List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are HIV/AIDS sufferers welcome in Thailand??

Are HIV/AIDS sufferers welcome in Thailand??

Answer is............

NO, They are not.

HIV/AIDS sufferers are classified under the same banner as "people with communicable diseases" such as Yellow Fever,Typhoid etc.

Under Thai Law,if they have knowledge that you are suffering from HIV/AIDS you are not welcome.

It goes on to say that although a Doctor is not there to administer a test for HIV/AIDS when granting a visa, they may require a Doctors certificate and CAN request you to take a test,especially, if you wish to extend your visa and/or you apply for a long stay visa.

This, in effect, deflates wowpows argument, of the long term goal being to provide a two tier system whereby Thais who have no money, acquire the drugs very cheaply [cheap generics or stolen patents!!!] and middle class Thais and Foreign Residents pay the "going rate" for them!

Why??? Because Foreigners are not welcome if they have the misfortune of having this illness.

So, there you go!

I have never been aware that Foreigners had access to cheap HIV/AIDS drugs or any other drugs in this Country and relied on Foreign suppliers and Foreign clinics that deal with Ex-Pats such as the ones in Bangkok, to acquire the necessary drugs for Heart, HIV/AIDS drugs etc.

Amazing indeed!

Well, I question this a bit.
    There is now no health certificate requirement to renew a retirement visa.
    Now, if you showed up with obvious HIV, would they do something to block your extension.
    I don't know. Anyone know?

I will say another thing. Thailand is actually pretty terrific on allowing in foreigners with HIV. In much of the world HIV specifically excludes you from getting a long term visa. This is so all over South America, even Canada. So I will not be so quick to criticize Thailand on this; they are way ahead of the curve.

Like Kevin I have heard it said that HIV/AIDS sufferers are not welcome in Thailand.

I suspect that like in many countries this was a panic measure in the early days of AIDS.

I know of no website of the Thai Foreign Office, Embassies, Consulates, Thai Immigration or independent site like Thaivisa which state this. I never heard of anyone having any problem with Immigration in this regard. Do you have a source for this info please?

I recently got a Medical Certificate from Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and was asked several health questions. Illnesses like Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Elephantiasis are reportable but no questions were asked regarding HIV/AIDS.

I think it was either an urban myth or a short term measure a long time ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This, in effect, deflates wowpows argument, of the long term goal being to provide a two tier system whereby Thais who have no money, acquire the drugs very cheaply [cheap generics or stolen patents!!!] and middle class Thais and Foreign Residents pay the "going rate" for them!" kquill

"Mongkol (Thai Minister for Health) and his aides told us they understand the importance of patents. They say they're wary of undermining innovation. But they say the poor of Thailand cannot afford the AIDS drugs, which cost about $2,200 per year of treatment. Thailand's goal is to create a tiered pricing system with the country's middle-class and foreign residents paying market rates while the poor get the drugs for much less." Washington Post

I cannot understand how anyone could confuse the Health Ministers words and think that they were mine. I also don't understand how this has any bearing or relevance to Foreigners with HIV/AIDS being welcome or not. He justs says that foreigners with HIV/AIDS have to pay their own medical bills which is hardly surprising.

Kevin I can sort of understand where you are coming from calling Thailand's production of generic drugs theft. Your outrage may be justified. Can you put your hand on your heart and tell me that you have never bought or watched a copy DVD and that all music and music DVDs played in your bars paid performing rights to the artists and composers?

Hi,

http://www.aidsmap.com/cms1044359.asp

That is where I got it.

I am not saying they harshly enforce it or anything of the sort, but that is their policy to the outside World.

Well, as far as retirement visa extensions are concerned, that info is 100 percent wrong. No medical cert required now. Even when there was one, HIV was on the list of excluding diseases. Alcoholism was, which is actually really funny when you think about how many people got by that one.

Quote Originally Posted by wowpow

?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin I can sort of understand where you are coming from calling Thailand's production of generic drugs theft. Your outrage may be justified. Can you put your hand on your heart and tell me that you have never bought or watched a copy DVD and that all music and music DVDs played in your bars paid performing rights to the artists and composers?

If you go into Throb, you will see it is probably the only bar for miles around, that pays for performing rights, artists and composers and music DVDs.

The licences are on the shelf above the cashiers head, below the spirits! There are Grammy and another one!

Liked

Re: Are HIV/AIDS sufferers welcome in Thailand??

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    " ... Answer is............ NO, They are not . . . HIV/AIDS sufferers are classified under the same banner as "people with communicable diseases" such as Yellow Fever,Typhoid etc. . . . Under Thai Law,if they have knowledge that you are suffering from HIV/AIDS you are not welcome ..."
    The prohibited diseases outlined in the official requirements for the O-A multiple entry 12-month (retirement) Visa do not mention AIDS or being HIV+. The 'medical' section states:

Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third step of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535). тАж.
    A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarized by notary organs or the applicantтАЩs diplomatic/consular mission).
    I'm not saying folks with AIDS would be welcomed with open arms at the gates of LoS (probably not in fact), just that AIDS is not among the prohibited diseases mentioned as probable disqualifications for a long-term visa.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

http://www.aidsmap.com/cms1044359.asp says

"Thailand
    According to the law, people with communicable diseases are not allowed to enter Thailand. However, no doctorтАЩs certificate is required at the border, so that an illness (as long as is not known) does not affect the granting of a visa. In some cases, a doctorтАЩs certificate including an HIV test has to be presented when applying for a visa extension (especially when applying for a long-term visa or a residence permit)."

A communicable disease is any that can be passed to others - there are thousands from the common cold upwards.

I never heard of any cases 'requiring' a doctors certificate including an HIV test - did anyone?

To interpret this as saying that people with HIV/AIDS are not welcome in Thailand I think is illogical.

The Knife:
    PS my compliments on the Performing rights - I read that they are tightening up on Pattaya bars and one costs about 3500 baht a year but many owners don't know they exist. These permits, I imagine, refer to the use of original published, full priced CDs and DVDs not copies? Comments please.

You did not reply on the watching copy DVDs ? I remember hiding my eyes when you played that one of Robby Williams which was banned by the BBC.

I honestly don't believe that any bar in the country buys all it's recorded music and video entertainments all at full retail price anymore than anyone with an MP3 player pays for all his downloads. This is. of course straightforward theft - a bit like cutting and pasting?

Liked: 1
    The land of the free is not much better in this respect.

Burma has no restriction's, but I guess they welcome everyone who has some dollars in their pocket.

United States of America

In principle, the USA refuses entry to foreign nationals known to be HIV positive. In exceptional cases, a stay of 30 days may be granted (for family visits, medical treatment, business travel or participation in a scientific, health-related conference).

HIV testing or a medical exam are not required. In the visa application form, the applicant has to say if he/she has a тАЬcommunicable disease of public health significanceтАЭ. The visa will be denied if this is the case. An applicant who answers тАЬnoтАЭ despite better knowledge commits an immigration fraud, which leads to immigration prohibition.

HIV-positive foreign nationals lose their right to remain in the USA and are expelled if their status becomes known.
    Myanmar (Burma)

No restrictions.
    Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)

For retiring gay expats who aren't dollar millionaires, I cannot name a friendlier country to HIV people than Thailand. Is it perfect? No. Its just so much better than the other options. Like all of South America.

It would be basically impossible for a foreigner to retire to Burma. No visa for it.