Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valentines day and chinese new year

Liked

Valentines day and chinese new year

I am surprised to see nothing about valentines day or chinese new year, which are only a few days apart

Does thai new year , coincide with the western date or similar to the chinese date?

Are there no parties for either in Pattaya?

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    There are a couple of items in the Calendar.

Bar / Clubs / Members can add an item if they know of it.

Re: Valentines day and chinese new year

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Does thai new year , coincide with the western date or similar to the chinese date?
    The THAI New Year is in April - it is called SONGKRAN - http://www.thaiworldview.com/feast/songkran.htm

Uh...how long have you been coming to Thailand?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Uh...how long have you been coming to Thailand?
    From that link
    "Now the official New Year's Day happens the 1st January"

I have been coming here for 12 years usually may or november and I dont know either, never had a reason to ask

usually I ask if there is a holiday during my vacation

BG,Just because you are a lonely bitter and twisted expat that has no life, why are you so bitchy to any one and every one that posts. Do you ever have a kind word for others. maybe if you tried that you might get some in return

Would some one please answer the question civilly Is the thai new year january 1 as per the link or during Songkran

Liked

Anything for a party

They don't need much to celebrate something or party in Thailand and, as luck would have it, they can enjoy three "new year" celebrations - the western one (which is probably the least celebrated), the chinese new year, and Songkran.

Just ignore BG. As you can see, he gets off being a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcraig
    BG,Just because you are a lonely bitter and twisted expat that has no life, why are you so bitchy to any one and every one that posts. Do you ever have a kind word for others. maybe if you tried that you might get some in return
    I must protest. Uncle boygeenyus has a very full and rich life, trading residential property at vast profit, while in the evenings taking up the White Man's Burden, offing go-go boys to the left and right while primly disapproving of "sex tourists" who visit Thailand for the same purpose

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcraig
    Would some one please answer the question civilly Is the thai new year january 1 as per the link or during Songkran
    The answer is not as obvious as many would have you think. One similarity between the Thai and Chinese New Year is that neither start the numbering of their year from that date. The Thai calendar ticks over on January 1, just like everyone else. So does the Chinese. The Thai number their year from a supposed event in the life of the Buddha, just as the world now numbers its years from a supposed event in the life of the Christ. The Thais just add 543 to the Christian number and hey presto. However the Thais call their water festival the "Thai New Year", more popularly Songkran, held on a fixed date every year - http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/specia ... index.html - even though the year is already more than a hundred days old, measured in standard terms. So the Thai New Year is during Songkran, strictly speaking, although they're usually synonymous in practice. The Chinese use the lunar calendar, which is why the date changes every year (like Easter)

I too am somewhat gob-smacked that someone who says he's been coming to Thailand for 12 years doesn't know these simple facts

Liked

at least something is on in pattaya for chinese new year

This is a news item from patttaya City news website

At Pattaya City Hall a colorful press conference was held in conference room 401 to confirm the details of this yearтАЩs Chinese New Year Festival which will take place between 16th and 18th February on Walking Street and the Bali Hai Port in South Pattaya. Khun Ronagit, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya, Khun Itipon, Adviser to the Mayor and Khun Soontorn, Chairman of the Walking Street Committee along with Khun Chaiwat, Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Region 3 announced the Festival which will undoubtedly attract many Thai and International Tourists to Pattaya. Chinese Dragons, Traditional Chinese Shows and lots of Chinese Food along the entire stretch of Walking Street are some of the highlights of the event which begins in 2 weeks time.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

valentine's day..

Valentine's day is just a commercial promotion by the greeting card companies, florists, candy makers and anyone else
    who can capitalize on creating hoopla for their own profits and greed. Mothers day, fathers day , grandparents day etal.
    keep the greeting card companies humming and the candy makers, flower industry etal. Don't ask what I think about
    the commercialization of Xmas..

Now, Halloween is a holiday I can get into! I would much rather get a greeting card for Halloween than for any other pseudo
    holiday..
    :cat:

Re: valentine's day..

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    Valentine's day is just a commercial promotion by the greeting card companies, ...
    Add to that a poor excuse for infantile journalists to put purient interest articles in magazines and newspapers.

My research led me to believe that the Thai lunar year and thai westinized Buddhist calendar are not the same, and of course, neither is the same as the "Thai New Year" (I think). The last I checked on wikipedia the subject was not yet explained, maybe I missed it, I'm sure someone on this board might get us there with a link ?????