Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you good man, you buy me gold mak mak

If you good man, you buy me gold mak mak

I want to buy a gold chain for a special friend on my next visit nothing too fancy, maybe 2 baht (1 ounce). How much should this cost me in a big red gov-approved shop in pattaya? Are there any tax reductions I can take advantage of? How much will it get if he decides to pawn it (which I don't mind one bit)

Many thanks

From today's Bangkok Post. Today's going rate.

GOLD
    10,300 Baht/Baht weight
    Unch

www.bangkokpost.com/

Some Background Information

A good site if you want to understand a bit more about buying Thai gold.

gold.yabz.com/index.htm

Another resource page:

www.belleaircoins.com/coins&things/essays/highkaratgold.htm

I generally go to a trusted shop and only buy for someone very special. Expect him to pawn the gold after you are gone, especially if times get bad (eg rent due and out of work, Mama's cow dies, etc). Gold will be his emergency savings account.

Glad to be your special friend.....hehehehe... :cheese:

It's hot enough to melt the balls off a pawn shop!

Some actually get it out of pawn.
    If he likes it well enough, he may even do it himself.

Thanks for the good advice gents. Come to think of it, perhaps the pawn shop might be a better place to buy from? Anyone know where to head?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

be careful..........

I have seen fake gold than sure looks like the real thing to me and have heard of con games where the fake gold gets switched with the real etc..
    The price of the gold is the same wherever you buy it..The price of the gold is set and posted on the window and usually there is a workmanship charge of at least 500Baht depending on the quality and complexity of the piece..The gold shops also list the price that they buy the gold and it is usually very close to the selling price..if you find a bargain, beware and it is either fake gold or something is wrong..Gold is at its high for many years now and looks like it might continue rising..Gold is the same as money and objective you seem to have a great attitude about what the boy does with the gold..
    Some farangs apply sentimental attachments to the gold they buy for their boyfriends and are hurt when the gold is sold.. The gold has no sentimental value when the family needs money for someone who is sick or for a younger child to go to school or to buy papa a new motorbike...

Re: If you good man, you buy me gold mak mak

Quote Originally Posted by objective
    ...Are there any tax reductions I can take advantage of? .....
    Does anyone have answer to this question?
    I bought a gold chain on my last visit to LOS, but didn't think of getting VAT refund....is gold chain qualified for VAT refund?

Some farangs apply sentimental attachments to the gold they buy for their boyfriends and are hurt when the gold is sold
    That's like giving him a solid gold motorbike and asking him to ride it instead of acknowledge it as commodity. “Here boy, take this 500 euro note, but only enjoy it for it's aesthetic qualities. Never use it as money” Farang mind games!

As for tax deductions it seems there are some legal restrictions against taking 22ct and above gold out of the country. Anyone else got info on that?

Gold

I bought my BF and I matching gold rings. He promised me he wouldn't sell the ring. I added that if and when we break up he is free to sell the ring 3 months after we've been apart. I then bought him a gold necklace and told him if he needed to sell THAT it was ok with me. The ring has the emotional attachment, the necklace is just gold. BTW, The necklace was more expensive than the ring.

ajarntrade