Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Black Lives Matter when selling skin care in Thailand

Liked

Do Black Lives Matter when selling skin care in Thailand

an international article in the Bangkok Post print edition today about "derogatory names" for ice creams (in this case Eskimo Pie) was part of an ongoing series of reports I have seen on BLM considerations prompting re-naming products to avoiding offending minorities or using offensive racial stereotypes, for example Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben in the US, or even Colonial Brewery in Australia

in the article was reference to Johnson & Johnson dropping some Clean & Clear skin whitening creams marketed specifically in Asia because "some product names or claims on our dark spot reducer products represent fairness or white as better than your own unique skin tone" - I didn't see this actual article on the Post web site but this J&J move has been reported elsewhere (Johnson & Johnson drops skin whitening creams, AOL )

given the huge range of skin whitening products on the market here in Thailand, including skin creams, underarm deodorants and vaginal washes - the one gap seems to be dick whiteners - do "black/Isan farmer" lives not matter here or does political correctness just have different nuances here?

I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Do Black Lives Matter when selling skin care in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post

given the huge range of skin whitening products on the market here in Thailand, including skin creams, underarm deodorants and vaginal washes.....
    This caught my attention. Although my knowledge of female anatomy is hardly forensic, my understanding is that the vagina is an internal organ in which case whitening would be a rather pointless exercise. I thought that the external parts had other names. Are there really whitening vaginal washes?! Doesn't sound very advisable to me!

The Issan men would look very odd with a whiter cock! Brown is better has been a guiding principle for many years.

On one of my first visits to Pattaya, before they had gay bars and while the water was still pure, I stumbled across a gay boy scrubbing himself with sand on a deserted section of the beach. It was a good icebreaker and he explained that he had been trying to get whiter. I realised that he needed fulsome reassurance that his existing skin colour was very attractive. The course of reassurance lasted several days.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (June 24th, 2020), ktq (June 29th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

How very decent of you to spend all that time reassuring that boy so fulsomely over a period of days, I just hope that he showed his gratitude in an equally generous and energetic manner if called upon to do so!

5. User who gave Like to post:

ktq (June 29th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Guess i need to be reeducated...I dont see how eskimo pie is racist, next thing they will complain that they are being ignored and that nothing is named after them. As for the darker compexioned ones wanting to lighten up this is a wprldwide trend visible in South America, Africa and Asia...on the flipside the europeans spend time and money trying to tan...am convined the world is completely bonkers and we are only happy trying to fond offense.

Liked

It seems to me that the people complaining that non white cultures are not recognised enough are the same people complaining about 'cultural appropriation' when something is.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    Guess i need to be reeducated...I dont see how eskimo pie is racist, next thing they will complain that they are being ignored and that nothing is named after them. As for the darker compexioned ones wanting to lighten up this is a wprldwide trend visible in South America, Africa and Asia...on the flipside the europeans spend time and money trying to tan...am convined the world is completely bonkers and we are only happy trying to fond offense.
    I asked myself the same question and this is what I found on the web....

"While the word "Eskimo" comes from a Central Algonquian language still spoken by indigenous people around the Great Lakes today, its use by racists and colonizers as a descriptor for indigenous people has turned the word into a derogatory term. While some people call themselves Eskimos, it's a largely out-of-date term for non-Eskimos to use, with "Inuit" being the preferred term by many, one with less of a tie to the violent colonial past."

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...gatory-meaning

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Khor tose (June 25th, 2020), Oliver2 (June 24th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I suppose that my perception is unusual, having spent fifty years of my life living with, and in some cases in, cultures, that are oppressed, exploited and abused by racists.
    The crucial literary illustration was provided centuries ago by Daniel Defoe in Robinson Crusoe. When the hero meets up with the indigenous man he decides that he'll call him Man Friday. At no stage does it occur to him that Man Friday may already have a name.
    Accordingly, today's neo-colonialists and white supremacists assume that it is their right to call others what they choose, however insulting, while complaining vociferously if they are called red-necks or white trash.

11. User who gave Like to post:

francois (June 24th, 2020)

Liked

Skin whitening creams are, in principle, no different to spray on fake sun tan. It's just that some like their own skin to be darker and others prefer it lighter. I see no problem.

It's not like a certain washing powder ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43DcKN_2umI

Forum's veteran
    Liked

..huh...and here i thought all the "indians" in the USA would have fallen to their knees and rejoiced upon being discovered and finally knowing who they were..,

Liked

I think the whole idea of lightening that gorgeous brown skin is ludicrous.

But at the end of the day, it's their choice; it's not as though Johnson & Johnson began the craze by first promoting the products, afaik. So it's the locals who have created a market for such products and J&J have just catered to it.

They use skin whitening products and some of us use fake tan or (stupidly) go to solariums.

Same, same.

And please, no dick-whitening!

15. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (June 25th, 2020)