Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hotels and Arrivals

Liked

Hotels and Arrivals

I will be visiting Bangkok in February, for the first time in 6 long years.
    Here are a couple of questions for you guys...

My friend from the Philippines will be flying in the day after I arrive. So I will go to Suvarnabhumi Airport to meet him. Is there an Arrival Area inside the airport where I can wait to meet him. He will be arriving on Cebu Pacific Air so do all passengers exit at the same place?? If no arrival area, should I try to meet him at a Tourist Desk or Transportation Counter in the airport.

Next question is for me. I plan to take the Express Train from the airport to the Silom area.
    Do I get off at Makkasan Station and transfer to the MRT Phetchaburi Station. I have a bad leg and walking 200 meters might not be the best for me. Maybe I should exit there and take a taxi to the hotel??
    The other option is going to the Phyaya Thai Station, transferring the BTS, then transferring again at Siam to get to Sala Daeng.

Final question... hotels. I am looking to book for about 2400 to 2600 B per night for 8 nights.
    I have stayed at the Tarntawan in the past. But it is a long walk to the Clubs and Bars.
    What about Bally's Studio Suites, it is close to Soi 4 and convenient to the BTS.
    But I worry about noise from the BTS and Silom traffic.
    Other choices are Siam Heritage and the Saladaeng Colonnade Apartments.
    The Colonnade Studio looks very nice and I think I can make that walk.

Thanks for your comments and other suggestions.

George

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Hotels and Arrivals

1,re meeting: it is-like at any INtern. airpt in this world, of course not possible for normal beings to go into the Arrival area=beyond the controls etc, unless you have a boarding pass for some flight same day. Alas-there is No way to know where any pax are to arrive-there are at Swampy 2 main exits at the end of 2 main immigr.halls. Get that mobuy fone.
    2.trains: if you insist on the often much longer wait for the express-as such there is good news- they now run to EITHER Makkasan OR Phyathai, which has a much more easy transfer into the BTS=skytrain which runs above Silom, which also has No luggage check. But you still have to go down some stairs all by yourself.

The drivers and hotel reps wait for incoming passengers at Gates 3 and 4. You could tell your friend to meet you at one of these gates. He turns right after picking up baggage and exiting past Customs control.

200 meters is also about my walking limit. It might be more than that from the Arrivals area to the other end of the airport where there are taxis and shuttle buses. You might consider having your hotel provide a car. Driver would wait for you at Gate 3 or 4 and you would not have a lengthy walk. If you book through Agoda, it might be necessary for you to contact the hotel separately to arrange for a car. Yes, it might be at least double the cost of a taxi, but it might be worth it.

I used to stay at Tarntawan regularly but their prices kept going up and quality of furnishings kept going down. Main draw of the Tarntawan is the ease with which you can bring joiners to your room. I am now staying next door to Tarntawan, at the Siam Heritage. A suite here is only $10 more per night than one of the front facing Surivongse rooms at Tarntawan. Both of these hotels are equally distant from Soi Twilight (about five minutesтАЩ walk) but a much longer walk to the Silom clubs.

I also stayed several times at the Colonnade, very nice, easy walk to Silom, but too much of a walk from there to Soi Twilight. Then thereтАЩs the Rose Hotel on Surivongse, about one minute walk to Soi Twilight. Also, opposite the Siam and Tarntawan, the de Arni and the Tawana.

The Surivongse hotels appear to be populated mainly by (straight) tourists from China and SE Asia. If youтАЩre looking for a more gay ambience, then I guess Tarntawan would be the right choice.

If you and your friend are going to be bringing тАЬguest visitorsтАЭ (joiners) back to your room, Siam Heritage might charge you 900 baht per visitor. The Montien charges 1,500 per joiner! No charge for joiners at the TarntawanтАж unless youтАЩre planning an orgy. arty

Liked

There are numerous exits, so you'll have to wander along all of them to meet him. I had trouble back in July when I thought there was only one exit and was wondering why my pick up from the hotel hadn't arrived. I later found him waiting outside another exit! So just tell him you'll be waiting outside exit 1 (or is it called exit A??) and let him do the walking.
    If you are having trouble with your legs, why not just catch a taxi? It's only 300 baht max.
    As bobsaigon indicated, there are often exhorbitant joiner fees. I'm shocked at the fee charged by the Montien, as I was actually considering it art one stage.
    Not any more - I'll stick to the Rose.

Liked

A typically useless set of responses about the airport including a misleading one from a447 - no surprises there.

Passengers should exit via the door that's nearest to the luggage carousel on which the luggage from their flight will be available. Even if they have only hand luggage that is the rule if you are to find them. Inside the exits are not labeled A, B, C etc. but outside they are, and the Arrivals board will tell you (waiting outside) which exit (A, B, C etc.) is nearest the luggage belt for the flight on which your friend will be arriving. I'd be inclined to give him your mobile number so he can SMS you if you fail to meet. Limo drivers and hotel greeters all seem to know this rule but there's now a standard meeting place for limo drivers.

There is no walkable link from Makassan to the MRT. Take the airport train all the way to Phya Thai and then transfer to the Skytrain there. Good luck with the transfer; it is usually full by the time it leaves Victory Monument etc. to get to Phya Thai. If you take the "suburban" rather than the "express" airport train from the airport you will save around 15 minutes but the cost difference is substantial - for the two of you almost cheaper to take a taxi. The alternative is the Airport bus which leaves from the ground floor and one route (A1?) will take you straight to Silom for only 100 baht each as I recall (a little while since I've been to Bangkok but not as long as you). As I say, for two of you it's almost as cheap to take a taxi, depending on the time of day.

If you must take the Skytrain there's a change from Airport link at Phya Thai and another at Siam to the Silom line. More trouble than it's worth in my opinion especially if you have to hump suitcases.
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

sooty wrote:
    including a misleading one from a447 - no surprises there.
    Care to back that up,Sooty?

Liked

Hello Bob and thanks for the information.
    Are Gates 3 and 4 the same?
    Which of these gates would be easier for him to locate?
    Are they clearly marked??

This is my Filipino friend's first trip overseas.
    And he is very worried about not meeting me in BKK, as am I!!
    May I go inside the terminal lobby before the security check points?
    As you can at most airport here in the US.
    In that case I will watch the Arrivals board and try to find his Gate.
    Unfortunately coming from the Philippines, he will not have SMS.
    But I will email him my mobile number after I arrive in BKK.

As to hotels, I thought Bally's Studio Suites would be convenient for both Telephone Bar and walking to Soi Twilight. And easy to take BTS to the malls and the River. I am just concerned about the noise!!!
    I do not know how the Rose is now. Back when I did "short time" there, it as bad!!!
    I looked at the Siam when it first opened. Very nice. But had forget about the Joiner's fee.
    My friend is not into casual sex, in fact he is not attracted to Asians. So I guess that will not be an issue. HAHAHA

Thanks again

I donтАЩt know why responses above were тАЬtypically uselessтАЭ, but I would agree with Sooty that taking taxi or hotel car is the best choice.

Gates 3 and 4 are adjoining. They are exit doors and the numbers are clearly placed above each of them. Arriving passengers go through passport control, pick up luggage, proceed past Customs (random baggage check possible) and then exit the Arrivals area. No way to see them before they come out. If there is a board showing which luggage carousel the baggage is on for that flight, then you could guess where heтАЩd exit. IтАЩd still opt for meeting at Gates 3 or 4. YouтАЩll see this all when you arrive, so can give more detailed info to your friend.

Take a look at Google Street View of Bally. If they have triple pane windows facing an inner courtyard, it might not be noisy. If not, wow, itтАЩs just a few feet from the constant Silom traffic.

Rose Hotel is MUCH better than the old days. Totally renovated, even respectable enough for families (but still very welcoming for gay guests). Take a look at their website and reviews on Tripadvisor.

Stories about Bangkok have certainly reached your pinoy friend. IтАЩm sure it will be an exciting, eye-opening experience for him. Enjoy. (And you can also be confident that security/personal safety is not nearly as much of a concern around Silom/Surivongse as it can be in Metro Manila.)

BTW, when your plane lands at Suvarnabhumi, the walk to passport control could be 500 meters. Probably good to request a wheelchair, no matter what your age is, when you check in for the Bangkok bound flight. Wheelchair also gets you into the fast track line for passport control. I usually tip the wheelchair attendant 200 Baht.

Liked

Hello!!
    Sooooty! Sooooty??
    Well,.....? Where are you?
    Don't run and hide.

Come on, back up that statement.