Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIV+/AIDS and Foreign Travel to Thailand

Liked

HIV+/AIDS and Foreign Travel to Thailand

My advance apologies as I'm sure this topic has been covered but can anyone tell an HIV positive, first time visitor Thailand what I might need to know regarding travel there?

Many of the sites that I've gone to refer persons with either HIV or AIDS to the Royal Thai Embassy for furthur information as "Those suspected of carrying AIDS, may be denied entry". As I'll be taking my meds with me, it'll be obvious to some that I'm at least HIV+. Has anyone had any difficulties? If privacy regarding answering this issue is required, email me through my profile page.

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about it. Customs will not check you on arrival.

Liked
    I agree with Boygeenyus (though I suppose there are always exceptions to the general rule).

Not one single time in 6 years of coming to Thailand once or twice a year have I ever been asked to open any bags on arrival at Don Muang. Usually the immigration folks just look incredibly bored, and signal me on through to the big 'SAWATDEE' sign overlooking the luggage conveyor belts.
    Once you've got your luggage it's through one more checkpoint where they look at some piece of paper and wave you on through to the humidity and pleasure of being back in Thailand. They look even more uninterested than the first guy!

I'm sure someone here will chime in with a horror story, but the above has been my experience every time.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Re: HIV+/AIDS and Foreign Travel to Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by marc11864
    My advance apologies as I'm sure this topic has been covered but can anyone tell an HIV positive, first time visitor Thailand what I might need to know regarding travel there?
    I would suggest hand carrying a more than adequate supply of medications. Keeping them in already opened prescription bottles will most probably get you through customs, should they ever look. How long will you stay? If you needed to emergency replace them by shipping them from the USA or Europe you would most probably be charged by customs over one-third their extremely high retail cost, despite whether you received them free through insurance or not.

Although it has been reported that Thais are finally obtaining meds the supply is by no means certain. At first glance I would think the quality, and even origin (SA? India?) might be suspect. You might have difficulty matching your current regime (I understand you shouldn't change meds).If they are available for Thais, it does not mean foreigners could obtain them. You would probably at least need a prescription. A Thai doctor might sign over a prescription provided by a western doctor (sort like an American going to Canada or Mexico to get something overpriced in the USA). As to finding an "HIV clinic" for foreigners there are mainly Thai hospitals with this and recently reported in this forum (please try the search). A letter from your doctor introducing you and requesting particular assistance, if ever needed, might be helpful.

About two months ago I researched Thai hospitals web pages (in Bangkok) that cater to or are popular among farangs and none listed "HIV Care" as even available - thus the expertise of Thai medical practitioners in this field in regards to monitoring (testing), advising, ... should be suspect. I did this research for a farang couple that asked me that same question in regards to their desire to retire overseas - therefore I am very interested in further replies to this thread.

Liked

Hospitals in bangkok

See:
    http://www.traveller2000.com/bangkok/hospitals.htm for a list of Bangkok Hospitals

and Bumrungrad Hospital (www.bumrungrad.com) has HIV services listed on their
    web site. The doctors are almost all US or European trained and several specifically
    list HIV care as a speciality. They have profles of their doctors and almost all the ones for
    HIV have US training and are Board certified in the US.

I think BNH on Convent would also have staff as well.

Unless your HIV meds are unusual or in clincal trial status, you should be able to get what you need if for some reason you did not bring enough. Good advice tho to bring a copy of a prescription from your doctor nad maybe a letter explaining your current medical status and any special issues.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

good advise...

A friend of mine with an immune decifiency problem does have a problem when he comes to Thailand..When he gets a cold or stomach virus it takes him a very long time to regain his health.. I am not a health expert but if I were in same situation I would bring plenty of medications for colds, stomach viruses, and whatever else is common in the West but may not be easy to find here..
    I frequently get intestinal viruses (self diagonis) as the santitary codes in the restaurants are not followed as closely as they should..Hot water is not available for handwashing in most lower or medium priced restaurants and even soap is not always available..Sanitary after toilet practices are not always as one would like especially for food preparers and handlers.. I am sure you have taken the available hepatitus vaccines but if not, take the shots for type A and type B..
    As I write this I realize best thing to do is to talk with your primary doctor and follow his advise..Sorry if I am being overly obvious but I have seen my friend sick for long periods and hope you will be ok..My friend is ok now by the way..

an immune decifiency problem
    Is it too awkward for you just to say HIV? It's not a four-letter word, you know.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

bg..........

I have no problem whatsoever with the words or the conditon..In this case, my friend has never told me or other friends that he has HIV AIDS..While the likelyhood that he has a different immunity disease is almost zero and all his friends are aware of his illness, he doesn't discuss it by name but does talk about the effects.. I don't know why he doesn't say he has HIV but I respect his right to address his medicial condition as he wishes..He has enough to deal with.. I am uncomfortable even in this anonomous situation in naming his immunity problems out of respect for my friends privacy.. This sounds a bit weird even to me but it is how I feel..

Whilst on our crusades, we gays tend to forget there are also other immunodeficiency conditions besides HIV aids. Sometimes such a condition is genetic, sometimes it developes for no medically understood reason such as unexplained fatigue syndrome, sometimes it is environmental, sometimes it develops as a side effect to drugs, eg, chemo.

Liked

immunizations and HIV

Cat brings up a good point as well; make sure your immunizations are all up to date. Hep A and B, tetnus, ditherthia, thyphoid, etc.

Make sure tho that, if you don;t go to your regular doctor (check out a travel medicine clinic at a local hospital) that they know your HIV status. Some vaccines formulations use live but attenuated virus and are not recommended for HIV patients. Or even if you live or are partnered with an HIV+ person.

For example, some polio and typhus vaccines.

I got a full round of vaccines before my first visit years ago and generally consult the travel clinic about every other year for refreshers. Generally you'll only need to get maybe tetnus and typhus (I think) boosted every few years. Most other vaccines are thought to provide protection for 10+ years or more or even lifetime.

US Gov CDC web site has excellent travel medicine info for all countries, recommended vaccines and precautions.