Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: "The land of a hundred million cute boys"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

"The land of a hundred million cute boys"

The land of a hundred millions cute boys

Does anyone else find this slogan so alluring? If TAT used this in their advertising, Bangkok and Pattaya would soon be overrun!

Silom Farang uses it to describe SEA in his blog... http://gayboythailand.com/bangkok-thailand/my-kingdom/[/i]

Rather a nonsensical statement when the population count is around 61.5 million with approximately 68.6% being male of which 23.9% are 14 years of age and under.
    Wouldn't it read better saying the 'Land of Many Sick Buffalos'

Quote Originally Posted by sanook
    Rather a nonsensical statement when the population count is around 61.5 million with approximately 68.6% being male of which 23.9% are 14 years of age and under.
    Or alternatively, the "Land of Many Sick Farang!

Choc Dee,

George

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    No need to take it so seriously... It's a light-hearted observation... not a statement strictly based on fact.

I think Silom was referring to the whole of Sth-East Asia...

maybe "the land of a million cute boys"... would be more proper if referring to Thailand.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by George

Choc Dee,

George
    Indeed and again, I must say Indeed,

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Re: "The land of a hundred million cute boys"

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover

Does anyone else find this slogan so alluring? If TAT used this in their advertising, Bangkok and Pattaya would soon be overrun!

Silom Farang uses it to describe SEA in his blog... http://gayboythailand.com/bangkok-thailand/my-kingdom/[/i]
    Well, you can't expect everyone to actually READ your posting before jumping on it with irrelevant criticisms, and you did actually type "SEA."

However, it has taken me many years to understand my old frenemy's reaction to hearing about Eric Allyn's now-defunct series of guides to Gay Thailand. Said Ralph (yes, 'twere Ralph): "He should be taken out and shot!" He was half-joking, I guess, but in those days I found it such a strange reaction that it stuck in my memory. And now, after many years, I understand what he was saying: Let people find Thailand on their own. Don't run big banner ads saying "Gay Paradise" or "100 Billion Cute Boys." It will just (ahem) bring in competition, and, worse than that, a very bad sort of tourist who cannot look around the globe and pick their own destinations, but who need to be herded along by guides who will "explain" everything to them.

It takes a bit of wisdom to realize that, having found a good thing, you should keep your mouth shut -- except for perhaps telling a few good friends. But even those friends may startle you by reacting with chilly silence, or forcing out, through clenched teeth, the word "sleazy."

Even worse, you may get long-term gay couples visiting Thailand, and that is almost always a disaster unless they avoid the gay bars like the plague. If they don't, it is INEVITABLE that they will begin comparing their well-worn companions with the cute guys on the stage and begin fervently wishing that they were alone -- just for a short time -- just for -- a week or two. In My Way one night, I saw one such guy, sitting with his partner, who was actually covering his eyes with his hands to avoid seeing anything. I can't read minds (!), so it's anyone's guess what he was thinking: "O this is so sleazy!" or "Lead me not into temptation" occur to me as possibilities.

Well, I'm off to work on my new magnum opus: Farang Men in Siam: A Typology. A sneak preview: Type 1 is the Fresh Off The Boat Delighted Newbie. This guy walks around with a smile like some guy who has stumbled onto the secret of life. (This means he's already in love.) He'll typically be dragging around the newfound object of his affections with this huge grin on his face, and then do something tell-tale, like offering a deep and respectful wai to the checkout lady at the supermarket. Yep, he'll go first! "After all, the wai is just a friendly greeting!"

Still working on other types. Suggestions welcome, as always!

Liked
    well if the average farang has sense they'll ignore this board
    [url]http://thaidiamondstories.moonfruit.com/[/url]
    About my books

Et tu?

Quote Originally Posted by globalwanderer
    well if the average farang has sense they'll ignore this board
    How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by George

Choc Dee,

George
    How about Land of the Many Creepy Farang?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: "The land of a hundred million cute boys"

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Cate
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover

Well, you can't expect everyone to actually READ your posting before jumping on it with irrelevant criticisms, and you did actually type "SEA."

However, it has taken me many years to understand my old frenemy's reaction to hearing about Eric Allyn's now-defunct series of guides to Gay Thailand. Said Ralph (yes, 'twere Ralph): "He should be taken out and shot!" He was half-joking, I guess, but in those days I found it such a strange reaction that it stuck in my memory. And now, after many years, I understand what he was saying: Let people find Thailand on their own. Don't run big banner ads saying "Gay Paradise" or "100 Billion Cute Boys." It will just (ahem) bring in competition, and, worse than that, a very bad sort of tourist who cannot look around the globe and pick their own destinations, but who need to be herded along by guides who will "explain" everything to them.

It takes a bit of wisdom to realize that, having found a good thing, you should keep your mouth shut -- except for perhaps telling a few good friends. But even those friends may startle you by reacting with chilly silence, or forcing out, through clenched teeth, the word "sleazy."

Even worse, you may get long-term gay couples visiting Thailand, and that is almost always a disaster unless they avoid the gay bars like the plague. If they don't, it is INEVITABLE that they will begin comparing their well-worn companions with the cute guys on the stage and begin fervently wishing that they were alone -- just for a short time -- just for -- a week or two. In My Way one night, I saw one such guy, sitting with his partner, who was actually covering his eyes with his hands to avoid seeing anything. I can't read minds (!), so it's anyone's guess what he was thinking: "O this is so sleazy!" or "Lead me not into temptation" occur to me as possibilities.

Well, I'm off to work on my new magnum opus: Farang Men in Siam: A Typology. A sneak preview: Type 1 is the Fresh Off The Boat Delighted Newbie. This guy walks around with a smile like some guy who has stumbled onto the secret of life. (This means he's already in love.) He'll typically be dragging around the newfound object of his affections with this huge grin on his face, and then do something tell-tale, like offering a deep and respectful wai to the checkout lady at the supermarket. Yep, he'll go first! "After all, the wai is just a friendly greeting!"

Still working on other types. Suggestions welcome, as always!
    Yeh I can imagine gay bars in thailand can't be healthy for less-than-strong farang relationships! haha