Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinner at Vincent's: A review

Liked

Dinner at Vincent's: A review

I finally got around to having dinner at Vincent's on Soi Nahmdupri across from the Pinnacle, Bangkok. The place has only been open a few weeks and with no advertisement it's attracting a decent crowd. The place is very subdued, with private little nooks and areas, yet not a very big place. It has a nice comfortable feel.

Service could not be better. We came early, just a few other diners, but when we left there were more chairs were filling up. Vincent the Thai owner was on hand and warmly greeted each table. One in our partly wanted to take the tour of the rooms, I did a few weeks ago, now only two were vacant. A few are staying long term.

We ordered 5 dishes, all Thai food and shared. It's farang spiced, so the Thai's among us had to spice it up a bit. The menu is very expansive, I do not know how they do it with such a small place. The rice comes out in fancy shapes and the dishes and cutlery are elegant. The quality of the food was good. It's not real Issan Thai food, more Bangkok farang Thai food yet none of the food went uneaten at our table.

Only four dessert items and they were out of ice cream. We passed on dessert.

The real test of a new restaurant is how they manage farang food. The cook is Thai and the owner Thai, so I am not sure, but will give it a try soon.

Cost for 5 dishes, with drinks under 700B. Well worth the price and we will be going back soon.

www.vincentsbangkok.com/

E Dok Tong

Re: Dinner at Vincent's: A review

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat

Vincent the Thai owner was on hand and warmly greeted each table.
    He's Taiwanese

It's farang spiced...
    Thanks. Vincent's is now struck from my list of places to try.

Stayed there?

(1) Has anyone stayed in Vincent's guest house?

(2) Has anyone stayed in the new garden suite units at Babylon?

The real test of a new restaurant is how they manage farang food.
    That's rather strange isn't it? Here is a restaurant in Thailand and I would have thought the test is how they do Thai food, unless they have advertised themselves as a French/Italian/Egyptian/Javanese/whatever restaurant.

If your argument is that farang food is the test because they mean to serve tourists, it still begs the question, why farang? Why not Chinese/Japanese/Korean/NorthIndian food? They're tourists too, probably more numerous than farangs.

Service could not be better. We came early, just a few other diners
    One would hope so. However, what do you mean by that statement? Opinions on "good service" vary

We ordered 5 dishes, all Thai food and shared. It's farang spiced
    How does that differ from watered-down crap?

Only four dessert items and they were out of ice cream. We passed on dessert.
    You've lost me already. Apart from mango and sticky rice I'm not a big fan of Asian puddings, so ice-cream is a must

The real test of a new restaurant is how they manage farang food. The cook is Thai and the owner Thai, so I am not sure, but will give it a try soon.
    Why is farang food the real test?

we will be going back soon
    Easily pleased

Quote Originally Posted by padlom
    Vincent the Thai owner was on hand and warmly greeted each table

He's Taiwanese
    Really ?. Looking at the room numbers assigned on each floor, I would have guessed he was Irish. :geek:

2nd Floor : Room # 12, 14 ,15
    3rd Floor : Room # 21, 22, 23, 24

Vincent is taiwanese? He spoke perfect Thai!

Came across his place as I was walking out of Pinnacle to get away from the money boys one morning.. it looked great!

How are the rooms like?

A good restaurant can serve good thai food and not good farang food. Always good to ensure that all the dishes you offer will be good. I would also give him some credit... he's just opened for less than a month.

Re: Stayed there?

Quote Originally Posted by sathorn2
    (2) Has anyone stayed in the new garden suite units at Babylon?
    Garden suites didn't look ready when I was there last Sunday... still lots of renovations

Thanks for update!