Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Gay travel in Laos

Gay travel in Laos

Hi there, I spent a couple of weeks in Laos recently visiting Vientiane, Vang Vieng (sure that is not how to spell it) and Luang Prabang.

I was helped out a lot by a guy called Santi at Gay Laos Travel.

The websiste is www.wix.com/gradeaservices/laosgaytravel

They can help with transport, hotels, guides, interpreters - the whole thing.

If you are planning a visit (45minute flight from BKK) its worth seeing what they can do for you.

P

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Gay travel in Laos

your spelling of VgVg is correct. AND: did you avoid that horrible tubing down the river, those pissed drunk bekpekkers away from home 1st time and seezing any chance to get drunk and laid? OZzies unable to pronounce 1 sentence without 2 times the f..ing word in it? About 20 deaths a year due to reckless irresponsible drunken behavior? (pity my former colleagues who then have to organize all the travel-inssurance recovery after that in the midst of nowhere). The utmost corrupt Lao police cashing in on those youngies thinking its like home and they can do the weeds? Is it really that a gay agent can help you to avoid all that? Now,-if they could, that would indeed be wonderful. Perhaps it might even lead me to use their services-undecided if the idea of doitall on your own is better or not.

Yeah - I managed to avoid the tubing. Santi from Laos Gay Travel organised a long tailed boat trip on the river instead. Much more relaxing. And there are a lot of back packers in VV - but also more mature travellers staying in nice hotels. Its not a big place and a couple of days there would be enough for most people. Better to spend time in Luang Prabang - its very cosmopolitan.

Liked

Pete--What did you think of Vientiene? I am going to take a 3-4 night side trip from Thailand up to Laos in April. I was going to just fly directly to Luang Parabang for three nights but now I am thinking of heading to Vientiene for a Saturday/Sunday night(maybe check out some of the gay nightlife--I know it's low key) and then fly on to Luang Parabang for a couple of nights. Or should I stick with my original plan of just Luang Prabang?

Liked

personally I did not enjoy Vientianne all that much. But I went there after spending several days in LP which I loved so that might have had something to do with it. But it is worth seeing Pha That Luang and I know some people hate Patuxai but I enjoyed the view from the top. So I don't think spending a weekend there is a terrible idea. There are some really nice bakeries there. :-) And you can take this with a bit of a grain of salt since I was only there in 2008.

Whereas Luang Prabang is definitely the highlight - I think it is worth having a look at the capital city. There is enough touristy stuff to do for a couple of days. I stayed in both a 12 dollar a night place and a 300 dollar a night place and there is everything in between. The gay life is low key - it helps if you have someone to show you around. The GC bar was quiet and one called CCC was busy one night and quiet the next. There were a couple of lady boys hanging around on a street corner obviously looking for business.

Its worth getting in touch with Santi at Laos Gay Travel via his website - he can advise you.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pete9999
    Whereas Luang Prabang is definitely the highlight
    Isn't it full of American tourists and Australian backpackers?
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Isn't everywhere.......?

Liked

OMG tell me the place you are booked into, so I can avoid it.