Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Recent Thailand Trip Notes.

Liked

Recent Thailand Trip Notes.

Back from a recent month's Thailand trip and just to give some updates and notes/observations.

First, pleased that Moses now has an interest in the Forum, can only be a good thing, hope it can encourage many previous contributors to return and make posts, trip reports etc..

Stayed Bkk at start/end of trip, usually at D'varee(Ballys)but forgot to factor in Chinese holidays so was full February, so stayed Baan Saladaeng. When in Asia prefer smaller hotel/guesthouse with at least some gay ambiance,avoid all major western hotel chains as you could just as well be back in Euroland and the very reason I go to Asia is to get away from things Euroland. Was fine, rooms spacious, there used to be nice view of area from balcony but as per things Bkk,block of apartments built directly across so that is new 'view'. Also hasn't had much of a tart-up for a few years but 2-3 nights ok.

Chinese Hols but still surprised how busy Soi4 was,it was packed from 8pm when I went to eat till late near midnigh. But was a real mix of clientele many young western couples seem to enjoy the atmosphere there. It is a bit touristy of course but relaxing and interesting just the same, I enjoy seeing visitors enjoying Bangkok. Went to DJ Stn twice, both times it closed very early, one night before 2am, other just after 2am, both times quite suddenly. Anyway some headed to GOD, a place I hadn't been for a good while. I think Bt350 entry/2 drinks?,it took a wee while to fill up but was very enjoyable. I was with someone already each visit so wasn't looking to hook up, but there many Asian guys looking for hook-ups. Also the vibe was better than before as well as the tunes, I hate hardcore/hiphop style stuff every spin, but the DJ kept it light,a real party atmosphere both times.

Soi Twil not as busy as expected certainly compared to Silom4 and Chinese Hols, but still plenty customers going around. Wasn't looking to off guys,so stuck to beer bars, Banana, Hotmale, Maxis, Dicks, Solid? beer bar. Bar across from there next to x-something where the massage boys gather for pool used to have a long bar where the boys sat. But now just has a single table outside, for massage menu, apparently boss was getting irritated with amount of farangs who just turned up, drink in hand from 7-11, sat there without ordering drink, so he got rid of the bartop. Don't know if that's still the case, things change so quickly.

Tarntawan Hotel as usual at the end of the trip, no change there, still nice Suriwong Rooms and excellent service. Internet on second floor was fine, previous trips it was iffy.

Stayed in Jomtien start of trip after Bkk, again at East Suites, high standards still in place. John the owner very nice guy, easy/approachable if help/changes req. Jomtien was great. Thoroughly enjoyed short stay there. As usual down to beach later in day when a bit cooler,the concession I have used past few years was as usual. I was later in day sitting there and after first day lady owner didn't charge for seat hire, only food drinks, while there is less space between customers I hardly notice much difference between previous set-up there and now. Still hawkers selling,massage boys massaging,pedicurists pedicuring.

Even more bars in Jomtien Complex than previous visit. Great atmosphere, plenty of lads in bars,steady custom with very busy nights at weekend and buffet/party nights. Tried to visit every bar from Bamboo to Posieden during my short break there. Enjoyed every bar except one (not enough characters to explain).

Not huge changes in Sth Pattaya. BT busy the nights we were there. BzBzBz the busiest, we sat on terrace with bottle of Red, couple thousand baht inc mix, bit dearer than some bars but well worth it in venue charging Bt200+ for drinks inside, and we were there for quite a while. Have seen the shows so not interested, far more interesting stuff going on outside, with passing 'parade' of thai lads, Asian visitors, farangs/Russians, B-Boys,with staff-waiters/managers/owners,agogo boys dropping by at various times for drink/chat, there was never a dull moment, as well as being able to hear/converse outside. Main reason we parked here was two of my bfs close friends from 'back home' who previously worked in the Navanakorn, Bkk factories (subjects of a previous post I made few months ago about their life working in Navanakorn)have now up-sticks, decided to give bar work a try as waiters/greeters, looking for boyfriend!

The Cabaret bars had mixed fortunes compared to other bars, Le Café was busy for one show while Copa was very quiet. Oscars was as busy as I have seen for some time,as was Serene, Panorama busy early on but very quiet later. Toyboys packed, I struggled to find seat there, papasan said very busy with Chinese New Year. On Pattayaland 1, Dreamboys had it's now usual 90% man-boy staff, with some very cute/handsome lads, Cupidol also plenty staff and busier than I had seen previous visits. Didn't go to Xboys/Vassa. Kawaii also looked quiet.

First couple nights in sunee had me fearing the worst as both Sky Bar (French boss back home for a few days) and Double Shot were closed. Soi looks quiet enough when only one of them is closed never mind both! thankfully couple days later with help of party mode at Duks and both open again it was business as usual. There were a few party nights around sunee on many of the nights which gave a great atmosphere to the place. AllofMe,Diamond,Eden,Euro,Rainbow and around area all busy. Party nights with Karaoke style entertainment out front were at Eden, Diamond, Duks, these are great fun and ups the sanook factor in the bar and surrounding bars. Also TingTongRed had couple 'Pool' nights where they 'hire' the pool bar opposite,put on spit roasted pig at least once a week, didn't sit at poolside as was content sitting outside bar, place full each night and great vibe, mostly Euro customers German,Norway etc and waiters kept busy all night.

Ouds bar had usual over-the-top entertainment from owner himself and great coffee/food here too. Colonial was busy early evening every night and packed on food nights. I managed to be there for their fare just once when Lamb Shank happened to be on the menu and excellent it was too! great atmosphere when full, glad to see Warwick has success with his venture. Double Shot had couple party nights, and owner as usual very generous couple nights I was there (non party) ringing bell and not taking no for an answer when I told the waiter I had just ordered and was ok, Boss man even came over to insist, so it was triple drinks there as well as buffet food if you were able.

Managed two NAB visits, packed both nights. Bfs friends from BzBzBz arranged for free nights for visits, even had chits for bottles behind bar left from previous customers nights out to add to our bottle of Red, so all fairly pissed both times and great fun. Also couple nights at TamNanIssan one night beer tower with food, another whisky night, maximum fun here too, its incredible that TNIssan is full from midnight to 5am, met many lads from BT, Sunne, even Jomtien bars here, many looking to hook-up with Thai man/farang customer, that's what some bluntly told me, they were there to look for a fuck buddy! Also had a mixed night (4 males/2 females) at Pluang Mai next to Tam Nan Chon. Food here is excellent,had beer towers with shared bill, friends insisted to share. Bands here excellent too, will play any request, I just enjoyed watching Thai customers enjoying themselves, even though only half full many were blissfully dancing away up in front of stage which helped give fun atmosphere.

Took Song-Taews to/from late night venues (as taxis).Just flagged down Baht-bus in Sth Pattaya/outside Tuk Com,stated destination with suggestion of Bt120..ok? accepted without question by drivers whether 2/6 folk in our company.

Stayed at Mosaik as usual, our Prestige Studio apartment upgraded to Prestige 1 bed in F block as they were almost sold out. (Chinese New Year?). Still high standards at Mosaik so still able to highly recommend. Our 1 bed apt was beautifully decorated and huge, with new matress which was comfortable, bathroom had Grohe rain shower as well as power shower, kitchen was well equipped, so bf was able to offer up daily huge menu of tasty Thai food, also he was able to entertain friends while I was out on the 'randan' (evening of drink/entertainment).

Hmmmm...that's about it really. Composed in one go, as I cant see how to save and return to a half composed new post as the last system was able to do, there maybe is a feature to do so but I couldn't see it or take the chance of losing what had already been written looking for it, so apologies for rambling style and any spelling/grammar errors, it is just written down as remembered when I get back home. Missed out stuff because it would only allow 10,000 characters and seemly I had written 13,000 so had to axe some. Might update later if I can still remember 'stuff'.

Just for note, got 51.5 Baht to £ at T T Currency all over Pattaya, for £50 pound Sterling notes.

2. 8 Users gave Like to post:

anonone (March 22nd, 2016), christianpfc (March 22nd, 2016), francois (March 21st, 2016), lego (March 21st, 2016), llz (March 22nd, 2016), Moses (March 22nd, 2016), splinter1949 (March 21st, 2016), Up2U (March 21st, 2016)

Liked

Re: Recent Thailand Trip Notes.

Thanks for the report NewAlaan
    Is Pluag Mai still only barely full these days or have they turned it around?

On my last trip in Sept they were bereft of customers as it seems that their mixers are much more expensive than either of the Tum Nan's. Have to say that I like it a lot more since they enclosed the front of the premises and turned on the Aircon!

Interesting to hear which bar you didn't like in Jomtien Complex.... on my last trip myself and a farang friend were very rudely treated by a rotund waiter in a bar (name escapes me but a think it was BC)
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    Thanks for the report NewAlaan
    Is Pluag Mai still only barely full these days or have they turned it around?

On my last trip in Sept they were bereft of customers as it seems that their mixers are much more expensive than either of the Tum Nan's. Have to say that I like it a lot more since they enclosed the front of the premises and turned on the Aircon!

Interesting to hear which bar you didn't like in Jomtien Complex.... on my last trip myself and a farang friend were very rudely treated by a rotund waiter in a bar (name escapes me but a think it was BC)
    Unfortunately Pluang Mai probably less than half full when we were there and some drifting out before close, as you know its quite a big place and easy to look empty, but I think it's the way it is now with the 'old' Pua-Chee-Wit style bars in Pattaya area, either they move with the fads/fashion/times as Tam Nan Chon did with pop songs some of the time and DJ sessions for the younger crowd along with the live folk bands, as there just doesn't seem to be the numbers of Thais going to the big folk-style bars nowadays, especially with so much choice in Pattaya. So many have just closed...Kampan, Nook Nan, Krapaw Daeng etc.. Not sure of prices as we were on Beer Towers and I wasn't allowed to pay the bill, one of the girls in our company took charge and was only asked for a share. The female/male friends of me and bf were longtime friends over a number of years and it was the first get together for a while so they wanted to pay for the bulk of food and drink costs.

Oddly I'm not sure of the name of the Jomtien bar which I wanted to warn others of as it's not one of the bars on the main drag from Poseidon to Venue. It was a bar I had never been to before and was right at the start of the trip so a month ago now, so may well have changed policy/closed by now. Anyway can describe where it is. In a line directly across from the Venue as you head out of the Complex towards Dicks direction there are 3/4 straight bars next to each other which are usually fairly busy with couples/westerners. The first night I was heading from Dicks Café direction towards Venue and this bar is the first bar directly opposite, and closest to the Venue, where there were katoey/femme gay lads lounging around which I'd never noticed before, also had 2 cute boys out front trying to get passing trade in.

Anyway the next day after trip to beach,about 6pm I was ready for a cool beer and catch up with sms's etc so decided just to sit at this bar on my way back to room, as I say didn't notice name. It still had a few katoeys/gay lads lounging around and cute waiters. So cute waiter takes order and delivers it, sits down starts to chat usual stuff, I wasn't interested as was reading/sending sms's, so politely said to lad that I wasn't looking for company today. Ok no problem, off he went. But I did notice the mamasan/manager (I assume)looking in my direction while talking to him. Five minutes later he just appears out of nowhere drink in hand and plonks himself next to me again. I hardly noticed as was concentrating on smsing. Anyway I did notice that he sneaked his drink chit into my bin while trying again to engage me in conversation. Not that sneaky really, it was a clumsy attempt. I immediately took the chit out and asked what he was doing, politely with smiles of course on the outside, (but inside irritated at the attempt to load my bin). I repeated that I wasn't looking for company and preferred to sit alone today, and up he got immediately looking a bit miffed. There were also 2 female staff sitting apart from the rest who had that sheepish look on their faces as they realised I had rumbled the bars poor attempt at a drink scam, and probably loss of face for the rejected boy who I assume had been ordered (by mamas an/manager)to try and get a drink without being offered first. Anyway one waitress came up to me and apologised saying no harm was intended. I had drank most of my beer, but not all, and while she was there asked to check bin please, she asked "why? you not finished drink" and I just said I wasn't happy with the antics of the boy/manager and so not comfortable there. She was fine and confirmed that yes only one drink to pay. By this time 2-3 of the katoeys and manager were looking daggers at me even though I showed no anger/irritation. Actually joked with waitress so there were smiles/laughter.

Anyway a long paragraph just to warn others about their antics, not so much for regular visitors like myself for whom incidents like this are no big deal really, but more for less frequent visitors or newbies who I imagine might well just have accepted the situation and paid, or even had further drinks loaded on them. Just interested if anyone else has visited this bar and if they experienced similar antics. I did notice on later evenings that the cute waiters were in the faces of passers by trying to get them into the bar, also not sure of status of bar, if aimed at gays/straights.

As for the rest of the bars in the complex I found the staff/waiters to be really good fun, and very keen to chat/joke and attentive service and great attitudes. I noticed couple former Sunee doormen/waiters there in the bars too. Plenty staff and plenty customers the nights I was there at start of February. Also a few attractive lads in couple of the bars were from Laos, but I thought they were Thai until they told me where they were from, also spoke good English. Very keen for offs, and I did notice many getting offed through the evenings, whereas in sunee when there are plenty customers you still don't see many getting offed.

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 22nd, 2016), Moses (March 22nd, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I handle this sooooo differently....when it happens, which is rarely, I always laugh out loud whilst removing the offending chit screaming that the boy is too clever and that he must go find a rich american to pay for his drink and not poor me. Works a charm, no one is offended, becomes a big joke and no one gets hurt. One thing I do know is dont cause a Thai to loose face publicly, face is VERY important, behind closed doors you can sit on it, but publicly be prudent.
    Last edited by latintopxxx; March 22nd, 2016 at 09:06. Reason: spell check

7. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (March 22nd, 2016)

Banned
    Liked

My main occupation at bars is people-watching. I was at G's in Silom Soi 4 the other night and at a nearby table was a young, tubby Australian who was busy explaining to his English companion that he was quite often put down by older farang who are "jealous" of his "success as a dot com-er". The remainder of the conversation was equally entertaining as he talked about his bar-boy "boyfriend" who saw other men "but they're just his customers, he has to see them" (how many times have we heard that story before?). If his business "advice" to a near-by Thai is any guide ("get as many friends on Facebook as you can") his dot com-er techniques are somewhat behind the times. Pure gold.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    so politely said to lad that I wasn't looking for company today. Ok no problem. I hardly noticed as was concentrating on smsing. I immediately took the chit out and asked what he was doing, politely with smiles of course on the outside, (but inside irritated at the attempt to load my bin).......and probably loss of face for the rejected boy who I assume had been ordered (by mamas an/manager)to try and get a drink without being offered first. Anyway one waitress came up to me and apologised saying no harm was intended. I just said I wasn't happy with the antics of the boy/manager. She was fine. Actually joked with waitress so there were smiles/laughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by latin View Post
    I handle this sooooo differently....when it happens, which is rarely, I always laugh out loud whilst removing the offending chit screaming that the boy is too clever and that he must go find a rich american to pay for his drink and not poor me. Works a charm, no one is offended, becomes a big joke and no one gets hurt. One thing I do know is dont cause a Thai to loose face publicly, face is VERY important, behind closed doors you can sit on it, but publicly be prudent.
    So sorry for your sight and information processing impairment Latin. You did handle it soooooo differently, you laughed out loud and made a scene out of it, drawing attention to the incident. And you handled it soooo differently when you removed the offending chit...I removed the offending chit! I did actually say "haha what you doing?" in Thai, but quietly to him as he was next to me, I certainly didn't laugh out loud out draw attention to it. Also you seem to have missed the line "politely with smiles of course, on the outside but INSIDE was irritated (not showing it). The loss of face was less to do with me and more to do with the boy and the manager who had ordered him to sneak the chit into my bin. The looking daggers at me was because the boy had gone back to the katoeys no doubt telling of his failed mission and that I had the nerve not to be taken for a fool, I should also say that the manager also got the daggers look from the boy and the katoeys as he clearly was the problem.

Also the waitresses who were closest to me were sitting there almost expecting to have to apologise, they kinda just stopped by as if they were just heading to the bar serving area as normal, they didn't make a scene of hurrying over directly to my table. So I guess everybody was aware what was going down.

So your soooo different version was almost the same I have described but I was more discrete when asking the boy what he was doing as we were away from the others and I spoke quietly as usual, whereas you made a loud fuss of it and was more probably likely to lead to face loss. Anyway you have no idea really whether your way 'worked a charm' or not, or if nobody was offended, or not, it becomes a big joke as that's often the way Thais deal with it publically while underneath you have no idea whatsoever what anger may be being pent up.

But whatever....I am not going to be used and taken for a fool just to save the face between two Thais and if you let them away with that no doubt will lead to other customers experiencing the same style of scam. When I passed at other times they still tried to get me into the bar!

10. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 22nd, 2016)

Liked

Being charged for drink I didn't order, or short-changed, has never happened to me and is unlikely to happen as I usually have just one drink.

However, when I go to toilet someone could slip me a bill. Upon paying, I would just say "I didn't order that" and pay for what I ordered and leave. That wouldn't be a problem in the bars I frequent; however I have read that those upstairs bar with girly shows have ways to enforce their claims.