The Live-In was off on a 4-day trip to Ubon in the shaggin' wagon yesterday: making the Big Bucks.
High Season in Hua Hin carries on apace and ~ alone ~ I have numerous important tasks to finish up around the house (hoovering the living room floor for instance, or changing the lightbulbs to a much more ambiance-infused glow ... only two of a thousand fascinating importances)

So, shopping always comes into play on days like this: there, at the Village Market here in Hua Hin, I perused quietly through the large variety english language magazines, all of which cost me on average about $5 Canadian when I'm back there, but which seem to magically take on an added value of about 300% once they have crossed the Thailand border (575 baht).
So I rarely buy, but usually just do what I can along such lines via the internet, unless of course I've discovered that my friend PeterPhD has had published Part 2 of 'Sin & Sodomy in the Dutch East Indies' in History Today ... in which case, I buy (@ 1170 baht), having never once even contemplated throwing either sin or sodomy outta bed.

But today I seemed to have had a neurotically needful craving for a massive hit of GQ, just to critique the latest in manly fashions which the British version seems be best-in-show at most of the time . . . the American version being a complete wasteland.
Once in awhile GQ has some interesting writing on things importantly grave and in fact this edition includes a very long article on the never ending problem of Romanian Gypsy Gangs which are apparently running roughshod in Park Lane. Fascinating.

But frankly, I much prefer the shorter GQ articles: invariably regarding topics such as the intricacies of purchasing the perfect pair of silver cuff links embossed with a bas relief image of Prince Charles (and it seems to be extremely complicated indeed) or, even better, the staggering differences between the bejeweled innards of a Breightling, an Omega, and a Tag Whore (and it's a 'chronograph' people, never a 'watch').

The Breitling: Over the top and excessive
The Omega: Smartly understated
The Tag Whore: Liking Leonardo

And thankfully, in this edition the jokes were very funny and pretty well worth the price of admission:

A MANLY QUESTION: What is your view on the advisability of buying boyfriends from Third World countries? I have seen some potential "husbands" available on a website and some of them look rather attractive. My considerable unattractiveness does not seem to be an impediment to them, either. So it seems to me sort of win-win. What do you think?
W#yn@, Cheshire

DR ROD ANSWERS: I think in general it's an excellent idea, although it depends a little upon which Third World country you're thinking of. Thailand, the Philippines, Vietnam and Laos are the recommended countries for boy friends, as the men are usually of pleasant temperament, economical and unable to speak English (which you will discover, after several months, is an enormous benefit). Beware, though, of boys purchased from less reliable Third World countries such as Algeria, Mali and Spain; sometimes their personal hygiene can become an issue and they are also prone to temper tantrums. As ever when purchasing goods on the internet, remember - caveat emptor! Make sure you know what you are getting and do not pay a fee until the BF has arrived and you, or better still a qualified mechanic, has ascertained that all the parts are in good working order and that he matches the photo in the brochure. An earlier correspondent on these pages paid upfront for a young man from Laos and was not happy to receive a middle-aged businessman from D├╝sseldorf.
OTHERS:

• ~ "When my father refused to marry my mother or give her another child, she left, claiming she did not wish to put all her eggs into one bastard."

~ "Oxygen and Magnesium have finally gotten together. OMg !"

~ Regarding British politicians 'looking within': "The dichotomy of our coalition government is approximately how I feel about my own body ~ often my brain will come up with a liberal idea, only to be vetoed by my penis. At least I know my penis will NEVER withdraw from Europe."

~ "I like the Ten Commandments but I have a problem with the ninth. It should be: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's ox, except in Scrabble."