Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sing a song

Sing a song

As someone who, prior to my first trip to Thailand, looked down my nose with a snooty attitude to anyone who talked about going to a Karaoke bar, I have done a complete 180. When my firend, or more likely my friend's friend, suggest we 'go sing a song' I now cannot wait. Yes, I am tone death and can't hold a note to save my life, but there is something very liberating about blasting out 'First I was afraid, I was petrified ....' or ' .... and did it, Myyyyyyy Wayyyyyyyyy'.

However, a few weeks ago I saw the little Karaoke crowd go mad for a chinese tourist singing a Thai song and thought I would give it a try. Ever the anal retentive and planner, I got a couple of karaoke vcds and proceeded to practice a little. Last night at the karaoke I let rip and it is amazing to hear the reaction and screams when Thai's here a ferang sing a Thai song - perhaps my lack of ability in the vocal department is not such a hinderance when it comes to Thai songs. Not to be outdone, another couple of Ferangs were there and they belted out a couple of Thai numbers too immediately after my good self and the Thai girls and guys were left wondering what the hell was happening but again went whooping mad.

After that the place seemed to be rocking with guys and girls up dancing to a complete mix of Thai music from rock to pop to Morlam and even one or two songs from Cambodia and everyone had a great time. Give it a go, it makes a great change from the bars.

Some of the farang sing better in Thai than english lol

Heard some real screechers in the one i went to.

Liked

Well Done Fatman!
    I'm another fan of the Thai karaoke bars... as long as the company is cute!

I have always planned on learning a Thai song to sing at karaoke, but my problem is that there is always 5-6 months in between my LOS trips... so that song By Taxi, Loso or Clash (or even the group!) Has usually gone out of fashion by the time I have bought the VCD, returned home, attempted to learn the words and returned to Thailand.

Maybe this time i should get BF to send me on the VCDs now so i can start to learn during my countdown (39 days to go!)
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    Every time that I have been in a karaoke it has cost me a bottle of black label.
    It has been a way to making new friends and meeting all the HANGERS ON

Re: Sing a song

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman41
    Yes, I am tone death and can't hold a note to save my life
    I see enough people making complete fools of themselves on the street for my amusement, so for me the temptation to visit a karaoke bar is easy to resist

Liked

Re: Sing a song

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    I see enough people making complete fools of themselves on the street for my amusement, so for me the temptation to visit a karaoke bar is easy to resist
    I can see it now: Hom and Hedda singing a duet of "Feelings" at the local thai karaoke. Come to think of it, Hom, you might get rich just by demanding extortion money to stop you from doing that.... :clown:

My favourite ditty ...

... is the vampire anthem Fangs for the mammaries

Colmx

"... so that song By Taxi, Loso or Clash (or even the group!) Has usually gone out of fashion by the time I have bought the VCD, returned home, attempted to learn the words and returned to Thailand". Not sure if it really matters that much how old the song is, I have seen many an old video played in karaoke bars and even though some Thai patrons are a little bit snooty if the 'latest' songs aren't being sung, they are in the minority.

I have tried a few Thai songs but the easiest I have found are 'Mae' by Loso - a nice slow number with no real changes in the tune to throw you, almost like a lullably and my friend tells me his mama cries if he sings it - although, unusually for the Thai crowd I have met, he is more tone death than I am so she may be crying for other reasons than the lyrics of the song itself! Also have got used to singing 'Pahk Dee' by Potato - A little bit faster but the melody is condusive to Ferang ears.

Also agree about the company. I have two friends who regularly go with me and have a blast. Always keep your options open though. I had one waiter ask if he could come along to karaoke the other night, he didn't want any money, just to be 'offed' from the bar and come for a sing song. I think the more the merrier is always the best way to approach karaoke and it doesn't break the bank when you opt for something like 'SangSom' whiskey, even when indulging in drinking games like we do.

Liked
    Hi Fatman
    Found the potato song on youtube:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=X2nDRvcEsD8
    And also the Loso song (not sure if mae wah is the same as mae?):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75pgX8NNoQ

Just in case any other karaoke wannabes want to try out your advice!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Mae by Loso

This is also a song that I like to sing in thai karaokes, it is not very difficult, slow enough and the lyrics are full of sense. The link to this song is www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrWOnSdYKlQ (the link above is for another song)
    More on my blog at : llz.blogspot.com