Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PDA - Does it Stand for democracy

PDA - Does it Stand for democracy

PDA's actions what reprted recently in the media makes me wonder a so-called movement calling itself "Democratic" could resort to un-democratic means to topple a democratically elected government?. Resorting to blockades, strikes, taking-over government buildings and International Airports in violent ways does not truely reflect the banner it carry. Are the 61 million peace-loving Thai people are taken for granted that the few thousands of people carrying out these un-democratic acts will remain silent to the sufferings of the ordinary people are ignored for the benefit of the few who are power hungry and are not able to gain the status-quo through democratic political means. What is the international community and the diplomatic core are doing about the situation.

Thailand and it's democratic survival is important to the region given the threat of the new cold-war. Can the farang community living in Thailand contribute intellectually and effectively to combat the meance of PDA?

PAD - pissed and dangerous.

farangs can do nothing but duck..

Re: PDA - Does it Stand for democracy

Quote Originally Posted by stevekoolguy
    PDA's actions what reprted recently in the media makes me wonder a so-called movement calling itself "Democratic" could resort to un-democratic means to topple a democratically elected government?
    Worldwide the sort of people who use the word "democratic" to describe themselves are usually the least democratic. Generally they justify their approach by arguing for their form of democracy as a variation within some sort of umbrella meaning - which ends up being no meaning at all. Think of the various Democratic Republics, which were/are anything but. The PAD believes in a "democracy" of the elite - Chamlong has said quite openly that the mass of the Thai people cannot be trusted to vote appropriately. If you've read That Book, you'll know that A Certain Person believes the same. One of the hallmarks of a democracy is the submission of the armed forces and the police to the elected government of the day. That the Thai armed forces are openly "standing aside" gives you the measure of Thai "democracy". Another hallmark is adherence to the rule of law. A Certain Person has always seen himself above the law, and what an example he has set! The likelihood that outsiders (such as Westerners) in Thailand can influence events given that background is highly unlikely (or, as Soi10Tom might say, it will never happen)

Liked

re

Here is an interesting article of Andrew Drummond. From what I gather not only PAD shut down major Southern airports but it also tries to prevent foreign tourists from leaving Phuket and other tourist destinations in the South by other means of transportation. In other words, they try to use tourists (including kids) as a kind of hostages...
    What can be more outrageous than that...

Thousands of UK tourists trapped by Thai protestsAirports are closed as anti-corruption demonstrators demand that the Prime Minister quitsAndrew Drummond in Bangkok The Observer, Sunday August 31 2008
    Article history

Thai protesters at Phuket airport. Photograph: Yongyod Prueksarak/EPA

Thousands of Britons were trapped in Thailand last night as mobs protesting against the country's 'corrupt' government laid siege to airports in tourist hot spots. Some 15,000 people were turned away from the airport on the holiday island of Phuket after protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) stormed the runway and terminals.

Stranded passengers had to carry their bags through cordons to a nearby road where they were forced to hail cabs to take them back to their resorts. The chaos has sparked concerns that thousands of children will now miss the start of the British school term.

The airports at Krabi, now rivalling Phuket as Thailand's No 1 tourist spot, was also closed, as was the airport at Haad Yai in the south. Last night demonstrators were also heading for Surat Thani airport, around three hours north of Phuket. 'We want to bring government corruption to the attention of the world,' said a PAD spokesman.

Having spent their holiday cash, many tourists were wondering how they would get home and find accommodation in the interim. The Tourist Authority of Thailand has asked hoteliers to give stranded tourists discounted or free accommodation, but almost all those from Britain have lost connections on to London which they booked months in advance. Last night many tried to make their connections by bus, minibus and taxi in a 13- hour road trip to Bangkok, but PAD said they were also setting up road blocks on major roads into the capital.

They insisted however that they were not targeting tourists and the protests have remained largely peaceful, though further chaos is predicted. Thailand's railway system is already 70 per cent out of action due to action by unions in support of the PAD demonstrations. Unions at the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, have threatened action against the national grid and the Thai Airlines union is threatening to join the protests.

The PAD began their massive demonstrations four days ago demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej and his cabinet. The group argues that corrupt politicians have been able to buy themselves into power.

PAD leaders claim that Samak and his cabinet intend to plunder the country, a charge which they brought against the former Premier Thaksin Shinawatra, now owner of Manchester City FC. The protesters are angry that Thaksin and his wife Pojaman were allowed to flee Thailand after she was jailed and he was charged with corruption.

As the government battles to restore its authority, arrest warrants for treason have been issued against the PAD leaders, who include media magnate Sondhi Limthongkul, former Bangkok governor Chamlong Srimuang, Pibhop Dhongchai, an academic, and labour leader Somsak Kosaisuk. However, police have so far been unable to serve the warrants.

After meeting King Bhumipol Adulyadej at his summer palace in Hua Hin, Samak insisted he would not back down. Bhumibol's support is crucial. Although he is a constitutional monarch with no formal political role, he has repeatedly brought calm in times of turbulence during his 60 years on the throne.

'I, the Prime Minister, have come to office in the righteous way and I won't resign,' Samak said. 'I will not back down. I will rule this country and will lead it through all of the problems.'

He also defended himself against critics who say he should not have let protesters overrun Government House in Bangkok: 'I have been very patient and have refrained from using force.'

But Samak's position looks fragile. Army commander General Anupong Paochinda has rejected his request to declare a state of emergency, and the Chart Thai Party, a member of Samak's six-party coalition, said it was ready to suggest the Prime Minister step down.

Last night thousands of protesters remained camped out at Government House, where leaders called for a million people to join their ranks and demand an end to Samak's seven-month tenure. 'The protest has already developed into a people's revolution,' said protest leader Sondhi Limthongkul. 'I do believe that Samak is going to resign.'

About this articleClose Thousands of UK tourists trapped by Thai protests
    This article appeared in the Observer on Sunday August 31 2008 on p5 of the News section. It was last updated at 01:52 on August 31 2008. Printable version Send to a friend Share Clip Contact us larger | smaller ShareClose Digg reddit Google Bookmarks Yahoo! My Web del.icio.us StumbleUpon Newsvine livejournal Facebook BlinkList EmailClose Recipient's email address Your name Add a note (optional)

Contact usClose Report errors or inaccuracies: reader@observer.co.uk
    Letters for publication should be sent to: letters@observer.co.uk
    If you need help using the site: userhelp@guardian.co.uk
    Call the main Guardian and Observer switchboard:
    +44 (0)20 7278 2332

Advertising guide
    License/buy our content
    World news
    Thailand
    Observer
    More newsPrintable version Send to a friend Share Clip Contact us Article history About this articleClose This article appeared in the Observer on Sunday August 31 2008 on p5 of the News section. It was last updated at 01:52 on August 31 2008. ShareClose Digg reddit Google Bookmarks Yahoo! My Web del.icio.us StumbleUpon Newsvine livejournal Facebook BlinkList EmailClose Recipient's email address Your name Add a note (optional)

Contact usClose Report errors or inaccuracies: reader@observer.co.uk
    Letters for publication should be sent to: letters@observer.co.uk
    If you need help using the site: userhelp@guardian.co.uk
    Call the main Guardian and Observer switchboard:
    +44 (0)20 7278 2332

Advertising guide
    License/buy our content
    Related information follows Ads by Google

Andrew Drummond is well-known as one of the leading bottom-of-the-barrel tabloid journalists in this part of the world...if you didn't recall that.

Don't tell me, ...

... let me guess. Chao Na is brown-nosing the PAD now

Re: Don't tell me, ...

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    ... let me guess. Chao Na is brown-nosing the PAD now
    Wrong, dear. I only brown-nose those in authority, you should know that.

Agreement?

For the first time I agree with Homintern and Chao Na!

The leaders of the PAD have stated that they want a government that is only 30% elected and 70% nominated - some democracy!

I have little time for Samak, but I hope that he lasts it out and stays in the office he was legally elected to, otherwise mob rule and anarchy have won and any form of democracy in Thailand will be gone.

Re: Agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Fishing
    otherwise mob rule and anarchy have won and any form of democracy in Thailand will be gone.
    Wot rubbish. Otherwise the people will have won you mean and democracy can again be attempted? What use is democracy if like in America you can't also democratically decide to throw your president onto the rubbish heap when he no longer serves the will of the people or represents them in any decent way. One down another to go. More and more people are pouring in to support the PAD.

Why is corruption to be tolerated in the name of some liberal nonsense about democratic elections? The present Thai government should be immediately dissolved.
    Part of the problem in Thailand is the rural vote, it's uneducated and easily bought, frustrating the nations attempts at getting ahead and becoming a true democracy.

Watching the American presidential race unfolding its any wonder anyone wants democracy at all. May the richest man win. Lets pray its Obama at least.

Re: Agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    What use is democracy if like in America you can't also democratically decide to throw your president onto the rubbish heap when he no longer serves the will of the people or represents them in any decent way.
    As an American myself I have to disagree with Cedric. We have a Constitution, we have a Bill of Rights, we have the separation of powers, we have guaranteed elections every four years. The Supreme Court is independent of the Executive Branch. Even the current Dubya-friendly Court had failed to support the Administration anywhere along the line over Guantamo Bay. If "the people" disagree with the way a President governs, they have the power through their elected representatives to impeach him. This happened with Nixon and Clinton. The Democrats democratically chose not to exercise this option. At the State level there are other options such as a "recall" as happened with Governor Davis in California, when Arnie became Governor. Election funding can be done at the micro level, as Obama has proved in his campaign's fund-raising.

Compare that with where I live in Singapore. Elections are "rigged" via muzzling the press. Between elections dissent is muzzled through the use of the libel laws. In political matters the Courts are entirely subservient to the Government. In the US we've recently had political dynasties - the Bush presidents, father and son. Thank god we set an example to the world and rejected the Clinton dynasty. In Singapore we've got the Lees everywhere and the Singaporeans will be lucky ever to get rid of them. I have an American passport and can leave any time. Cedric is just talking immature, ignorant nonsense.