Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching on Retirement Visa

Liked

Teaching on Retirement Visa

I have an American Friend, age 60, Living in BKK.
    He ran a small company in BKK which unfortunately failed.
    He now has a Retirement Visa. (of course no work permit)
    IF he taught english to two small groups of 4 students,
    privately in his "home", IF an Immigration police official or whatever
    they are called were to find out he is doing this,
    would he probably be taken in and deported for this act
    OR, because this is Thailand, more than not, pay the policeman
    who discovered him teaching privately in his home, several Thousand
    Baht, and it is forgotten???
    I understand approximately 80% of English teachers in Thailand have
    NO work permits anyway...
    Replies appreciated.
    Much thanks.

Liked

Re: Teaching on Retirement Visa

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday
    I understand approximately 80% of English teachers in Thailand have NO work permits anyway...
    Whether true or not it's completely irrelevant. One of the conditions your friend signed up for when applying for a retirement visa was "no work" - not "no paid work" but "no work, period". Who can say what would happen if he gets caught vs. what the law says should happen. Does he understand he opens himself to blackmail from parents or students if he fails them in some way? That may happen, it probably won't but how risk averse is your friend?
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

Sooty is right. I have heard that the two things it's almost impossible to pay your way out of are drugs and immigration. One can be deported for doing charity work for free in Thailand. It sounds as if your friend need to earn a bit of money. I don't think he would have too much trouble finding a legitimate job in Bangkok. A day or two popping in and asking the language schools will almost certainly yield a positive result.

Keep up the good work Sooty. :salute:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

again┬иajarn.com
    There must be 100s of elder people doing it and in roughly same circumstance. The basic point is. do NOT set up your own ┬┤┬┤bisnis/venture┬┤┬┤, get attached to a school. At least half of all teachers in english work ┬┤┬┤illegally┬┤┬┤. Advantage of retirement is you do not have to do borderruns ev. 3 month, but OTOH you have to qualify for income rules, and for that the school-fees wont really be able to count

Liked

I'm confused!

Sooty says that if this guy is on a Retirement Visa he can not work - full stop, period, end of. Presumably that means a Work Permit is not an option - right?

Arsenal then says he won't have much trouble finding a legitimate job.

So - which is it? If he can't work or get a WP, how can he get a legitimate job on a Retirement Visa? :dontknow: :dontknow:

I have also noticed a few threads floating about on various fora - all to the effect that people can stroll into English teaching jobs just on the basis of being a native speaker. Surely this can not be right? Surely some kind of teaching qualification is required. I even saw one guy posting that he was intending to teach English on the basis of having done some ┬г50 self-assessed online TEFL course. I mean, for goodness sake surely there are some standards?

:dontknow:

Liked

I'm wondering if the confusion here lies in the wording of the original post (as well as the thread title)?
    Perhaps Bluesky's friend does not have an actual Retirement Visa (i.e. the Non Imm 'O' or 'O-A' 12-month visa and the subsequent 12-month extension) but simply a 12-month permission to stay.

There is this little flowchart on the Thai Consulate's (Vancouver) website regarding getting a work permit as well as a 12-month permission to stay. It all starts with applying and receiving a regular Non Imm 90-day visa and then ~ once in Thailand ~ needs some additional application work: the end result is a work permit, plus a 12-month permission to stay ... very similar to the 12-month permission to stay extension we have with our Retirement Visas.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... rant-B.pdf

My original Retirement Visa very plainly states that working is not permitted. Although the 12-month Permission to Stay stamp does not specifically state this, it's my understanding that the 'stay' rules are the same as stated on the original visa.
    So I'm wondering whether the 'friend' holds, not a Retirement Visa, but a regular Non Imm 90-day Visa ... with a work permit plus a 12-month Permission to Stay stamp granted by an additional application process within Thailand.

Having said that, all is probably possible in Thailand if an amount of money passes hands under a table. But the consequences can nasty if caught: deportation, jail time, fines, black-balling can easily still happen here as well. I wouldn't chance working in Thailand on the visa I hold in a million years: but many do.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

yeah maybe you are right smiles ... but i think any post that starts with the line .............. 'i have a friend' ... is hardly worth the finger tapping of a reply.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by timmberty
    yeah maybe you are right smiles ... but i think any post that starts with the line .............. 'i have a friend' ... is hardly worth the finger tapping of a reply.
    That's because your MO schtick is trolling threads, and adding nothing of consequence.
    But do carry on ... it's easier, and takes fewer finger taps.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

so i think anyone who starts a post with 'my friend' is being coy ... you think anyone who starts a post with 'my friend who lives in thailand on a retirement visa' doesnt mean that at all ... now i wonder what one of us is trolling ???
    how long have you been doing this ?

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    I have also noticed a few threads floating about on various fora - all to the effect that people can stroll into English teaching jobs just on the basis of being a native speaker. Surely this can not be right? Surely some kind of teaching qualification is required. I even saw one guy posting that he was intending to teach English on the basis of having done some ┬г50 self-assessed online TEFL course. I mean, for goodness sake surely there are some standards?
    Be greatful their not offering to teach Scotch.