Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Torture Thai style

Torture Thai style

Amnesty International has accused Thai troops of engaging in systematic torture as they combat an insurgency in the south.
    Amnesty's report says troops are using violence to intimidate individuals and communities into ending support for the insurgents. Citing testimony from victims, it says troops have beaten and kicked detainees, given them electric shocks, and sexually abused them. At least four people have died from torture. A Thai commander has acknowledged isolated cases of abuse, but maintains torture is neither acceptable nor tolerated.

Liked

Re: Torture Thai style

They learned everything they know from their US Army trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by cottmann
    Back in the 1960's - early 70's when communism was a threat or thought to be a threat one of the Thai Armies favorite pastimes was to place suspects captured in the jungle in an oildrum on top of a fire and steam or boil them alive..........

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by sanook
    Quote Originally Posted by cottmann
    Back in the 1960's - early 70's when communism was a threat or thought to be a threat one of the Thai Armies favorite pastimes was to place suspects captured in the jungle in an oildrum on top of a fire and steam or boil them alive..........
    Even in America we don't do that. Well, maybe Dick Cheney . . .
    I suspect, Brandon, that if in fact you don't do it in America (which I doubt to begin with) it is because it is deemed to be too humane a tactic and isn't sufficiently gruesome for the Yanks to waste their time with. Anyway, Americans love their witch hunts and witch burnings where the sanctimonious can savour all of the delicious torments of the miscreant who is not sealed neatly away in an oil drum and out of view where it is hard to enjoy their suffering. You more than anyone should appreciate that with your predilections... this most American of all things.

As an American, I hate it when people lump all of America together and slap a label of their choosing. I wouldn't deem it within my right, certainly, to say "Thais are...." or "Englishmen always ..." :scratch:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Annan

I suspect, Brandon, that if in fact you don't do it in America (which I doubt to begin with) it is because it is deemed to be too humane a tactic and isn't sufficiently gruesome for the Yanks to waste their time with. Anyway, Americans love their witch hunts and witch burnings where the sanctimonious can savour all of the delicious torments of the miscreant who is not sealed neatly away in an oil drum and out of view where it is hard to enjoy their suffering. You more than anyone should appreciate that with your predilections... this most American of all things.
    "America"? Don't you mean colonial Massachusetts, A Brittish colony? The witch trilas were from 1692 to 1693 and the law, the culture and the methods of torture were all imported from England. The torturers were British Citizens.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    Quote Originally Posted by Annan

"America"? Don't you mean colonial Massachusetts, A Brittish colony? The witch trilas were from 1692 to 1693 and the law, the culture and the methods of torture were all imported from England. The torturers were British Citizens.
    Technically, Massachusetts was an English colony and any torturers would have been English citizens (as the Kingdom of Great Britain did not yet exist). Actually, only one person was tortured (Giles Corey), and that was using the technique of crushing under an increasingly heavy load of stones to extract a confession (this technique was outlawed in Great Britain in 1772). Most of the principals involved, including the Mathers father and son, were born in the colony, however.

Quote Originally Posted by imacnLA
    As an American, I hate it when people lump all of America together and slap a label of their choosing. I wouldn't deem it within my right, certainly, to say "Thais are...." or "Englishmen always ..." :scratch:
    but many other posters have no problems with generalising about all Thai people, while perched on a barstool in Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by imacnLA
    As an American, I hate it when people lump all of America together and slap a label of their choosing.
    No one is labeling America. America speaks for itself!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    I don't understand the comment about predilections.
    It was intended to be tongue in cheek.
    Glad you liked the poster. To a lot of the world, Americans seem unhappy if they are not involved in one moral crusade or another. It's a pity that it has reduced itself to a mafia style "enforcer" on the world stage for every imaginable form of tyranny.
    And then Americans are always asking "Why does everyone hate us?" :drunken: