Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of the Icon Hotel

Liked

History of the Icon Hotel

One of my favourite bars and clubs was the Old Icon hotel. When I first came to Pattaya, I used to stay in Ambiance but I changed to stay there, and do the floor show every night.

I believe the original bar was Mr Mike's on the top floor, even before Icon took over the ground floor and hotel next door.

Later icon moved over the road and continued for some time not very successfully.

My guess is that it was about 8/10 years ago when it was closed.

I would love to get any info about both places , when Icon first opened and when it finally closed.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: History of the Icon Hotel

Well the Icon has now been renovated and is now the Rome Hotel. Interesting thing is that they advertise gay but I have seen their ads on the lit sign board on Tepasit Road and says nothing about gay or go go boys which I thought they had. Of course that huge lit sign could possibly attract straight customers and well its interesting.
    Has anyone been there and have any reports? :dontknow:

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

The most interesting thing about the Icon history would be just how many shareholders they ever had at one time, and just how much over 100% they added up to. Perhaps that's why it's called Rome now, in memory of all the shareholders that long defunct bar of that name in Bangkok used to have.

One of the few times in my life that I was lucky was when I decided not to contribute to a share of Icon. My guess is that both the Pattaya and Phuket Icon Hotels and the Pattaya show bar all closed during the 12-24 month period following the Tsunami. Instead of concentraing on making the Pattaya Icon Hotel a success (renovations, improving the restaurant fare, etc.), they tried to do too much elsewhere. Their show bar in Bangkok failed, yet they continued to operate the one in Pattaya, first on the ground floor of Mr Mac's and later down the hill where Alois eventually took over. They probably had a hefty mortgage for the Phuket Icon and after the Tsunami and the world wide economic downturn, things just got too much for them.

Liked

The next door bar was the Sky Bar which was on the top floor of Mr Mac ( not "Mike") hotel. It had a wonderful terrace, great for BBQs, that had a great view over South Pattaya. The owner in the early 1990s, an Ulsterman named Ken, really knew how to run a great place.

Unfortunately there was no lift to the top floor which, along with the awkward location and its subsequent and last owner - so uninterested that he eventually left me and another hotel guest in charge of the bar and the go-go boys for a couple of days while he was away! - eventually finished it off.

The Sky Bar was operating before 1993, which was when I first visited. Icon opened next door a few years later - some time in the mid 1990s, I would guess.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

The Sky Bar, before Ken there was a Englishman Jim H.......

He arrived from Gran Canaria, where we knew one another well.
    He opened the Sky Bar and staffed it with beach boys, those who lived on the beach !
    He allowed them to sleep in the bar and kept 2 rooms on the top floor for short time use.

Just one of Jim's babys..

He refused to make the usual contributions to the local charity.
    Thus his bar was "raided" every couple of weeks.
    The police were shocked to find so many young boys and took them into protective custody.
    The following day Jim would go to the police station anf pay their "fines".

He left Pattaya under the same cloud that brought him from Spain.
    I think he went to India or Cylon.

The Icon opened in 1999 and collected names for potential investors.(I declined)
    David and his better half, both from Oz, nice boys until they invited Bangkok in.

Remember David Martin, from Bangkok,

He managed it after David S, left for Phuket and David B was the book-keeper.
    Too many Davids!

Icon Phuket.

A very long story, in fact 3 chapters in my biography.

Liked

Jinks! Tell us more...

On my first visit to Pattaya I booked in at one of the hotels in Boyztown.
    The room was terrible so I decided to move to the ICON.
    It was great, met many nice falang by the pool, and always enjoyed the view!!
    Did go to the Show Bar, it was good but too many fems for me.

My second trip was to Phuket and I stayed at ICON there also.
    Your photos are spot on.
    BUT it was deserted. And too far up the hill!!!
    I cut short my stay and ran back to Bangkok...

AHH fond memories!!!
    George
    :hello2:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by jinks

The Icon opened in 1999 and collected names for potential investors.(I declined)
    David and his better half, both from Oz, nice boys until they invited Bangkok in.

Remember David Martin, from Bangkok,

He managed it after David S, left for Phuket and David B was the book-keeper.
    Too many Davids!

Jinks,
    Are you sure that Icon opened in 1999? My recollection that it was open couple of years earlier. I have stayed several times in ICON (before David Martin took over) and always enjoyed my stay. Both other Davids were excellent hosts and the swimming pool was a big plus. They had a reasonable Thai restaurant on premises... I have to say that I always had an impression
    that running any kind of business in Thailand is a huge challenge for farangs. Not only because of intense competition
    but also in case of success there always some Thai competitors who may not be happy about that and act on their unhappiness... Yes, both Davids were not successful in their numerous business endeavours in Thailand but overall relatively few farangs are...

Liked

I too am pretty sure that Icon Hotel was open by 1996 at the latest. Maybe 1999 was the opening date of their show bar on the other side of the road?
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Directrooms entry for the Icon Pattaya: "The hotel is closed for renovations until further noticeтАЭ.

In my visits to Icon around ten years ago, the manager was William. None of the posters has mentioned him. Perhaps he left before the ship started taking on water.