western countries that share certain characteristics. Overweight population, people simply ignoring rules, lots and lots of people in care homes and a health system that keeps those with underlying health conditions alive whereas in Thailand they're generally slim, followed the rules, few care homes and those with underlying health conditions are already dead because they can't afford the drugs.
    Lots of Thais these days are definitely overweight, although not the older people. Agree about everything else you wrote.

Liked

Viruses love to hopscotch -- flare up there, die down over there only to flare up again. They also love to mutate and change subpopulations they infest. Today it might be the obese, tomorrow it might be the undernourished. Once the old, then the young (even newborns). And this goes on for a few years (not months) if the 1918 epidemic is any guide. So personally I would not be surprised to see the virus flare up in Thailand when it is her turn. Not surprised at all. There are signs of this now in Vietnam which previously had been squeaky clean of the virus.

I also suspect Trump will announce an October "surprise" -- a successful vaccine awaits, to be delivered in January -- as a last gasp for his re-election campaign. I wonder if the world will be strong enough to see that this ruse is wishful thinking and just another Trumpy lie. A successful vaccine will likely be delivered in January 2022 if past vaccine development cycles (like the Polio vaccine) are any guide.

Always remember this is a nasty, nasty illusive virus. It won't be tamed easily.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Manforallseasons (August 4th, 2020)