Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Flower boy's 'life of torture'

Flower boy's 'life of torture'

The Nation

"Isamai, a 14-year-old Burmese boy, has vowed never to return to Bangkok, where he was once forced to work like a slave for months. "My life there was total torture," he said. A man severely beat him if he failed to sell all the flowers he was given each night.

He travelled to the city from Tak's Mae Sot district when he was nine years old to find work. "I had to walk around the city from 7pm until the early morning trying to sell flowers. I suffered taunts and verbal abuse," Isamai said. During the day, Isamai and other children were locked up in a flat, where they were fed but received no payment. "After about five months, I couldn't bear it any longer and decided to sneak out," Isamai said.

He spent a month begging around the Victory Monument but the police caught him and he was sent to a rehabilitation home. He was given proper care at the Phumivej Home and was taught discipline. "I was also allowed to testify in court against the man who forced me to work like a slave. Many other children were victimised like me," the teenager said.

After the court proceedings, Isamai was deported to Burma but he crossed illegally back to Mae Sot, where his mother was earning around Bt20 a day in a teashop. He is now waiting to enrol in school.

Anan Paengnoy - The Nation

Moist eyes? I Have.

Bless Isamai, I would love to adopt a flower boy/girl. Is this legal in Thailand, a single gay adopting? Is there an age limit, I mean do you have to be over thirty or anything?

Liked

Cedric:

Your heart is in the right place but you just can't adopt all the street children or only one and expect that it will change their life. They come with problems that we can only imagine. First health issues, then they are not educated at all and maybe too late to learn basic language skills (any language), then they have family baggage. Once the family finds out that they are with a rich farang they will pressure the child to take you for all your worth and do anything to get it all. They will not adapt to civilized living anymore than taking a wild animal in your home.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2112gchild.html
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I thought this was ...

I thought this was going to about the physically handicapped boy that sells roses in Sunee Plaza. I haven't seen for a while
    but heard he was often robbed by the local protection street urchins. He worked hard and was on the streets nighty for a very
    long time.
    Selling flowers in the street seemed so much more romantic in My Fair Lady but still sordid and abusive for kids at nite..

Over the past 12 years I have seen many street children in pattaya selling flowers and other trinkets. Many are bright and cheerful but I have also seen some so tired and hungry that it made me severly angry. On many occasions I have walked over to a food vendor and bought them food to eat rather than give them money. I remember a brother and sister team that was especially heart and soul capturing and have often wondered what would have happend if I sponsored them in schooling. Or even how one goes about sponsoring. I know that one can sponsor thru the orphanage but not sure of other programs in place. Now I am talking about sponsoring only not about abusing them or living with them. Yes there are still good people round and helping one doesn't or shouldn't label you as a pedo.

A little throw away baby girl washed up onto the shores of Hong Kong not so long ago, drowned and lifeless, drifting down from China through the Pearl river delta and into the deep grey sea. I was heart broken for weeks on end, and decided that ultimately I would like to help.

Some strange responses, "wild animals" "abusing or living with them" "pedo". Not sure about all that, but I thought of taking them home with me and giving them a different life, one where they can be children again, in a nice safe secure environment filled with love and laughter, freshly washed linen and a bright future, whatever that turns out to be.

Of course I can't comment on the validity of this story which I read, I think in The Bangkok Post, and if true it is a personal tragedy for the child.

But my work often brings me into contact with workers from NGOs and a very large international and multinational non-political organisation that shall be nameless. Many of the staffers/workers/volunteers are fundamentalist Christians who see human trafficking in the innocent passing over the Friendship Bridge or passing the border control at Aranya Pratet, indeed some of them see the trafficking of women and children in any situation.

Ask what is the story's agenda? What are they out to prove? Who has written the story and with what slant? Besides serving the interests of the trafficked and potentially trafficked whose interests are they really looking after?

A conversation with a senior foreign police officer stationed in an embassy in a neighbouring country convinced me that although trafficking goes on it is not as widespread as some 'interested' organisations would have you believe.

All that I have said does not detract from the tragedy of any trafficked person, be it child, woman or man and in whatever circumstances. All I ask is be a little circumspect when reading and commenting on these stories.

PS it is my experience that the flower children of Bangkok are sent out there by their parents to earn a crust or a bottle of lao khao.

Rent a baby

I always buy the phuang malai at intersections they make the car smell nice when hung in the rear-view mirror. This following report is very disturbing.

Children in danger

Human trafficking suspected as youngsters go missing in Tak's Mae Sot district

Every month, a few children go missing from the Muslim Community in Mae Sot district in what clearly are cases of human-trafficking.

According to local community leaders, these children are sent to Bangkok, Nakhon Sawan and even Malaysia to be beggars, workers and prostitutes.

Some children are stolen, others are lured away. Some are sold.

"Some parents sell their own children," Thongsuk Khamveera said. He is the vice-chairman of the Muslim Community's board.

"Look around Mae Sot and you see how perpetrators exploit the children. Some mothers rent out their babies for Bt20 a day. Other women want to carry the babies while begging for money because this arouses sympathy from unsuspecting people," he said.

Thongsuk was now preparing to submit a petition to Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont calling for help in preventing human trafficking and other crimes in his community.

"Most perpetrators are aliens," he said.

In the community, some houses host about 10 alien families who pay the combined rent of Bt1,000 to Bt2,000 a month. Many of them reported carrying fake passports.

Thongsuk complained that his community was once a happy settlement but that changed after the influx of aliens. He said the number of aliens in his community now even exceeded the number of Thai locals, who are forced to live with the problems that relevant authorities rarely pay attention to.

"We suspect that some government officials are involved in the human trafficking," the community leader added.

He said thefts also took place on a daily basis.

Wisoot Sunthorn, a board member of Muslim Community, said the problems from alien residents had been aggravated during the past few years.

Because the town was located close to the border, people from Burma could easily sneak in and blend into the community. Even though a few hundred are deported every day, this many people are believed to slip across the border into Thailand every day.

Local resident Panee Panmini, 45, said her 11-year-old son disappeared on February 16 and she was terrified about what has happened to him.

"I don't know what has happened to him. I have been pleading with the police to help," she said.

Chaithai Raksachart, manager of World Vision Foundation of Thailand, said some alien parents suffered the same problem but were too afraid of attracting police attention to report their children's disappearance. These aliens entered Thailand illegally.

Mamijee, 50, said one of her sons went missing when he was less than six years old.

"But I am afraid of the police. I just reported to the community board. Till now, I haven't heard anything about him," she said tearfully.

According to her, several children go missing from the community every month. Ten days ago, one of her neighbour's children was among them.

Chaithai said most trafficked children from Mae Sot were forced to beg for money in Bangkok.

"In one case, a boy was forced to beg for money. If he earned less than Bt200 a day, the gangsters punished him with an electric shock," he added.

He said the foundation was trying to end the problem, but its efforts were insignificant given the sheer scale.

"There are many human-trafficking gangs. Besides, some parents very obviously are selling their children. We have been able to help some children but they ask not to be returned to their parents," he said.

An informed source said some trafficking gangs had even contacted a local centre for displaced persons to supply them with children.

"Each child is sold for between Bt4,000 and Bt5,000. These human traffickers then bribe police officers who will personally check their vehicles at the checkpoint and allow them to go undetected by other officers," the source said.

Mae Sot Police Station's deputy superintendent Lt Col Ampon Wongyai said police recently arrested a Burmese man of Arakan descent on charges of human trafficking.

"We are investigating the case further," he said.

Anan Paengnoy

The Nation

Tak