Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: How many GAY TOURIST

How many GAY TOURIST

Does anybody know how many gay touist are coming per year to Thailand (Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc)?
    Any statistic or reports somewhere in the internet?

Re: How many GAY TOURIST

How would you suggest such figures could be collected or estimated?

A simple percentage of all tourists would be distorted by the fact that in some markets Thailand has a reputation. Amongst older gays I think it plays positively for Thailand. Amongst younger gays it may play negatively.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

just a reasoned guesstimate:
    yearly nr of visitors about 13/14.million, and the majority is not at all coming from english-speaking countries
    I suppose-in line with the general postings on this forum/site, you only mean gay males? Anyway-I have never ever heard of a lesbian/female expressly visiting Thailand for that reason.
    Males are overrepresented in visitor nrs-as are singles, this compared to about any other well-visited country.
    So (just fo avoid complexity-lets assume that gay visitors are all single and male)-that would make about 7/8 million-of which certainly a higher % as usual would be gay-lets guess 10%-that would make it 7/8 ''saen'=the Thai nr. word for 100.000. Or slightly under 1.000.000. About any tourist enters via either BKk or Phuket airport nowadays-those coming in overland tend to be those coming back from Laos/Cambodia or so. or about 80.000/month-but that would assume there were not high and low seasons.
    But dont under-estimate the nr of Singaporese who fly in a dozen times/year or so. And the highest % of visitors is and will be Malays-for short border hops-they all count as tourists. From those who have to fly in the Japanese make out the biggest %. From Europe both the Germans and Swedes are overrepresented (I mean the % of those visiting LOS here), as are Australians. US and Canada remain grossly under-represented. (there are lists of how big a nation group has to be to have 1 visitor to Thailand in 1 year).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong
    But dont under-estimate the nr of Singaporese who fly in a dozen times/year or so. And the highest % of visitors is and will be Malays-for short border hops-they all count as tourists. .
    They are seriously under-represented this week. Maybe they are rolling up Easter, Qing ming and Songkran. I've heard they are the last people on Earth who enjoy Songkran.