List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pattaya people you love to hate!

Liked

Pattaya people you love to hate!

Sorry to bring us back to Pattaya again, but the recent threads on the place made me think about how, in spite of the fact that it's not terribly big, it does seem to attract some of the oddest people that I, for one, have ever seen or heard.

As a frequent visitor, I repeatedly come across people whose overheard conversation (why do people feel the need to speak so loudly on the beach or into their mobile phones?) or other activities imprint themselves on my consciousness and, over time and probably for utterly irrational reasons, make me take an intense dislike to them, even though I don't know them at all and have never actually spoken to them.

Perhaps I can give a couple of examples of such characters. Maybe others would like to add more and we'll see if there are any who we all recognise...

(1) a guy looking like an ageing hippy who, a few years ago, could be found repeatedly driving around the Day-Night area in an open topped four-wheel-drive vehicle with an elaborate sound system and huge freestanding speakers through which he blared music and some sort of personalised fanfare to indicate his arrival at a bar. He would stagger out of the (chauffeur-driven, I seem to recall) vehicle looking rather the worse for wear, go into the bar for a few minutes, come out again (cue for the in-car noise to begin again) and then tootle off - usually in the direction of Sunee Plaza - only to return again 30 minutes later.

(2) a Jomtien Beach regular who frequently seeks (in a very loud and hence involuntarily overheard voice) to impress the more naive and impressionable beach boys by telling them that he is an ex-cop, has killed lots of people in his time and is quite capable of taking out anyone in Thailand who double-crosses (or perhaps merely just crosses?) him.

The vast majority of people I have met in Pattaya over many years - especially the Thais - have been delightful. Maybe the two I have pinpointed are really very nice people too. Maybe, to others, I myself am just as weird in behaviour/conversation.

But Pattaya certainly seems to be a place where you begin to suspect that a surprisingly high proportion of ex-pat residents must be living because of their innate social ineptitude and/or their inability to fit in successfully in the land of their birth.

In which case, maybe they can only feel at home (and in the position they would like to occupy in life) in a country like Thailand where many inhabitants award them "status" merely because of their farang birth and not because of their real human qualities or abilities?

"The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

I really couldn't agree with you more.....Pattaya, sin city and all it's pathetic ex-pat nonsense.
    The comment on this board from some illustrious members are responsible for my choosing Chiang Mai again for vacation. I have been in Thailand many, many times so God knows how a Thailand first timer views the claptrap of some posters here!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I see

"a Jomtien Beach regular who frequently seeks (in a very loud and hence involuntarily overheard voice) to impress the more naive and impressionable beach boys by telling them that he is an ex-cop, has killed lots of people in his time and is quite capable of taking out anyone in Thailand who double-crosses (or perhaps merely just crosses?) him. "

so you've met Hedda then ?
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

One of my favorite saying is: "The only normal people are the ones that you don't know very well." In Pattaya you see people as they are, or wish they were. At a certain point in life one realizes that what others think is pure bull shit, unless, of course, they are the ones paying your bills. I love to see those who have realized that their time in the sun is now, and they take off on their own screwy journey. Enjoy life, it is much much shorter than death.

I, for one, love the spectator sport of people watching. Pattaya and Jomtien are among the best viewing spots on earth. Anytime I'm feeling a little down I just start remembering some of my fondest memories: The huge man iwearing a G string...with so much fat hanging down that you could see nothing but grotesque fat, and the bottom of a hairy crack . The man wearing a wig that for all the world looks like he has a dead cat on his head. The mamasan, with a big smile, trying to explain to a customer that the boy he wanted would not go with him because he was obnoxious, drunk, and smelled like shit.

Compared to most of the locals, I would have to describe Hedda as "normal."

Liked

Re: I see

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    "a Jomtien Beach regular who frequently seeks (in a very loud and hence involuntarily overheard voice) to impress the more naive and impressionable beach boys by telling them that he is an ex-cop, has killed lots of people in his time and is quite capable of taking out anyone in Thailand who double-crosses (or perhaps merely just crosses?) him. "
    I was thinking Mr John Botting. How do you think he got to be Top Gun in the Pattaya Jaycees? (Or is it Kiwanis Club? Or the Shriners?)

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Re: I see

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    Surely Hedda infests Sunee during the daytime, reading the newspapers?

Liked

Marsillius

Without a doubt all you say is true. I think I saw 5 or 6 that resemble the huge guy you describe so well. On the other hand, Think of the guys playing volleyball in the afternoon. with the sun glistening off their sports induced sweat. Hmmmm slightly moistened shoulders and backs are a sight for sore eyes. The guys themselves donning the swim attire of the young and slim. When I think of the beach I seem to think more of the nice Thai guys at Rits who save my favorite chair for me and then make sure the towel is tucked in place for me, before offering to bring me my adult beverage to start the day off. It is a Tony Soprano type of thing, "You have to make the small things count and be important." I won't even go into the day I was singimg along with my MP3 player, and some very nice gentleman asked me to stop singing. I know I sound good in the shower, but I guess not so hot on the beach. I hope singers are not on your hit list.

somebody loves him

Quote Originally Posted by Soi 10 Tom
    I, for one, love the spectator sport of people watching. Pattaya and Jomtien are among the best viewing spots on earth. Anytime I'm feeling a little down I just start remembering some of my fondest memories: The huge man iwearing a G string...with so much fat hanging down that you could see nothing but grotesque fat, and the bottom of a hairy crack .
    and .....

Liked
    Ah, yes - I'd forgotten about the guy on the beach with the ill-fitting wig! But, for me, he's not in the same category - good luck to him, I say, if he thinks (even erroneously) that it improves his appearance. No, he's not impinging on my space/sensibilities like the ones I have described above, so I have no beef with him.

[By the way, Smiles, the "ex-cop" is American (so loud, in fact, that I can even be specific as to the city) while dear Mr John Botting, I seem to recall, is British!!!]

Any more nominees for Pattaya "characters" who provoke a strong reaction even though known only by sight?
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

Re: somebody loves him

Quote Originally Posted by padlom
    Quote Originally Posted by Soi 10 Tom
    I, for one, love the spectator sport of people watching. Pattaya and Jomtien are among the best viewing spots on earth. Anytime I'm feeling a little down I just start remembering some of my fondest memories: The huge man iwearing a G string...with so much fat hanging down that you could see nothing but grotesque fat, and the bottom of a hairy crack .
    and .....

I'll be damned...FINALLY - many have asked for it...

The famed paparazzi press photographers
    have finally caught "bad boy billy" ...wx40afp et all...
    in all (or almost all) his splendor and glory...
    at a Jomtien Beach parking lot...
    doing what he does best...
    with whomever is his fancy for the moment!

I wonder who the pour soul was ...
    bad boy billy had for dessert ? ...or was it an early morning breakfast ????

and to think...that cute, thai produce truck driver was only trying ...
    to make his early morning deliveries of fresh produce to his customers...
    and what does he get?? ....bad boy billy ...wx40afp :-)

Such wonders in this age of digital cameras!

TJ
    Tj