Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phuket (Patong)

Phuket (Patong)

This would probably be better suited to a blog, but hey, who reads those? So, very quickly, a few places I like in Phuket -

Club One Seven (Guesthouse/Restaurant), newly relocated, great staff, great management, great brekkie with coffee refills and excellent Thai food. The waiters cannot be 'offed' but are very cute. Rooms are smallish but nicely set out and I recommend to all who want a nice place to stay away from the Paradise Complex.

Angel (Bar/Guesthouse/Restaurant) - Right in the heart of the Paradise Complex and opposite the Paradise Hotel, this little jewel goes unnoticed and has few patrons. It has excellent Thai food, a lovely and helpful Bar Manager, spacious guest rooms and is unfortunately up for sale (if you have 16 million baht going spare). For a romantic quiet meal or a secret rendezvous, this place is ideal.

Aquarius (Guesthouse/Restaurant) - A little on the pricey side for me at over 2000 baht per night but you do get large, well furnished rooms and free access to a smallish gym, smallish pool and very dark sauna. Staff range from smiley and friendly to surly and curt, if you like that kind of thing! The food is average to good, depending what you have, but I recommend you stick to Thai food (avoid the pizza or burgers).

James Dean Bar - Relaxed and friendly bar on the main soi in the Paradise Complex. The handsome boys who show you to a table seem less desperate than the boys at other bars who claw and drag on your arm to get you in their bar. The Manager/Host/Owner 'O' (spelling Ao or some-such) is friendly and free and easy with the gratis shots of Tequila to those who open their wallets on a regular basis. Good views of the main drag.

One For The Road Bar - A relatively new bar one soi away from the main drag, relaxed, friendly, and a mix of music that can get you ready to party or quietly soothe a fevered brow. Again, the waiter boys are not the desperate kind, but are friendly and chatty and a real mix in terms of femme and masculine, slim and (shall we say) rounded out! My favourite bar in Paradise for a drink, a chat and to generally chill out.

My Way, Tangmo, CU Tonight (Go-go/Cabaret) - I know My Way rules the roost in terms of size and patronage, but for me that is one of the reasons it is my least favourite of the three. My Way feels too big and far too often you are pushed onto a bar stool seat or side seat with a poor view of the stage. The boys can be a little pushy at times if you are on your own and the shows, although well done, are pretty straight laced (apart from the occasional time I saw the completely naked and erect candle dancers passing amongst the audience). Tangmo has a varied show with dance, singing and comedy routines, although their shows do tend to be a little more repetitive than the others. It may just be me, but the boys from Tangmo did seem to be a little more femme and pre-op transsexual than most go-go bars, but the tres handsome 'Indian' from the Village People routine was enough to drag me back more than once. Best thing about Tangmo is the host, who constantly interrupts the show. CU Tonight is possibly the poor relation of the three cabaret bars in the area. It often has fewer patrons and also fewer boys to 'off'. However, it is my favourite cabaret bar because you are guaranteed (more often than not) a good seat, a show that changes from night to night and mixes the straighter routines with a good blend of comedy. It too has one very horny goateed performer who is butch when he has to be and a complete doll in a tutu. Actually, CU Tonight is less 'poor relation' and more Cinderella, and I recommend you join her above all others at the ball.

Esan Classic - (Restaurant) Not gay but gay owned and managed. In Phuket town opposite the weekend Thai Night Market. Beautifully run restaurant, open air, great decor and food that is mid range in price but probably the best to be had in Phuket. The background music is relaxing and unobtrusive, the service from the staff is equal to anything you would find anywhere (they do not hover over you but you find your glass suddenly refilled or a waiter by your side just as you need them). It is off the well worn tourist drag and is frequented by what seem to be mainly middle class Thai's. I recommend this place to you as a dining delight.

Well, that's one way to fill 30 minutes when you wake up at 5.30am and can't get back to sleep! :cheers:

Liked

Thanks for waking up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman41
    This would probably be better suited to a blog, but hey, who reads those? So, very quickly, a few places I like in Phuket - ... Well, that's one way to fill 30 minutes when you wake up at 5.30am and can't get back to sleep! :cheers:
    :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob:

Good on yer Fatman & bravo!! This kind of personal post is absolutely suited (IMHO) to this Board, and something the Board is lacking lately. LMTU plumps none but his friends and is little more than screaming tout than commentator ... Mr. MacSydney's never even been to Thailand, so 'nuff said about that dude-as-reviewer (in his dreams!).

So don't sell yourself short Fatman ... keep on with this stuff, and I hope more do as well. The Board is sadly short of posters who yap on about places other than bloody Pattaya.

Did you get to Boat Bar? We were there in April last year, and although we've had a ball there in previous years, in 2005 it was unbelievably dead. I imagine at that time things were still getting back into swing after the terible tsunami, but wondering about a full year + later.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Re: Thanks for waking up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    Good on yer Fatman ... Did you get to Boat Bar? We were there in April last year, and although we've had a ball there in previous years, in 2005 it was unbelievably dead. I imagine at that time things were still getting back into swing after the terible tsunami, but wondering about a full year + later. Cheers ...
    Oh Gee and now I'm blushing! But seriously ... is Boat Bar near My Way on the main Pardise Soi, I think it is, unfortunately my brain cells have shrunk as my waist size has grown. As far as being 'unbelievably dead', having been in Phuket in January, I would equate it to Pattaya in low season (I was in Pattaya April last year). Phuket was very very quiet with many of the bar owners I spoke to more than a little worried. There were busy nights when everywhere seemed to have plenty of customers, but these were maybe a couple of times a week. Having now arived in Pattaya and seen how busy Jomtien, Boyztown and Sunee Plaza are, I think your speculation on the after affects of the Tsunami are spot on in relation to Phuket.

Not to act as a tout for Phuket, I have to say that despite having fewer bars than the combined areas of Pattaya (Jomtien, Boyztown, Sunee Plaza etc), I do prefer Phuket and in particular, Patong, over Pattaya. Patong is a much nicer area, cleaner, large gorgeous beach, and it doesn't seem to sprawl out like Pattaya or indeed Bangkok (which is nice for a short visit in my opinion but who would want to spend two weeks there?). I extended my stay in Phuket because I liked it so much and I recommend to anyone who has not been to take a trip and enjoy this little island. :clown:

Liked

Great Post

Smiles, I agree. A great post with useful imformation.

Deceased Member
    Liked
    Check out my reports off site below, of the Phuket Gay Festival 2006 and see some of the wonderful costumes and dancers in all the shows in Soi.

Phuket festival pitures

more

more more

last

Liked
    Noticed . . . a profile shot in one of the photos above of "something" amiss under a Thai guy's (?) shirt.

Pair of tits?? A bun in the oven?? A woody all here would probably die for? ... stumbled across something lke this many years ago: I was agag, as in " ... what the hell do I do with something like THAT?! ... "

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand