Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thaksin on the move?

Liked

thaksin on the move?

Sky news this morning announced Thaksin had sold his part of Manchester City to an Abu Dhabi investment company.

Is this a first step to his return to face the music, or is he just cash strapped as his assets are frozen? Does this have any influence on possible extradition processes?

I personally don't think he will return but wander around aimlessly trying to find a nitch where he is accepted or safe.

It would take years for him to be extradited from England to Thailand as he has the money to battle it out in the U.K. courts. I would think the sell off is because he is short of the 800 million frozen in Thailand. Only last season he had to borrow money to pay the players salaries. Seems like owning and running a football team is not quite as easy as making money through a monopoly or corrupt businesses as he did!

Quote Originally Posted by sanook
    It would take years for him to be extradited from England to Thailand as he has the money to battle it out in the U.K. courts.
    He does not need to be extradited. If he is convicted 'in absentia' in the current case before the courts he would then come under scrutiny by the FA, according to their rules, to decide if he were "fit and proper person" to have part or whole ownership of an English football club.

I think he expects to be convicted and is therefore getting out of football club ownership in the UK before he is forced to do so and thereby avoiding considerable loss of face in the eyes of his supporters in Thailand.

Of course he remains outside the country and after he is convicted of corruption and fraud in the Ratchadapisek case he cannot be further charged with anything else that might come up unless he is in Thailand.

Arab group claims Man City deal

A Middle-East company claims to have completed a takeover of Premier League side Manchester City.
    Abu Dhabi United Group Investment and Development (ADUG) says it has bought the club from Thaksin Shinawatra.
    "The investment services and development in Abu Dhabi has successfully completed the huge takeover," its statement read.

City have said discussions are ongoing and BBC Sport understands Thaksin is eager to retain an interest in City. ........

........The ADUG statement claimed that the deal gave it "all management rights" over City, while Thaksin would become honorary president of the club "without any administrative responsibilities".........

.......However, BBC Sport understands that ADUG has only signed a memorandum of understanding - essentially a gentleman's agreement - with City.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 591735.stm

" essentially a gentleman's agreement " with Thaksin, what a joke :cheese:

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponbkk
    Of course he remains outside the country and after he is convicted of corruption and fraud in the Ratchadapisek case he cannot be further charged with anything else that might come up unless he is in Thailand.
    I'm not sure this is true. Why can't they go ahead with all of the other cases that are already in the pipeline and convict him in absentia in all of those cases as well?

Quote Originally Posted by fedssocr
    Why can't they go ahead with all of the other cases that are already in the pipeline and convict him in absentia in all of those cases as well?
    I seem to remember reading that the law requires that the person being charged has to appear 'in person' in court to hear the charges when they are first read out in court and has to enter a plea in person.

That's why the other cases pending against him have been shelved until he is back in the country.

yes i do like taksin he help all the poor people in thailand could not understand why some people don"t like the way he work.

Quote Originally Posted by pp
    yes i do like taksin he help all the poor people in thailand could not understand why some people don"t like the way he work.

I'm sure our buddy Wes will be delighted that he's no longer the thickest member of the board.