List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regular Maid Service for Pattaya Condo, how much to pay?

Regular Maid Service for Pattaya Condo, how much to pay?

I got a cleaning offer from a probably trustworthy guy for my 75 sq meter condo. His offer is to come 3 times a week, for a few hours each or so, mop the floor, general maintenance cleaning, do the dishes in the sink, wash laundry in auto washer, hang the clothes to dry, iron (as needed, not every time). What should I pay for that? I asked him and he gave me an up to you, I just want to pay a fair rate that he will be happy with. Any ideas?

Please remember I am talking about a cleaning service, not a knob polishing service.

The minimum wage in Thailand

... is around

110 to 135 bht a day; that works out at around 13-17 bht per hour.

However, GDP per person (annually is US$2750) - works out around 350 bht per day - so personally, if you are an expat then I think they would expect a little more than the 13-17 Bht per hour.

I would gauge around 20 bht per hour, but also you have to take into account they generally take their time doing things, I mean, don't expect someone to come in and do everything in an hour. If you having a person clean your apartment for 2 hours x 3 days, then I would round that off to say 10 hours.

10 hours x 20 bht per hour = 200 bht per week x 4 = 800 bht per month

However, I bet you there are people getting away with just paying 500 bht for the same service.

Hmmm. That sounds really low. I don't think many farangs are getting away paying this low for part time condo cleaning in Pattaya. I have been quoted before 600 to 800 baht for cleaning ONE TIME which I think is a ripoff but many people are paying this. This person I have in mind makes 50 baht an hour at another type of job.

I have just arranged a contract for astudio apartment and am being charged 150B per clean

You might be right ...

... based on your 50bht per hour, that's over 10,000 bht for working a 48 hour week paid monthly and 8,000 bht a month for working a 40 hour week, that's a good salary for a cleaner in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by drfrost3
    I have just arranged a contract for astudio apartment and am being charged 150B per clean
    Personally, I wouldn't employ such "contracts", in some cases, they only spend 10 minutes cleaning the room, then "out". If you do this on a daily basis, then it works out quite expensive, especially when you might have 20 flats to clean.

Now if you only have one studio, then there is no point in arguing over 150 bht, just let them do it.

Work situations are very variable, but a comparison with a hotel may be of some use.

I am told that Avalon pays roomboys 6000 baht per month for eight hours per day six days per week. That is about 30 baht per hour. The roomboys also receive some (perhaps not very generous) percentage of general hotel tips and the service charge. In addition a roomboy would keep any tips hotel guests give to him directly for his usual cleaning duties.

If special services are provided to a guest, then a base rate of about 30 baht per hour would be a very unlikely starting point.

Liked

Re: The minimum wage in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    The minimum wage in Thailand..... is around 110 to 135 bht a day; that works out at around 13-17 bht per hour.

However, GDP per person (annually is US$2750) - works out around 350 bht per day - so personally, if you are an expat then I think they would expect a little more than the 13-17 Bht per hour.
    WhiteDesire, your information is a little out of date - here's the minimum wage for 2007, by province:

So, in Bangkok the minimum wage is 191 baht and in Chonburi (Pattaya) it's 172 baht.

Also, the per capita income (2006) was $3,155 - not the same thing as per capita GDP!

These minimum wage figures are applicable to factory or construction site workers or farm labourers, who work a full day. Don't expect to pay the same for just a few odd hours of condo cleaning!
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

I have to admit I am having second thoughts about trusting this guy I had in mind, but this is still an interesting topic to me, if I can find a trustworthy person. In Pattaya, we are dealing with alot of Thais who are kind of corrupted by easy farang money so there is no way a private expat will get a really local price. Also, consider someone coming 3 times a week for a part time job has commuting costs, so you are kind of buying a little more retail, and less wholesale than if you hired a full time staff or a full time live in maid. For the services I am talking about, I am thinking more like 2000 baht a month might tempt someone decent. Sound way too high or low? For that, I would want them to mop the floor each time plus the other stuff. BTW, anyone in Jomtien have a referral for me?

Quote Originally Posted by drfrost3
    Sorry - I must have phrased it ambiguously! The contract is for the apartment not the cleaning! I just have to have it cleaned once a week for which the landlord will charge 150B