As many of you know I am not an insurance advisor nor do I happen to read every single sentence in all my agreements so I want to repeat a story I told you all long time ago. As you know I have been coming to Thailand every other month for many years until I decided to have an extended stay a long time ago.

After several months of claims my insurance company, Humana otherwise known as Employers Health casually asked if they could see a copy of my passport. Unwittingly I turned over a copy and thier response was that I had been out of the country for over 6 months or was it 90 days, I can't recall and that a very small provision of my policy stated that if I was going out of the USA for more than the period of time, I needed to contact them and pay and additional premium. Bottom line? Insurance cancelled and they demanded all the money back that had been paid out by them after the time that the insurance should have been void!

Of course my reaction was that they should have been very happy that I got ill outside of the USA where hospitalization is a fraction of what it is in the states and that liability was also but no they wanted to pay nothing. Now as all the problems are pre existing there is no health insurance company that would have the stupidity to touch me unless they had the pre existing clause and everything could be considered pre-existing so insurance for me is worthless.

Now God forbid something were really huge, I could return to the states and get low class free hospitalization but who wants that?! SSI/Disability for which I have applied for looks like it will be approved but Medicaid will not kick in until after 2 years on SSI/Disability and it does not pay for any medical care you recieve outside the USA.

Bottom line, check every insurance policy very carefully and ask all these questions! They love to take the money and not pay out.