Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Not good news?. 28 BOMBS BREAKING NEWS/

Liked
    I heard about this on the radio today. It seems the bombings are being amped up. They already let it be known that Bangkok is not imune from their reach......

So now I ask myself..... Where will I go for my vacation?

These are the good'ol days

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    I heard about this on the radio today. It seems the bombings are being amped up. They already let it be known that Bangkok is not imune from their reach......

So now I ask myself..... Where will I go for my vacation?
    Not Yala or Pattani I would imagine. But I am in the process of planning my trip to Thailand and Cambodia for later this year. I'd say the regular folks in Thailand will need tourists now more than ever. I could get hit by a Metrobus in DC tomorrow (there have been 3 fatal pedestrian-bus accidents in the last few days here) as well, but I will keep going there too.

New Year's Eve atrocities again

Update: Extremists launch overnight wave of violence

(bangkokpost.com, agencies)
    Six people are dead and more than 60 wounded in the biggest wave of coordinated bombings, terrorism and murders ever reported across the four southernmost provinces. A bomb this morning in Yala town raised the death toll to seven.

At least 28 bombs and three murders targetted foreign tourist sites, Thai-Chinese celebrating the Lunar New Year, hotels, karaoke bars, power grids, telephone lines and commercial sites in the country's southernmost provinces. Two public schools were torched. "They use the (Chinese) festival time to show that there is not peace in the three provinces in the south," said national army spokesman Col Acar Tiproch on TV news broadcasts.

In Yala town alone, 17 bombs exploded, and another six went off in Betong district town, a tourist-friendly site helping to celebrate Chinese New Year for local residents and Malaysian tourists. Three people were killed in the Betong blasts, directed at night spots and karaoke parlours. Entertainment venues and convenience stores throughout Yala province have been closed for the duration of the holiday.

Col Akra told government-controlled TV Channel 9 on Monday morning that the death toll stood at four, with 53 persons wounded, four of them in serious condition. But the Public Helath Ministry said 62 people had been treated for bomb wounds at southern hospitals reporting to the ministry. Another three persons were gunned down in so-called drive-by murders on Saturday night just before the offensive. He said the army now had control of the situation.

The Internal Security Operation Command, which is in charge of the lack of security in the South sent helicopters to survey the areas around Yala town. "Special armed forces have also been dispatched to hunt down the culprits," Isoc said. The bombings across the four provinces began at about 7.00 p.m. Pattani's governor Panu Uthairat told Thai television that three blasts there had hit the power plant. A blackout ensued in Pattani town, but said that 95 per cent of the power had been restored early on Monday morning.

Police said three Thai-Chinese were gunned down in Pattani province on the New Year. Two villagers in Pattani were also shot dead in an ambush Sunday night. The central mosque in Narathiwat was also torched. Five bombs exploded in the border town of Sungai Kolok and seven others in Betong, the two most popular destinations for Malaysian and Singaporean tourists. Two bombings were reported in Songkhla province, normally outside the insurgents' operational area.

Pol Maj-Gen Yongyut Chareonwanit, the Narathiwat police commander said at least two schools in the province had been torched. Bombings also took place in Chana and Thepha districts of Songkhla, but no injuries have been reported.

Col Wichai Thongdaeng, a military spokesman, said the army has sent additional troops to the region. "We believe that the attacks were planned to cause division, create fear among the people. They want to show that they are still capable (of carrying out attacks)," he said."

Bangkok Post

"Death toll rises to eight in Thai separatist attacks

YALA - The death toll in coordinated separatist attacks that have rocked Thailand's Muslim south has risen to eight, with 45 people injured, officials said Monday. Three people were killed in shootings and five others in bombings during 12 hours of violence across the region along Thailand's southern border with Malaysia, provincial officials told AFP. Some 45 people were injured in the spree of shootings, bombings and arson attacks that began late Sunday and continued early Monday with a fresh bomb blast, the officials said. At least 25 people remained in hospital, they added.

Agence France-Presse via The Nation

Liked

hearts and minds

I really don't think this "hearts and minds" thing is working. Time to go back to ass-kicking. Seriously. The kind of people doing this do not respond to paper birds, etc.

Dboy

Liked

Re: hearts and minds

Quote Originally Posted by Dboy
    I really don't think this "hearts and minds" thing is working. Time to go back to ass-kicking. Seriously. The kind of people doing this do not respond to paper birds, etc.

Dboy
    You mean like the ass-kicking handed out by the Taksin Government in April 2004?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3666981.stm

That was nearly 3 years ago. It doesn't seem to have had a lasting effect.
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Liked
    Well, that article sounded ugly, but if it was accurate the 107 killed were doing the attacking. Generally not wise to attack checkpoints with guns and machetes.

Do these people want to be re-attached to Malaysia or do they want separation from both Malaysia and Thailand?

Dboy