I know it's early days yet - I only arrived a few hours ago - but I thought I'd get started on laos.
First of all, you don't need a photo for a visa. I inadvertedly left my photos in my checked-in luggage and was told by Thai airways crew that i could get my polaroid taken at Immigration. Wrong! I got to Immigration and was told they could just scan my photo from my passport and it would cost $1. Wrong! it was free. I was also told a visa cost $35. Wrong! It cost $30. Christ, doesn't anybody know anything these days??
I had arranged an airport pick-up from my hotel - the Lao orchid- but noone was waiting for me. I took a taxi into town. I was told it cost $5. Wrong! It is $7!!
My hotel is in a fantastic position, right on the mekong and 15 metres away from the GQ bar. I had an email from the hotel saying that i could take a guest back to my room but they would not be responsible for anything lost. Fair enough.
I had read up a bit on Vientiane, especially the comments made by Kevin, and so had a number of places I needed to find in a hurry. Wandering around, I found them all in about an hour. I'm talking about Heng Heng massage, the fountain where guys gather at night (I hope), the CCC bar, Alexia Tex-Mex restaurant,The Sengtawan hotel which has massage downstairs where you can get a happy ending, as well as other places recommended by Kevin.
It's now time for a shower and then i think I'll wander down to GQ. I hope I can give a glowing report tomorrow. (Fingers crossed!)