Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Songkran - Love it or Hate it?

Liked

Songkran - Love it or Hate it?

Songkran is the time of the year when Thais have so much fun and don't have to restrain themselves. For those of you that visit or live in Thailand during Songkran, do you love it or hate it?

Re: Songkran - Love it or Hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor69
    Songkran is the time of the year when Thais have so much fun and don't have to restrain themselves. For those of you that visit or live in Thailand during Songkran, do you love it or hate it?

I guess I'm in the minority. I hate it and always make sure I'm away at that time of the year.

Liked

I make sure I am not in Thailand the entire week that Songkran is "celebrated" in Pattaya. I had a few negative experiences that simply turned me off:

In Bangkok I was walking home with my notebook computer in my backpack and some asshole poured a potful of water into my backpack.

In Pattaya, riding a baht bus down Jomtien Beach Road after sunset to meet friends for a nice dinner -- dressed in a nice (somewhat expensive) casual shirt and pants -- another asshole threw a bucket full of water at the moving vehicle and the water was mixed with something that permanently stained -- i.e. ruined -- my shirt. (I had naievely thought that the water throwing would stop at sunset.)

Yeah, folks, have fun while I'm gone.
    [size=7][color=#0000FF][i]"quiet1":[/i] the poster previously known as [i]"bkk gwm"[/i][/color][/size]

Liked

I generally hate it. If I'm involved though I try to make the best of it. It's a great time to meet people.

Liked

I have experienced Songkran a couple of times so far and loved it. I've only participated in BKK. I might try Songkran in Pattaya next time.
    Keep your Twinkie in the wrapper or your cream may cause trouble.

I played two years and had a good time, actually an excellent time.
    I then read that over 800 young Thais die in motorbike crashes that DAY and the police blame Sangkran and losing control of the motorbikes, not to mention the loss of drinking water and the fact that we have little as it is.
    I chose not to be a part of it anymore and hope that more and more people realize the negative impact it has on us (which they wont) and give it a break. Afterall, the young will certainly need drinking water as they grow older.

When Songkran is in Bangkok those 4 days, I am in Pattaya. When it stops for 2 days, I race to Bangkok and check into the Shangri -la resort and Sangkran comes to Pattaya. I relax in Bagkok and keep myself inside the Shangrila comlex where there are all the amenities, restaurants, etc I need and avoid the water. When it ends, I come back.
    Oh and I bring a trick or two! :happy7:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    Afterall, the young will certainly need drinking water as they grow older.
    Unkie/Justy, have you thought of having a fund raiser in your bar to help preserve drinking water for the children? Wouldn't that be a good idea?

Liked

Hi
    I will be in Thailand during Songkran,but will try to avoid the "worst" days in both Bangkok and Pattaya. Can anyone give the exact dates for this? :kap: :kap:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

doesn't much matter to me either way.
    don't have to love it but kinda fun.
    definitely don't hate it, but a pain at times.

Quote Originally Posted by tomas1
    Hi
    I will be in Thailand during Songkran,but will try to avoid the "worst" days in both Bangkok and Pattaya. Can anyone give the exact dates for this? :kap: :kap:
    Songkran officially in Bangkok is Aril 13 - 15th. Sunday is the 17th so I am not sure if some may look for extra gratification or not.

Songkran in Pattaya and many of the outlying cities is April 15 - 17th with the 17th being the worst day as it is Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Diec
    Unkie/Justy, have you thought of having a fund raiser in your bar to help preserve drinking water for the children? Wouldn't that be a good idea? Afterall, the young will certainly need drinking water as they grow older.

A very original and awsome idea! I guess the question would be, where the funds get deposited to. I mean is there something already set up?
    Please give it some thought as to how it would be handled any suggestions and get back to me either through a PM or by emailing me at info@happyplacebar.com I am usually also at the bar, out front between 8:30pm and 11pm every night. WOW, that is a great idea. Thanks!
    :alc: