Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Chinese New Year in Bangkok

Liked

Chinese New Year in Bangkok

Hi all.

I am booked to come to Thailand in February and plan to be in Bangkok over Chinese New Year. Is there anywhere recommended to see any fireworks, street parades, parties or such like? I'm guessing the Chinatown area will be lively, but what about gay soi's around Silom? Anything planned for there?

Struggling a bit to find accomodation around that time too if anyone has any recommendations. At the moment I am on a waiting list for Tarntawan Place, but I don't want to leave it too long before booking. Somewhere Gay friendly around Silom area preferably with no joiners fee.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Chinese New Year in Bangkok

maybe. BKKbig city has banned all fireworks on the street-not that anyone respects it, but its not much done. There will-maybe, if some donating rich uncle turns up, be some latenight big fireworks-but these are so often in BKK, its hardly special.
    For the Thai its only feature is the handing out of the Chinese bosses of the ang-pao=the red enbvelopes with money. As the TAT year after year saw grwoing demand from holidaying Chiense from SIN, HKG etc-and now the boom in traffic from the mainlanders, they staretd to grasp that some event migt be organised. hese have 1 ut of 2 been cancelled for various reasons, but who knows-maybe it goe on this year.
    BKK itself is mostly much more quiet, as of course the bisnisdoing elite is all Chinese and closes shop or goes somewhere. But the usual touristhaunts are often much more busy with the influx of tourists, who expect to have some spectacles to see and then get disappointed.

Liked

Ok. Thanks for your reply. Looks like I'll not find too much going on. Not that it's the reason for my visit. I only realised that was what was filling the hotels after i'd booked my flight and was looking for accommodation.

I'm sure I'll find some way of entertaining myself!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

CNY is the time of the largest migration of people on the planet. Most are Chinese travelling back to their home villages and towns in mainland China but more and more are also travelling overseas. The CNY is only 3 days but it is also part of one of the two longest Chinese holiday periods. Last year 4.5 million travelled outside China during CNY and that number is expected to double this year.

Plus, as pong pointed out, many gays from Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and elsewhere descend on Bangkok for the holiday. Expect popular venues like Babylon and Sauna Mania to be packed and prices on Soi Twilight to be at their maximum. Silom Soi 4 may have some small celebrations, but no other gay area in my experience.