Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living With The Tiger

elephantspike

Living With The Tiger

Has anyone heard of this film? It's about a Children's A.I.D.S. Hospice, like Baan Gerda http://www.baangerda.org/

[youtube:38sia6ph]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPePjaU8bN4[/youtube:38sia6ph]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Living With The Tiger

YUes I've heard of it-and seen it. Tis home has been adopted by a group of Dutch travel agencies/tourist guides and gets visited and presented with donations in cash and kind a few times a year.
    There must be some 100+ of these places sprerad out all over Thailand-but mostly in the north.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Heartbreaking stuff, kids being born with AIDS. I wonder if, with the drugs available these days they can live to a substantial age like 40 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Heartbreaking stuff, kids being born with AIDS. I wonder if, with the drugs available these days they can live to a substantial age like 40 or more.
    In the western world yes in all probability they would live into old age, but in Thailand especially not having much individual wealth then maybe not. Thank God there are such organisations such as this one which help these little kids. Medications have come a long way so one never knows what is down the road to help them live a normal life span.

Why is it any more shocking than kids born with other potentially fatal congential illnesses - cystic fibrosis for example?

Liked

Thanks, I just sent some money.
    Very heart rending.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Why is it any more shocking than kids born with other potentially fatal congential illnesses - cystic fibrosis for example?
    It's not. It's just as heartbreaking as other conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by combat
    In the western world yes in all probability they would live into old age, but in Thailand especially not having much individual wealth then maybe not. Thank God there are such organisations such as this one which help these little kids. Medications have come a long way so one never knows what is down the road to help them live a normal life span.
    Yeah true... you never know when they'll find that cure. I have a friend born with a fatal viral disease. It's such a shame as she is gorgeous looking and very successful, has everything going for her, but probably won't make it past middle age and can't have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Yeah true... you never know when they'll find that cure. I have a friend born with a fatal viral disease. It's such a shame as she is gorgeous looking and very successful, has everything going for her, but probably won't make it past middle age and can't have kids.
    The AIDS Virus is such a 'smart virus' that it is unlikely that a cure as such will ever be found as the virus hides in various places such as the brain where it is hard to eradicate. The medications available now, and being worked on, do a very good job at holding the amount of HIV cells to a manageable level which keeps the immune system active. One of the long term outlooks is that as medication becomes more widely available the virus will eventually be eradicated with less people infecting others. This of course is a long way away even though the signs are showing positive in some African countries where medication has been available for some time.

As Scotty points out any illness that effects children is heart breaking no matter what it is.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yeah, I guess that's why in 20 years - or however long it's been going - they haven't found a cure yet.

I have a hypothesis (don't know if it's proven anywhere) that one challenge with fighting HIV may be this self-perpetuating dynamic that the more prevalent it is, the more cautious people generally are. The less prevalent it is (e.g. if all the prevention campaigns actually work) the more careless and risk-taking people are likely to be, which of course leads to it becoming more prevalent again. It's a self-perpetuating thing...

It shocks me that anyone out there at all - especially well educated Westerners - would still have any unprotected sex at all in this day and age, but people obviously aren't entirely rational and are willing to take that risk... perhaps more so if they feel the odds are lower.

Anyway, hopefully Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or someone with the means will pump billions into research (if they haven't already) and eventually hit on a cure or at least a vaccine. If not... maybe some day I will :P

I think that the major concern of the World Heath Auth is to try to kerb the spread in the developing world. Some extensive research has already been carried out in Europe that sheds a positive light on the virus not being passed on by people having unprotected sex who are HIV+ but taking medication and having a non detectable viral load of under 30 counts. This is why in some cases a drop in the number of new infections has shown up. Of course this is not the answer, as having unprotected sex is of course very dangerous, but with the Catholic Church etc.. not promoting condom use and the lack of good sex education some countries where there is a strong Catholic following don't abide to what is and can be a life saver.