Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WORKING WITH THAIS

Liked

WORKING WITH THAIS

Do any of you work in Thailand with Thai people?

This is a very difficult thing to do if you are used to working in another culture. Unless they are a carpenter, mechanic or other skilled person then Thais have no ability to understand how to do anything which requires use of mechanical devices such as pliers etc. I am sure if you have never worked with Thais then you find this difficult to believe. Speaking from experience, I can say that it is very frustrating because you must take so much time in such efforts that you will find yourself just doing it yourself. The same is true of driving. I am sure that somewhere along the way someone destroyed all of the geometry books. Have you every watched the average Thai driver trying to park a vehicle. Absolutely no understanding of angles. Parallel parking is a real joke because they will try over and over to drive forward into a space rather than backing into it. The forward maneuver is simply not possible but they just can't see this.

I have always wondered why they talk so much about everything they speak about but I am sure you have noticed that they do this. Any simple conversation which would take any Westerner a maximum of 15 seconds will take Thais much longer. The reason for this was explained to me by a Thai friend who has lived much of his life in another country. He explains it very simply: Thai people do not have the ability to "fill in the blanks." Thais must talk on and on because nothing can be left to the imagination of the other person. As incredible as this sounds it does explain how long they talk to one another.

It has been a really tough day.

Liked

Re: WORKING WITH THAIS

Quote Originally Posted by marti
    ...It has been a really tough day.
    Nothing like a bit of casual racism to help you get over it, is there?

Liked

I've read several blog posts on stickman that voice the frustration many farang have when working with Thai people and I can only imagine how much stress and frustration the Thai feel.
    These are the good'ol days

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Why did you decide to work at 7/11 ?
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

All of the things like parking & driving skill are down to training.

For example, compare Japan where they can consistently park cars in the smallest spaces accessed by a dog leg entrance, with China, where the drivers frequently cannot reverse a car into a space that's sufficient for 2 vehicles. This isn't down to ethnic differences, or even culture. It's due to the fact that the Japanese have a difficult driving test and get trained properly, whereas in China, people who can barely control a car can get a license.

I'm pretty sure the same applies to various other skillsets where there is a discrepancy.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons
    Why did you decide to work at 7/11 ?
    Your success as a stock boy there inspired me.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Nothing like a bit of casual racism to help you get over it, is there?
    Do people from scotland comprise a race. I would guess, in your case, a race to the bottom of the barrel.

Liked

My experiences are here:

Hiring a Thai Employee post258957.html

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hello...its their fucking country so they can set the rules...nobody has held a gun to your head and forced you to work in Thailand...if u dont like it fuck off.

Liked

Problem with low(er) jobs suited for the general average Thai, is that we Westerners expect too much from them, according to our standards and work ethics.

It will take a lot of personal training, probably in Thai (unless you can find and excellent English speaking Thai, but will probably already have a good job).

Don't blame the lads and girls, the education system in Thailand is setup NOT to think for yourself. Do NOT ask the teacher questions, just repeat all he/she teaches.

Then ambition to grow, means hard work and positive attitude. When a (sorry for these words) lower class Thai has enough money to eat, drink and pay the room, well time to get lazy, no ambition to grow.

Try and find a Chinese Thai with Chinese attitude/values, much better staff.
    [B][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=3]Life has no remote.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]Get up and change it yourself.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]