Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: New airport travel times

New airport travel times

I took the jeep out for a spin yesterday in moderate traffic - down past the turn-off to the new airport. The time from the Rama IV turnoff (near Silom) and the new airport was 20 minutes (both directions). Hedda tells me it's around 1 hour 40 minutes from the airport to Pattaya

For those of us in Bangkok the travel time is likely to be the same (depending on where in Bangkok) but it will be a bit closer for those who are Pattaya-bound. If you're hoping to use the SkyTrain link any time soon - dream on. There is activity, but you can go for miles and see support pylons in various stages of construction, and I think I caught sight of 3 sections of the overhead line itself - the longest spanning only 5 pylons ie. 4/5 of 5/8 of bugger all

Liked: 1

High speed train

I think you will find that there is no real skytrain link planned but a high sped train. Bangkok's third new non-integrated mass transport system and not ready for some years yet.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

Liked

5 MINUTES TO NOVOTEL SUVARNABHUMI

NOVOTEL SUVARNABHUMI

Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel is only a five minute walk from Bangkoks new international airport, via a 300 metre underground walkway. The hotel features 612 rooms, 4 restaurants, 2 bars, a swimming pool, fitness centre and health spa. Banquet and convention facilities include 6 meeting rooms and a 850 square metre ballroom for up to 800 people

Price = 2380 ++/night
    Audible smoke alarms
    Black out curtains
    DDI - Direct Dialing In
    Safe deposit box in room
    Atrium Terrace : Round the clock lobby lounge including 18 seats Wine & Cigar bar (24 hours)
    Entertainment Bar : American bar
    Splash Pool Bar : Swimming Pool Bar, serving fruit juice, cocktail, etc. (08:00-21:00)
    Kam Kok Hin : Full a-la-carte Cantonese restaurant open from 11 am to 11 pm. Offer 5 beautifully appointed private rooms for up to 20 diners. The restaurant may be open at breakfast (dim sum) from time to time. Please inquire at reception upon check-in
    Kinsen : Kinsen is open from 11 am to 11pm. It offers a nice selction fo sushi and shashimi dishes. Teppanyaki facilities are available on request and subject to prior reservation
    Sala Thai : Round the clock restaurant featuring Thai cuisine, buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner. A-la-carte menu round the clock. The restaurant is located within the same premises as those of The Square (24 hours)
    The Square : 220-seat round the clock restaurant featuring international cuisine, buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner. A-la-carte menu round the clock.
    Safety equipment/installations :
    Emergency lighting at Emergency Exits
    Hallway sprinkler system
    Smoke alarm in public area

Other facilities

No hot and cold running boys?

Re: New airport travel times

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Hedda tells me it's around 1 hour 40 minutes from the airport to Pattaya
    It took me that long Sunday before last, from Jomtien -- and that during a very heavy rainstorm with all of the traffic, accidents and subsequent rubber-necking that go with such a storm, so I'm hoping the 'low-traffic' time will be closer to 1h15. I think the largest benefit for those of us who come to Thailand for the weekend will be not having to deal with Bangkok traffic when going on to Pattaya (especially the Friday night arrival!!).

Pattaya - New Airport.

quote "I'm hoping the 'low-traffic' time will be closer to 1h15"

I think only during the wee small hours and over the speed limit. I normally takes about an hour to Chonburi. I have times to the Airport from Pattaya and thought 1.75 hours ws about right in reasonable conditions. Many publicists are quoting and hour!

The good news is that they are widening the, recently opened Highway 7, from Bangkok to Chonburi. A Transport Minister assured us that it would be widened to 4 lanes all the way to Pattaya. I don't think funds are allocated yet and by the way the traffic is developing it probably won't speed things up much.

I suppose that from Bangkok will depend on your starting point as to whether you go highway 7 or to Bang Na and round the ring road.

A decent rail service Bangkok-Airport-Chonburi-Lam Chabang-Pattaya-Rayong would do wonders for easing the car and lorry traffic.

Re: Pattaya - New Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    ... The good news is that they are widening the, recently opened Highway 7, from Bangkok to Chonburi. A Transport Minister assured us that it would be widened to 4 lanes all the way to Pattaya....
    I thought, on my first trip to Pattaya, that the road was four lanes wide. My taxi driver seemed to spend a lot of the log-jammed journey overtaking other vehicles on sloping, dusty and bumpy bits of, what may now become, the official fourth lane!

Clarification : 4 Lanes in each direction i.e. 8 lanes wide.