Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Gentrification of Sunnee Plaza, love it or hate it??

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Gentrification of Sunnee Plaza, love it or hate it??

Over the last few years, Sunnee Plaza has changed and not everyone thinks it has changed for the better.. I am referring to the upgrading and
    improvements in many of the bars and dining establishments..
    Krazy Dragon replacing Krazy Pub was a startling change and one I welcomed with both hands but several friends miss the old sleaze that was..
    Corner Bar replacing the former hell hole that was there was another startling change and very welcome but some miss the old sleaze that was..
    Now a really big one with Clubber replacing the misguided Spotlight (old farangs want a disco to go with their boys???), Luna (nobody really needs
    to watch ladyboys dancing or do they???) and the pedobars most likely to be raided and change its name and the pidgeon hole rooms above.. I applaud
    the farangs with the vision to spend lots of baht to replace the sleaze with upscale and gentrified places..Kudos and Bravo to them...

The only danger I can see is, if what happened to Times Square in NYC happens here..Times Square used to be very sleazy and dangerous but
    it was exciting in some ways..Now that it has been gentrified and there is a Disneyland feel, it has totally lost its former excitement but it was the
    price of change..I can't imagine Sunnee going Disney but the crazy rabbit image of Clubber feels a little like a Disney toon..still, I love it....

Actually the closing down of the sleaze of Times Square was because the city of New York made sleaze there illegal. So it was really very top down, not an organic process at all, and no real comparison to Sunnee. Re Sunee if it gets too posh (I am not holding my breath) I am sure another dodgy ghetho will pop up to fill the need.

Maybe

As I sat at White Night having dinner I started to think about the differences in Boyztown and Sunee. Ir\t has seemed to me that Sunee is a bit busier than Boyztown right now.

One of the things that I like about Sunee now that it has under gone some positive changes is that it has a more authentic Thai city feel to it. More carts for food wandering about, a good mix of places to eat, comfortable beer bars, a few go-go clubs (although I feel Boyztown clubs are managed much better and larger). Sunee seems to have much lower prices in general. It seems more relaxed too.

A real negative to me though is the group (gang) of kids that like to run their motorbikes up and down the soi sometimes fighting with each other. Since there are many Thai apartments in this area, the neighborhood kids do need someplace to go other than the many Internet and game shops so the street rightfully becomes their playground. Boyztown and Jomtien seem not to have that situation.

OK

Quote Originally Posted by boygeorge
    This CLUBBER GROUP will be another bullshit bunch of hopefuls.Give them a year and they will be selling up.The money is in GIRLS and TRANSEXUALS.
    The girl bars and Trannie bars are always full,but boy bars arent.
    If I was out to make money I would definetely go for a Girlie Go go bar . Your customers are everyone from Footy Teams,and blokes on a fuck and piss up holiday.
    There is a oversupply of Gay go go bars.
    You may be right BG, who is to know unless you are a business owner and seeing the profits or losses as maybe. My opinion is that there is definitely more money in the girly bars, but it is spread around so many bars as to make the difference imaterial. The girlie bars, as I stated in another post, may look full when passing by briskly on foot or motocyke, but if you stop and look you will see that there are about 10 girls to every guy in the bar.

As for Sunee, I agree with Pattaya Male. I like the fact that there are more open air beer bars, it makes the place feel more relaxed and cosmoplitan and if you are a bar hopper you don't feel forced into the gogo bars. Unless I am mistaken, Boyztown/Pattayaland only has THREE beer bars (right next to each other) in which to sit outside (possibly five if you add in the seating outside the Ambiance/Boyz complex and Le Cafe Royale - but I don't really count these). I am only impressed with one of the gogo bars in Sunee and the others I have visited only once. The drinks are much cheaper in Sunee, I assume due to a combination of trying to encourage guys away from the more well known Boyztown and also due to the cheaper rents in Sunee. Finally, because it is off the main tourist walking track (Beach Rd and 2nd Road), there is definitely less straight couples or groups wandering around giggling behind their hands at how daring and risque they are venturing into the gay ghetto.

Sunnee busier than Boyztown?

DELETED

Liked

what tiger beer

why not drink a tiger beer at home with b/f only 26 baht more fun

love it or hate it but you don't have a choice

the place is certainly changing but it still has plenty of life in yet. Getting the kiddies of the streets has been a positive move and I can see Sunnee will be booming soon and making Boyztown look tired and old hat. It's in the nature of all nightspot areas to rise and fall over time..and Sunnee's heyday is yet to come. Enjoy it while you can.

Don't fear..there will still be plenty of sleaze lurkng around the corners for those who fancy it.

(the Clubbing thing is just strange)

Welcome back Pearl

DELETED

Re: love it or hate it but you don't have a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl of the Orient
    ... Don't fear..there will still be plenty of sleaze lurkng around the corners for those who fancy it.

(the Clubbing thing is just strange)
    Actually, talking of sleaze, I was on my way home late the other night and popped into the gogo bar by Yensabi Condo, cannot remember the name for the life of me. I was virtually dragged in by one boy for one drink ... why am I trying to justify myself. Well, one Farang was in there, I got my drink and within minutes the farang had three guys around him doing chackwow. To my eternal shame, two joined me and then a further two joined the other Farang. If you want sleaze look in on this quiet little place. And it looks such a respectable little place too :blackeye: