Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Country Living in LOS

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Country Living in LOS

During my last holiday I spent nearly 2 ┬╜ months living in a farming village in Isaan, and now see this as a possible alternative to living in places like The Extreme City or the Big Mango when I retire.

Having the advantage of really enjoying country life is the key motivator here. Those who donтАЩt would not even want to consider this.

During my time there, I met three farangs who meet daily at the one-and-only coffee shop in the town of Kantharalak , all of whom live in the country surrounding Kantharalak on a full-time basis. One guy is still working as an English teacher at one of the local schools, and the other two are retired. All three are str8 and living with Thai girls whom they met during their earlier travels to LOS.

A few things these gentlemen all seemed to share in common included the fact that they enjoyed country living, emphasizing the health factors, e.g., low stress environment, healthy organic food diets, clean air, warm and friendly people, and last but not least, the fact that living there was almost free. Almost free meaning, each of them have homes which they had built, girl friends who did all the cooking with ingredients which were either tugged from the garden or purchased from the local market for dirt cheap prices, and needed no more than motorbikes to get them around.

After listening to these guys, I found myself comparing their lifestyles to those whom I have met who survive on low fixed incomes when they retire, in places like Pattaya or Bangkok. Many of these guys are forced to live in small (sometimes flea-bitten) hotel rooms and walk around the food stores looking for dented cans on sale just to be able to maintain their tight budgets. Many of the guys I know in these circumstances also use their extra cash for offing boys тАУ which of course is their primary purpose for living in places like this. So, having said that, I guess another key prerequisite to living in the country would be having a steady boy in tow.

One of the three farangs seemed content to never leave the country as he is a degreed Horticulturist and enjoys spending all of his time in the garden with his wife. The other two balanced their time in the country with routine trips to other places, e.g., Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket, etc. These are the guys I listened to the most, as even though I love the country aspects, I would want (need) to get away to the big cities routinely myself if living there.

As I mentioned in my last trip report, you can build a nice smaller home in Isaan for about 200,000 bt, and a large (two story) home for about 300,000 bt excluding the land.

It is not possible for a farang to purchase land or a home in LOS, which of course, like everything else here in LOS, must be in a Thais name. I opted to re-build my BFтАЩs parents home, which includes a second level for he and I to reside, versus purchasing a home of our own for the time being, as I need more time to determine if our relationship is going to last before going on the hook for another home (in his name). As crass as this may sound, the money IтАЩve been saving by living with him and his family in the country versus roosting in Pattaya and living on the party scene - has offset the money I spent building his family a house. I was literally able to build this home for them with the money I saved from a few past holiday budgets. There are many homes speckling the Isaan country-side which were purchased by farangs for their Thai lovers тАУ with no sign of the farang in sight if you get my drift.

If you have a place to live thatтАЩs paid for, you can live a quality life in the country for less than 10,000 baht per month, not including the money you would be spending on those monthly trips to the big city. There are more boys running around in the country than you could shake a stick at, and frankly, I see this number increasing over-time as the sex scene in LOS dissolves and the boys are forced to return to the farm fieldsтАжjust a thought.

The boys in the country donтАЩt ever approach a farang in the same manner as they do on the working scene. I think that fact should be obvious to most, although IтАЩve heard many comments by farangs to the contrary in the past. They are almost always a little shy and reserved, although very eager to meet you and get to know you better.

I met a country boy like this once in the town of Phrae (north-central LOS) during the towns Songkran celebration, who was, to say the least, a very hot number. He almost insisted on being my guide as I splish-splashed along the sois with a camcorder in one hand and a Singha in the other. The day ended with the two of us back at my hotel room showering together, followed by a toss in the hay that IтАЩll never forget. I turned down the offer to meet with him again, as I think he was a bit youngтАжIтАЩll blame my decision to invite him back to my loom on the Singha and hot afternoon sun. I handed the boy 500 baht and referred to this as just a little beer money. He was more than elated.

My retirement is still a long way up the road, and my plans are always in a constant state of flux, so IтАЩm not really sure what the outcome will be, but IтАЩm glad to have found country life as just one more option.

If your thing is golfing, shopping in big stores and going to nightly cabarets, the country would not be for you тАУ even on a part-time basis, but if you could see yourself fishing in the day time and sitting under the stars with your BF on those quiet evenings, you just may want to give it a try.

2. User who gave Like to post:

ktq (June 5th, 2020)

Sounds great, except for the part about spending every afternoon in a bar moaning with a bunch of other farangs.

Very interesting post. As you are not retired yet I suppose you supporting the boy (and his family) when you not stay there? How much will that be for things like electricity, water etc and for living expenditure?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Country Living in LOS

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    If your thing is golfing, shopping in big stores and going to nightly cabarets, the country would not be for you тАУ even on a part-time basis, but if you could see yourself fishing in the day time and sitting under the stars with your BF on those quiet evenings, you just may want to give it a try.
    That was another great post, Dodger тАУ thank you. I think your last paragraph is really the crux of the matter, but thereтАЩs a bit more to it than that.

The idea of some day retiring to the slower lifestyle of the countryside there intrigues me, but when IтАЩm actually there and away from what many of us have rightly or wrongly come to feel are тАЬnecessary comfortsтАЭ I realize IтАЩd have to make some major changes in not only my way of looking at things (read: adopting more of the mai pen rai attitude) but more importantly my expectations of living conditions and comfort.

For example, being raised and living in a place where consistent running water and electricity arenтАЩt given any thought save for the odd storm-related brief outages IтАЩd have to make more than a minor effort to adjust to what we falang would say was more akin to camping out. I suspect that after a couple of days next door to the paddies IтАЩd look like most of the participants on тАЬSurvivorтАЭ after a few weeks in the jungle, able to play dot-to-dot with hundreds of bug bites. The last time I proposed visiting my friendтАЩs home out in the country he said тАЬtoo many mokeeto for you!!тАЭ Obviously IтАЩm making a gross exaggeration here about a specific way of living and (again) obviously there are dwellings of all types, but I think you get what IтАЩm talking about.

The tranquility of being out in the country with someone I was happy to be with day and night (which is what a real relationship is for most people, as an FYI to the butterflies) sounds quite appealing, though. IтАЩve long said as long as I had access to books, some way to keep up with my work other than longhand on paper and some internet access that I could live most anywhere with my significant other, and that would include a spot in Issan, I suspect.

You seem to be more accommodating and willing to roll with the punches than many and I would imagine you could be quite comfortable with your plans. I envy your dedication to trying and hope it works out well if you make the quantum leap and try making a go of it.

Either way, IтАЩm always happy to read your posts! Thanks for sharing the time to write and post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    Sounds great, except for the part about spending every afternoon in a bar moaning with a bunch of other farangs.
    Ditto - with that as the highlight of the day the only good thing would be that the nearest hospital would be so far away that, after finally getting there in the back of a drunken neighbour's rusty pick-up truck after I had slashed my wrists when I realised that this was all I had to look forward to, they would be too late and too incompetent to stop my permanent departure.

When I have stayed with my partner in his village the best thing about it by far was that there were no farangs there to spoil the experience.

I envy those that can adapt to rural life. The food situation would be my downfall as I just cannot eat the thai food. At home I do not eat fast food butwhen in thailand I am daily at one of the fast food outlet for either dinner or lunch. Breakast I am a tea and toast person so i could get by with that. Also those squat toliet s would have to go and a hot shower would haveto be added. Then you will find a very nice house but you step in and there is no furniture and you sit on the floor. The pro for me is I am an outdoor person and love the animals. About the most remote I can think of would be Chiang Mai's outer ring.

Liked
    I've spent a few days in BF's village on several occasions and admit that sort of life has definite attractions--in some ways it's like small-town America of 40 or 50 years ago--Mayberry with motorbikes. However, I think an absolute prerequisite to a long-term residence there (besides an adequate outside income) would be fluency in Thai. Everybody has always been very friendly to me, but almost nobody speaks any English. ( I'm not saying they should.) Communicating with smiles and nods and"Sawatdee khrap" gets old pretty quickly. I could only really speak with BF and maybe one or two of his friends. If I were ever to even consider staying in the country for an extended period of time, I'd have to learn to speak Thai first.

Liked
    Once again an interesting post, Dodger, thanks. I once lived in rural Ireland for a year - not as basic as rural Isaan - and enjoyed it for the time I was there, but found the isolation difficult to handle. Captain Swing makes a good point too about the necessity of speaking the language. I could do a few days, but guess I'm just a city boy at heart.

Thanks again, your insights are always interesting to read.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked: 1
    I must admit that I do love big cities, but any notion of an idyllic country sojourn is generally dislodged within a few hours of arrival in my bf's village by significant boredom.

Once the general excitement of our arrival has worn off in the family compound, everything reverts to what appears to be the day-to-day humdrum of country life. Lots of sitting around, talking, talking, talking, punctuated by cooking, then back to talking, then a few hours of TV at the end of the day. No one speaks English except my bf, and I don't speak Thai well enough, or any Isaan. I've seen what there is to see and do in and around the village, and the nearest 'bright lights' (Khon Kaen) are an hour or more away.

I enjoy seeing the bf in his natural environment and interacting with his family. But his parents in particular are very shy and have said about two words to me in half a dozen or more visits. His aunties are much more talkative ... in Thai. But we are all fluent in hand signals !

The food is not really a problem for me. Several dishes are usually cooked for the clan, I suspect generally including one that is 'dumbed down' for me. My bf generally helps his mother with the cooking or does it himself. But basically I eat what everyone else eats, minus some of the spicy sauces. It's fairly simple stuff - chopped chicken or pork (my bf doesn't eat beef), a few vegetables, maybe a whole fish, and of course rice. And invariably delicious.

Of course there is a different mindset between just visiting for a few days as I do (incl staying with the bf in the local hotel), and knowing you'll be there for weeks, as Dodger was. I don't necessarily come prepared to keep myself entertained. So I'm wondering what you did Dodger to amuse yourself for 2 1/2 months ?

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Swing
    I've spent a few days in BF's village on several occasions and admit that sort of life has definite attractions--in some ways it's like small-town America of 40 or 50 years ago--Mayberry with motorbikes.
    Mayberry?
    I though of something more like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2WlYgDe1Vs[/youtube]

And, after heavy consumption of the local made Lao rice whiskey you'll start talking to the barn animals and they might talk back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU&feature=related[/youtube]
    E Dok Tong