Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: "Freedom for Burma"...by The Nation - Bangkok

Liked

"Freedom for Burma"...by The Nation - Bangkok

The Nation Newspaper of Bangkok
    has prepared this special video pictorial with music...

"Freedom for Burma"...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/10 ... 050787.php

It is a moving display of Burma's struggle for freedom
    during recent days tragic events...

Thanks to The Nation for their thoughtfulness in
    preparing this special video...
    demonstrating human rights for...
    Freedom for All...

Hopefully soon - for Burma too.

TravelerJim

Tj

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

good spotting

TJ,
    Good spotting. Surely the ruling junta of Burma can't think that all this didn't get out? But as is the way of dictatorships and milatary rulers, egos play a big part even after the "big heads" have stashed away more money than a person could spend in a lifetime.

Mayanma / Burma should be a very rich country by all accounts. That money is going somewhere and obvously not into the hands of the people. I think I have read that only Sierra Leone cares less about it citizens. Now that is a sad state of affairs.

Here is a piece I cam across this time last year when everyone was well aware of what was to come soon:
    "Finally, we should strengthen European Union sanctions against the Burmese regime. Currently, these consist of an arms embargo, a visa ban, an asset freeze and a ban on investment in named state-owned enterprises, all of which look better on paper than in reality. The visa ban is lifted whenever there is a summit in Europe, as occurred recently in Helsinki. The asset freeze has affected only ┬г4,000 of assets across all 25 EU member states. And the list of Burmese state-owned enterprises in which EU companies cannot invest leaves the regime's main sources of revenue untouched - the oil, gas, timber and gem sectors. Instead, the list includes a pineapple juice factory and a tailor shop. Does anyone in Brussels seriously believe that the Burmese junta is propped up by the sale of pineapples?

I can't imagine that there will be free and fair democratic elections in Burma any-time soon, but I can hope it.

krobbie