Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Shot-so what?

Liked

Double Shot-so what?

There's something not quite right with the "Double Shot" bar in Sunnee. I don't drink spirits there so the "double shot" perk goes out by the side of me. However I paid 340 baht for 2 Singh light and one (Leo) boy drink a few nights ago- but it's not about that....the place is beautiful but sterile...the boys are listless and go through the motions of service with no real interest in the customer...they flirt in a perfunctory way that makes it clear that a tip is the one and only desired outcome...or is this only me on a bad day? Maybe it's the best bar around. It's the only gay bar in Pattaya with a customised shuttle vehicle all but I can't get to like the place. Am I out of step with the whole gay platoon?

Liked

Re: Double Shot-so what?

Not out of step with me.

I never liked Double Shot that much, and nothing has changed over time to alter my opinion. Seems that the number of staff has gone down a bit as well...as least my impression when walking by.

Oh, and what are you talking about with
    customised shuttle vehicle
    ? Never seen something like that....

Liked

There are two DS bars. The one where the owner is in residence that has the same unbearably loud cheesy European coverband playing on the video, and as a result no customers. Then there's the other one, when he's not there. A variety of music played at a pleasant level and a nice relaxed atmosphere. I only went in there if he was wasn't.
    I found the staff generally pretty nice.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Much better when big farang boss is away. I have noticed a decline in quantity and quality
    (subjective opionion of course) since manager left with many of the host boys..
    Some activity at old U-Turn beer bar nearby and a couple of farangs interested in buying
    and reopening it. It may be taken at no cost from Sunee office (unfounded speculation) or
    one should consider the now shuttered Yaya beer bar, or making an offer for Krazy Dragon.

Liked

They should save their money and spend it on boys! hehehe Always someone who thinks they have a better idea but Sunee is definitely not the most vibrant business environment even if you know what you are doing.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    There are two DS bars. The one where the owner is in residence that has the same unbearably loud cheesy European coverband playing on the video, and as a result no customers. Then there's the other one, when he's not there. A variety of music played at a pleasant level and a nice relaxed atmosphere. I only went in there if he was wasn't.
    I found the staff generally pretty nice.
    You may be on to something with this split-bar theory. I forgot to credit the bar for the free Mr Bean (who takes away whatever miniscule bit of attention you might get from the boys) and the Gags from Canada (which just about mops up whatever crumbs of attention that remain after Mr. Bean) but I must confess to a degree of AADD so take my views with some caution.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Firstly it should be noted that the owner ( and I'm not being nasty when I say this just stating a fact) couldn't give a flying fuck what any of us think, he's very well off ( and if one or two of the stories I heard from other bar owners about how much he sold his business in Begium for are true then make that he's very VERY well off) - and from the horses mouth as he told me so himself he opened and is running DS purely for his and his friends drinking pleasure ( and fair play to him for that ! ) Hence the same European music concert video being stuck on every night when he arrives and the same level of the drink flying over the bar between him and his belgian friends and if other customers enjoy the craic and want to partake of the party and I guess contribute some funds towards the bar that all well and good and if they don't then they can merrily go on their way to the next bar, he couldn't care less ! And again that's not a slant or a dig at him, he's very open about that so fair play to him, it's his bar, he bought it as a play thing and he's playing in it, I can think of no better reason to open and own a bar !

Re the boys it's not so much that a load of boys went away with Mark after he departed back to his own bar ( I know of only one who did) but I know the likes of Dow / To To / Atom ( take you pick depending what day it was lol) went off to Kuala Lumpur to work massage ( and is now back in Pattaya but decided not to go back to the bar and now works in Copa solely as he had a friend working there) and the likes of Tar found a BF ( not bad for a straight guy with a kid lol) and so has left the bar scene (for now perhaps), but it also goes to show you that when we talk about salaries for the boys etc being what makes them work a bar etc we are totally wrong as DS of course paid the largest salary by far ( and I'm guessing anywhere in gay pattaya at 9000 baht a month !) and yet boys still choose not to come back or to leave the bar as they simply either didn't enjoy it there or maybe had a few issues with overall "management", so no matter what we all think money it seems ISN'T the be all and end all in Thailand - even with Thai boys it seems.

Personally I always enjoyed the bar and two trips ago I was an absolute regular there but this trip and as a poster above has already alluded to I found the place just a but more dead than before, with some of the life seemingly gone and boys playing pool in a half disinterested way and more like you'd see them playing in their own youth club than in a paying gay bar and the place certainly wasn't being as tightly run by their new cashier ( ex waiter and bosses favourite and "mates" with all the boys - which is a fatal mix if you ask me) as when the big boss wasn't there ( and that is i believe a direct result of Mark having moved on as Mark and his partner certainly know how to run a tight bar ! ) and also the boys they had were ( again being subjective of course) for 9000k a month not perhaps the hottest guys in town ( nor even gay most of them this year it seems nor interested in offs!) and I know the few times I did go in I had to work hard even to attract a bar man or waiters attention to even order a drink as they were all so busy on their phones ( again big boss not there and that would NEVER have happened in Marks day).

But all things happen for a reason and Mark the ex manager is of course back round the corner in his own pub again (The new Queens) after deciding that the grass definitely was greener elsewhere and is running his own bar again in exactly the same tight, professional and enjoyable way he always did and DS is still there banging out the ommph pah pah mdic until 4 or 5 am each morning for those that want that - hence the apparent need the owner decided for a luxury tuk tuk to drop off basically all his own friends but also any other customer that needed or wanted left home in the wee small hours without them risking falling off a motorbike taxi while hammered ! now THAT'S what i call service :-) And THAT after hours service is where DS does seem to be making most of it's money as it's rapidly turning into "the" after hours gay bar in Pattaya as everyone knows it will still be open almost no matter WHAT time it is, so perhaps the bog boss isn't as crazy as some may think and now it's just a matter of how long his liver can hold out to the nightly abuse, but again from the horses mouth that's not something he's particularly caring about either ( which is the sad part perhaps)

Anyway, good luck to both bars, long may they both continue and thrive !

Liked

Nirish guy's report explains a lot.

The place is an open-private oxymoronic type of venue or so it seems.

Usually rich men set up private clubs with restricted access but this guy lets the riff-raff in also.
    Perhaps he feels to have down-at-heel-farangs around the place is necessary for wealth and status to stand out- a bit like the Mormon belief (now quietly dropped) that black people (sons of Cain who slew the good guy Abel) were created by God so that the true goodness of the white race would be all the more obvious.

I t sure don't make sense to me (DS I mean) but "up to him" and he has put together a nice place in terms of lighting and decor.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest
    Nirish guy's report explains a lot.... this guy lets the riff-raff in also.....Perhaps he feels to have down-at-heel-farangs around the place is necessary....
    Those are terrible allusions to make about NIrish - I'll have you know he's absolutely fabulous

:ymdevil:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest
    Nirish guy's report explains a lot.... this guy lets the riff-raff in also.....Perhaps he feels to have down-at-heel-farangs around the place is necessary....
    Those are terrible allusions to make about NIrish - I'll have you know he's absolutely fabulous

:ymdevil:
    OOPS!