Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22K gold in Thailand?

22K gold in Thailand?

I will be in Thailand on 6 Feb. and really excited about the trip.

I want to bring Boy Special a gold chain. All of my Chinese friends in Singapore and in Malyasia prefer 22K (.976) gold over 14k and 18k gold that is common here in U.S. Is it the same in Thailand?

If I bring 14k or 18k gold will Boy Special not appreciate it as much since it isn't 22k? If so, I guess that I would be better off buying him 22k when I'm in Thailand.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your suggestions.

22 K

Gold in Thailand is 22 K and Thai prefers 22 K more as 14 K and 18 k. There are many shops and good assortments, You friend will love to go shop for gold whit you in Thailand

Baz is right... Thais love gold... they sell it for baht which they love more.

Liked
    If you want to give him a gift of gold, buy it only in Thailand. He won't like foreign gold, and any impact you intended will be lost.
    Most Thai gold you see in the shops is 96.5% pure (a little above 23 karat) and as Thai gold, is readily/easily traded by weight at todays value in the gold shops. You're paying the premium/jewellers profit margin when you buy it. Gold Bhudda's and other adornments that you might add to a chain, are often slightly lesser in content because of their subject matter, at 20 carat.
    The real value of gold to Thai people, is it's instant re-sale value. So a neck chain is like wearing cash around your neck for all to know. They wear it as 'insurance' for hard times. If you give him gold that is not Thai, he will not appreciate it for what it is because (a) it isn't Thai, and (b) doesn't command the same retail value as Thai gold in Thailand. Nor will his friends who see it.
    And as other posters have suggested, he will enjoy the thrill of helping you choose what to buy, and can express any preferences as to the length or style of chain, of which there are many.
    Believe me. Do yourself a favour. Don't waste your money on non Thai gold, either for him, or yourself.
    Dick

Thanks for your advise! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I know that Malays and Singaporeans prefer Asian gold and really look down upon non-Asian gold (14k or 18k). Now I know that Thais are the same! I'll wait until i am in Thailand to buy the gold.

As a side note (inquiry) I thought that I saw something here about export restrictions taking Thai gold out of the country. If I want to buy some gold can I bring it home with me?

Thanks again!

Hobie

Other topic

Hoby 99, there is a other topic about gold on this forum " If you good man buy me gold mak mak " , and a good information link about Thai gold .

http://gold.yabz.com/index.htm

Link post by Joe. M in " If you good man... "

Liked
    If I want to buy some gold can I bring it home with me?
    I do. Just wear it. Whose to say you haven't been accustomed to wearing it for years?
    I don't think there would be any problem taking it out of Thailand... but you run the risk of your home country's Customs querying it if challenged.
    So best not to travel with all your gold at the same time!
    Dick

My God hark you lot!!! if a Thai treats your gift by looking down his nose at it then that boy or girl isnt worth being with. Im sorry a gift is just that , So you buy your friend a gold chain and pendant from the UK of which a lot of gold is 9ct. So its a gift your giving him same as a box of chocci's is a gift. So the value isnt great so bloodY what!!!! ITS A GIFT GUYS. not a pay cheque.

Taking it Home

On each trip I buy Thai gold and wear it home. Never had a problem. I always buy a nice assortment of gold baubles when visiting the LOS.

In fact on the last trip went through a full security check, the new gold chain with the gold-plastic encased Buddha drew a nice smile and wave through the rest of the security check. The security man said something to the gate attendant and my seat was upgraded from economy to business! BTW, the buddha was gift from a BF. It has always brought me good luck.

Deceased Member
    Liked
    10200 baht a baht weight is price at moment. Buy here for boy for sure he can see the price then. Dont forget the buddha on the end of the chain from 4000 baht.