List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking BF out of the country....?

Liked

Taking BF out of the country....?

As I continue putting together the plans for my next visit, I have another question for the collective wisdom of SGF members...

I would like to take BF out of the country for a short visit somewhere. I want to do something nice for him. show him some new things. and allow us some time together outside of the Thailand gay scene. I also have hope that at some point I could get him a Visa for the USA and that a history of us traveling together would be of benefit.

I am considering Hong Kong as a good first destination. About 2 1/2 hour plane trip (his first) and no Visa requirement for either of us, good infrastructure, nice hotels, etc. It is one of the places BF mentioned as someplace he would like to visit. I wanted someplace far enough away that it felt special (not a road trip up to Cambodia) but easy enough to endure for a first time traveler. I also wanted someplace I have not been to so we can explore together. BF is applying for his passport this week, and from what I can tell, should have it a couple of weeks later.

So, anyone have experience or story to share about taking such a trip with BF?

Also, if anyone has special advice or ideas about things to do or see in Hong Kong, any information would be appreciated. (I will check out the other forums for info as well....)
    The other possible destination was Singapore, but for some reason I would prefer Hong Kong. Am I wrong here?

As always, many thanks.

Liked

Re: Taking BF out of the country....?

I suggest Beijing (have taken bf there and he enjoyed it). It has a lot more to offer than HK - numerous historic buildings, great wall etc. You need visas but that's no problem. Language probably a bit more of a problem than in HK but not insuperable. Also took bf to Luang Prabang which he enjoyed too. No language problem there. But maybe not different enough.

Liked

A few years ago, we went to Hong Kong for a few days - the bf wanted to go to Disneyland; so we did that the first full day. We had booked a morning tour of Hong Kong for the next morning and then had plans to take one of the Harbor cruises in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the bf had a medical problem and we spent the day in a Government Hospital emergency room. Even so, I would recommend it as a nice get away; just wish we could have taken the tour and cruise (if I recall correctly, you can buy a ticket for one of the boats that lets you hop on and off to tour an area if you want - you catch the next boat to continue the cruise.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I did a long report on HKG with pics on another forum. You can find it here at the foot of the page -

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php? ... 72&start=0

As for gay venues, just look up sites like utopia-asia. Just off Hollywood Road and not far from SoHo, there is a nice small gay bar named T:ME. The best disco in town Propaganda is nearby. Let me know if you want any more info.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes, I have taken my Thai bf of 7 years to Hanoi, Vietnam; Singapore; Bali, Indonesia; and a few weeks ago Hong Kong. My Thai boyfriend prefers looking at modern buildings than "old" historical buildings or beaches (he doesn't want to get dark and we have beaches in Thailand). Infact, when we are in Chaingmai and I want to go temple exploring, he would rather do something else (would we Westerners want to walk around and look at churches all day?). I have been to Beijing by myself and enjoyed it because of the history, but everthing is spread out. I think Hong Kong would be a better choice since it is so easy to get around with the metro system (purchase an Octopus card); great restaurants in the So Ho area; wonderful view of the harbor on the star ferry at night (called Symphony of lights); some gay bars on the isand (we liked Volume Best on Saturday night -mix of Chinese and farang of all ages); and there are some gay saunas (we prefered Top Man on a Sunday afternoon; Escalator Sauna was a small dump).There are a few Thai restaurants but expensive (try Tuk Tuk in Soho area -delicious). Hong Kong is certainly more of a beautiful city with its mountains, bays, and towering skyscrapers. Also, everyone we ran into (the Chinese taxi drivers; hotel and store clerks; waiters....) could speak English where in Beijing it was frustrating to communicate - even when I had addresses written in Chinese. The HongKongese are certainly more polite and advanced than the local Beijing folks (due to the British occupation). (sorry to upset some of u readers with that comment) Though my Thai bf can speak basic English, he cannot read English, so he can become frustrated not being able to fill out his immigration card for customs; no Thai on the menu, just English; even the signs at the airport or train station. (Makes me realize how lucky I am to have English as my mother language.) The only upsetting thing that happens for us is when my Thai bf goes through Thai customs, they may ask "Why are you going to Hong Kong?" and when he goes through passport control at Singapore or Hong Kong, he was asked the same question and how many days would he stay. (The governments are afraid that he is looking for a job illegally.) This upsets me more than him since why do countries think EVERY Thai is in this category? My bf is a tailor and has his own shop, he would never be happy outside of Thailand (he can't live without his spicy food). Hong Kong or Singapore isn't exactyly Utopia; infact, look at how many Hongese or Singapore muscleboys jump on a plane on a Friday evening to spend their gay weekend in Bangkok? By the way, make sure your bf has an updated passport; also make sure he has a business card of the hotel where you are staying and some spending money just in case you get separated in the city.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Disneyland is a great idea as there is nothing in Thailand to compare. Thais seem to enjoy gambling why not take him to Macau, if he doesn't gamble he should be taken with all those tacky Vegas type hotels.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

The first thing you have to do is make a shortlist of all the places you can take him to that do not require a visa or are the easiest to get one for. This will narrow your list down considerably.

Then remember to try and think like a Thai when you chose a place as my experience has been that what we would find interesting or fun is as boring as hell for some of them. Also remember he needs to come back and raise his status with his friends as having been somewhere really cool and not just down the road.

As far as UK and I am sure the USA, as numerous posts will tell you, the visa is all about money and security in Thailand that he will have a desire to come back to and not want to stay in the US and UK.

Quote Originally Posted by thanatorn
    .....a shortlist of all the places you can take him to that do not require a visa or are the easiest to get one for.....
    Now, that would be useful!

In the distant past think I did see such a list someplace, sometime, somewhere :dontknow:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I believe all the SE Asian countries do not require visas for Thais. When we went to Vietnam, I (USA) had to get a travel visa; my Thai bf did not. Of course, for a Thai ( who does not have a fat bank account) can have great difficulty obtaining a travel visa into the USA. Unfortunately, I have given up on my Thai friend to see my country.

Liked

Wow. Some great responses here. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Fountainhall...awesome post that you linked to. (and I did very much enjoy the pictures from Taiwan from that thread also... :love4: )
    I may PM you with some additional questions once I digest all the info....if you don't mind.

2lz2p: thanks for the Disneyland idea. It occurred to me as well. Did you and the BF have a good time there?
    Sorry to hear of his medical issue. Hopefully all is well now...

Thrillbill...thanks to you as well for all the information from your recent trip to Hong Kong. Our BFs sound very similar. New buildings better than ancient sites and an aversion to the sun darkening the skin...It will be interesting to see how he copes with being out of Thailand.
    How long did you stay in Hong Kong? I am thinking 3 days would be a good amount of time. I am hesitant to stay too long for his first trip.
    Did you visit Disneyland? Did BF like it? I think mine will so we may give it a shot...

Also sorry to hear you have given up on BF visiting the US. I have read many of the stories on here and other places about the difficulties of getting a Visa and the blatantly unfair denial of due consideration. I continue to hold hope that one day this will be possible, perhaps once gay marriage becomes federally recognized. I continue to be embarrassed by how our country treats potential visitors.....

Thanks again everyone. If any other advice or experiences are out there, please let me know.