Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nation - Prophet cartoon protests in Bangkok

Nation - Prophet cartoon protests in Bangkok

Thai Muslims stage peaceful protest in front of Danish embassy
    Published on Feb 06 , 2006

About 500 Muslims men protested in front of the Danish embassy in Bangkok Monday morning, calling for an apology from publications that published cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed.

"Today we came here to condemn the Danish government and Danish media that published our prophet Mohammed in comedy cartoons," said Mulis Timasen, who organized the protest with a group calling themselves Muslims Love Peace.

He added that publishing the cartoons showed the media in Denmark have contempt toward Islam. "From now on Denmark has become an enemy of Muslims," he added.

About 100 police blocked the small road in front of the embassy as the protesters chanted and lectured for about 90 minutes while holding banners demanding Denmark and the EU apologize for insulting Islam.

In case anyone wonders where the Danish embassy is: it is just a stone's throw from The Babylon. :compress:

About 500 men

Ahh ... now I get it ... Damn the whole country because of the actions of a few.

Off topic I know ... but I offed a charming lad (in BKK) recently - he comes from way-down-south. Anyway I was complimenting him on his very fine circumcision and he replied: "Oh yes, all of my bothers are cut and all of my sisters have been crimped."

They were just some cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo
    Ahh ... now I get it ... Damn the whole country because of the actions of a few.
    What happened to the famous Muslim sense of humour and self-irony? :angryfire:

Things are decidedly tense here in Indonesia.
    Just returned to Semarang after having the weekend in Jakarta

In Semarang I feel quite safe and comfortable because I am well known here - but in Jakarta many people did look more hostile at me than they normally would.

The Jakarta Post has many issues in print on this and letters to the editor are most unflattering to the western Media

I am sure it will die down soon - but really do we need to further antagonise the Muslim world with this cartoon crap?

Liked
    I am just happy to be sitting here at home in the USA right now.

These are the good'ol days

Thai Muslims Offended by Rap Song

Thai Muslims Offended by Rap Song Quoting Quran; CDs Recalled

By ALISA TANG
    The Associated Press

BANGKOK, Thailand - A music distributor recalled two Thai rap CDs from stores Tuesday after Muslims complained the tracks insult their faith.

An article on the Thai-language Muslim Web site http://www.muslimthai.com said a song recorded on CDs in 1998 and 2005 "clearly insults the Quran," the Muslim holy book.

It said the CDs contain verses from the Quran and "the Quran strictly forbids the use of its verses in songs."

The Council of Muslim Organizations of Thailand said rapper Joey Boy and songwriter Kamol Sukosol Clapp, also known as Suki, should not have used the Quranic verses.

The song, "Maya," was released in 1998 on a Joey Boy CD called "Bangkok Boy" and appeared again on the 2005 compilation "The Conclusive Collection."

Sony BMG Music Entertainment Thailand has recalled both CDs, and they will probably be destroyed, said Saharat Vanchompoo, the Sony marketing director.

Joey Boy and Clapp apologized at a news conference to "all Muslims" for producing the song.

"I did not intend to insult the Quran in any way," said Joey Boy, whose real name is Abhisit Opasiemlikit. "If I knew that there was an insulting sound or element in my song, Suki and I would not have created it."

The rapper, the songwriter, and Sony BMG's Saharat said they have requested a meeting as soon as possible with Thailand's top Muslim leader to formally apologize.

In Europe, drawings of the Prophet Muhammad published in a Danish paper have sparked violent protests in the Muslim world.

Easily offended

Funny, but I can't recall riots, death threats, embassy burning etc when the Taliban blew up those 2 000 year old Buddha statues in Afghanistan.

elephantspike
    Funny, but I can't recall riots, death threats, embassy burning etc when the Taliban blew up those 2 000 year old Buddha statues in Afghanistan.
    That was the first time I had ever heard of The Taliban, was when that story surfaced, and I happened to be in Thailand at the time (spring 2001). It upset me deeply to see the desecration of those Sacred Buddhist Images, but whenever I tried to bring it up with Thais, they always said something like;

"Don't speak of this. It is stupid. Forget about it".

A lesson to be learned, I think, for all of us in their attitude:

"Mai Pen Rai"

I read in the paper today (Japan Times) that an Iran newpaper is holding a contest on cartoons of the Holocaust in response to the publishing in European papers of caricatures of the prophet Muhammed.