Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Advice for relocating

Advice for relocating

I'm considering relocating to Thailand for a number of reasons.

This forum (and much of the ex-pat community) seems to be dominated by British transplants. I'm an American.

I'm not necessarily looking to live in Bangkok or any other tourist hub. I say this only because I don't share a lot of the expectations some would have... because of my work I'm used to heat and mosquitos and mud and all the sticky, icky things that might keep a tourist in a white, air-conditioned plaster room. In fact, I'd very much like to get away from that sort of comfortable existence and be as far away from the urban jungle as possible without being fluent in Thai (though I'm willing to learn).

Physically, I'm mixed race but lighter skinned. I'm young, not muscular but in shape and healthy. I'm flexible as to work but I have a science background.

I have some general questions but additional advice is welcome.

1) What is the dating scene like, in and outside of the big cities?

2) What are Thai men (gay, lady boys, whatever) usually attracted to, generally?

3) Which cities/neighborhoods are the English-speaking expat communities located in?

4) Is homosexuality a difficulty outside of the biggest cities?

5) What is the level of English comprehension among Thais?

Thanks! I have more than a year before I could move but I like to plan things out early.

Liked

Re: Advice for relocating

My advice is to think long and hard before you take this step. Come to Thailand and stay for several months or even longer before you do things which would be difficult to reverse. There are many positives in living here but there are also many negatives. Look long and hard before you make any commitment.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

From an old guy:

Never tried тАЬdatingтАЭ. Always went to commercial sex establishments. Commercial boys are attracted to money. Both they and non-commercial guys would also be attracted to young good looking foreigners in situations where money does not change hands.

Your question doesnтАЩt indicate if you are hoping to settle in an area where there are a lot of gay ex-pats, or simply a lot of ex-pats. Both types are found mainly in Bangkok and vicinity, Pattaya, Chiang Mai. Outside the big cities, most of the ex-pats are straight. If I had it to do all over again, I might be looking at settling in Nong Khai, Nakhorn Phanom or Chiang Rai.

Homosexuality is widely tolerated/accepted in Thailand. English comprehension among Thais is Poor to Fair in urban areas. Elsewhere youтАЩd probably need an interpreter.

I expect youтАЩll get more helpful posts from readers of your age. In brief, my advice is not to commit to anything long term. That includes house rental agreements and arrangements with partners.

Liked

Err on the side of caution.

The first thing that pops in to my head is how are you going to make a living if you are young? Do you have a substantial 'piggy bank' to dip in to?

Even if you do, I know of one farang - much older than you by the sound of it - relocate here about a year ago. Despite advice to conserve his capital he bought a house and splashed his money around trying to make an impression. What he has left of his capital will be exhausted by new year and then would have to live on his UK govt. pension .... or head back with his tail between his legs.

Think very carefully - it's easy to become a cropper here!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

welcome to this land of smiles.
    first-I DO advise you to first read up on the normal entry-rules etc that apply to anyone-Brit, OZ, US, whatever. Try a general forum, like thaivisa or ajarn.com (mainly aimed at english teachers-whcih is by far the most common job for most like you). IF you rather prefer US-views, then try gaybuttonthai- run by an elder ex US-serviceman, living in Pattaya and very helpful in these matters.
    To your nrd Qs:
    1.this is Thaild-there is no set scene, rules or whatever. Things just happen. Gayromeo os often mentioned as dating site (I stay in bigcity BKK about half the year- i see that about 20 new entries came behind me since last year-about half Thai-half farang). There are numerous Thai-langugae sites, often catering to both he/ho. When I sit evenings in webshops (very, very common here) then about anyone is out on the prowl, or so it seems for a hook-up
    2.as varied as there are 60 million Thai.
    3. all- Obviously most are in BKK-but they shrink compared to the size of the city. The highest % of farang has most likely Pattaya by the sea. Frankly-I would not go for this criterion, but first look into other aspects. Working farang either have some tourist-bisnis or teach.
    4.no
    5.bad. YOU have to adapt-frankly, considering living here in rural area on your own without knowing Thai is as good as impossible-and you also face a different script-which as such is not that hard to learn and immensely useful for the spoken lingo. Even if you cannot step over that hurdle, adapt to tinglish=English the Thai way.
    Final; as in about any other foreign country-to the utter surprise of many a USAer-but it simply reflects what your country also. stipulates- WORKIng is strictly prohibited on normal visa and you cannot expect to easily find jobs-except that dreadful teaching english.

Liked

1) What is the dating scene like, in and outside of the big cities? Dating??!!!

2) What are Thai men (gay, lady boys, whatever) usually attracted to, generally? Money

3) Which cities/neighborhoods are the English-speaking expat communities located in? Bangkok. Pattaya if you're into down-market types

4) Is homosexuality a difficulty outside of the biggest cities? Not as much as making yourself understood

5) What is the level of English comprehension among Thais? Abysmal. The Cambodians are much much much better
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

Have you been to Thailand for holdiay?

Quote Originally Posted by gunger
    I'm an American.
    You mean: US-American? From your questions, I assume you are a homosexual man?

Quote Originally Posted by gunger
    I'm flexible as to work but I have a science background.
    You will need a work permit and a work a visa in order to work. Even if you don't work in Thailand, you will need a visa for long-time stays.

2) What are Thai men (gay, lady boys, whatever) usually attracted to, generally? I am often complimented on my white skin and my nose.

5) What is the level of English comprehension among Thais? Rather low. (Sooty in the post above is right, but I'm an optimist so I choose different words.)