Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BF accused of being a drug dealer

Liked

BF accused of being a drug dealer

Hi All
    Just thought i'd share an interesting story of village life in thailand....

Over the last few months BF (with my money) has been extending his home to include an indoor kitchen, dining area, utility room and farang style toilet to the home that we built on his land in Buriram in 2003-2004.

It's nothing fancy- just a basic extension to the existing structure

For the last week he has been in Pattaya and Bkk sorting out paperwork to do with a visa application and returned to the village today to find that he has been declared by some folk as a yaba/drug dealer... this rumour has started to spread

Their logic is:
    - Money to build an extension
    - Money to buy a motorbike (actually it's leased)
    - Lots of young guys hanging aorund the house
    - He has a money to buy new clothes, mobile, satellite TV etc
    -Money to go to europe on holidays

I just sent him a batch of bank statements showing bank transfers from myself to him so that he can attend a meeting of the village heads this morning in order to clear his name...

Its not as if the villagers don't know he is "associated" with a farang... i have been to the village at least 10 times in the last 7 years

Just wondering if anyone else who "sponsors" a thai guy has ever had their guy accused in this way...

I know that people can be petty and jealous of other people finding "success" but have never herd of jealousy manifesting itself in this way...

At the moment the accusation is just a libelous accusation at the village gossip level... but given the corrupt nature of Thailand police force how long before they believe rumours are truth!

I guess this is the way for some villagers to get "one up" on their neighbours or bring them down to earth by BF having to admit all his new found wealth comes from a farang.... But at least it shows that after all the recent negative press Thais are not just out to get us farang... they are also out to get each other! :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Re: BF accused of being a drug dealer

Quote Originally Posted by colmx
    But at least it shows that after all the recent negative press Thais are not just out to get us farang... they are also out to get each other!
    It's known as Thai Rak Thai.

Maybe they want a cut of the pie.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

What an unpleasant and surprising situation. I have never heard or come across this, but I am surprised that village gossip would assume drugs, without any fire, when there is clearly a more logical and visible explanation of his increased wealth.

I am also surprised that it became serious enough that your bf feels the need to justify his source of funds by showing his bank statements. He must have seriously upset someone. Perhaps if he can work out how and who that might be, he might find a path to resolve this.

Anyway I wish you both well in sorting this out.

Liked

I largely agree with Brad, with the only exception that I don't find it that surprising. Small towns and villages (I was brought up in a small rural town in England) seem to be the same everywhere. Much the same sort of thing does happen in small, rural English communities - I know this from experience. What is different are the possible consequences - which seem to be worse here.

My guess is that what has upset somebody is pure envy. You BF has the means to build the house extension, run the motorbike, have the holidays and the rest of it - and the mean spirited gossips, the type who feel diminished by someone else having something they do not have themselves decide that he could not possibly be doing so much better than them in any honest way so it starts with "All that money from a farang? Wouldn't be surprised if he was selling Yabba" then that gets repeated as "I hear he's selling Yabba" - then "He's selling Yabba - everyone says so". Malicious gossip is hard to deal with, partly because it is malicious - it's not meant to be fair. It's also very hard to pin down - because it's a sort of community effort - there's no single source, and possibly even the person who started the rumour ends up believing it - because "everyone knows".

The meeting with the village heads may clear the air "officially" but sadly, I doubt that the gossip will ever really die.

By the way colmx - I hope you censored those bank statements sufficiently to make sure no-one can get your account details from them.

Good luck to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay
    Small towns and villages (I was brought up in a small rural town in England) seem to be the same everywhere.
    That sounds much like the ex-pat community here in Pattaya which is why I steer well clear of it.

Liked

I hope the BF challenges these "elders" to find someone he supposedly sold the yaba to. Their failure to do so should be as broadly advertised as their accusatons. Somehow I feel that merely showing an alternative source of funds will only make the BF appear defensive (and therefore fuel their fire), but putting on an offense as a defensive tactic might just quench the flames.

He is in a no win situation.
    Even if the bank statements prove that he is not a drug dealer then those small minded villagers will change tack to say he is a prostutute (who would be 'friendly' with a farang except for money). They know he has gotten the money from somewhere; they know money like that does not come from a regular salary; Hey Presto .. he must be doing something illegal or immoral.

What he should do is start asking a few questions about them ...
    How did your son in Pattaya who works as "a hotel porter" get the money to buy you that motorcycle?
    Wow, that new TV must have cost your "waitress" daughter in Bangkok at least 3 months salary?
    I saw your niece/nephew recently on the beach ... lovely gold necklace and designer swimsuit. Must have cost a lot ... and you have so little here.

what your bf should do is get some advice from Thai people who actually know what they are talking about. following advice from a bunch of well-meaning farangs will probably cause him even more problems than he already has.

Am I the only one to consider the possibilty (however remote) that he IS selling drugs?

It's surprising what kept boys do when their patron isn't around, and surprising how naive those patrons can be.

How many times have I heard protestations of "Oh my Chai/Mohammed/Hans/Marcel/Carlos (delete as applicable) would never go with another man/fuck a woman/use my ATM card/sell the jewellery (delete as applicable) when I'm away" when we all know that's exactly what some of them do (sometimes they do all FOUR)

I'm not saying it's the case with YOUR boy, but who knows for sure?

:bounce: