Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how about the gay scene in Sri Lanka

Liked: 1

how about the gay scene in Sri Lanka

Hi
    I would like to go to Sri Lanka
    I noted however that homosexuality is still illegal :dontknow: , I understand however that this old law is no more applied today and we may have gay relationship with local "more than 18 years" boys without any risk of being considered a criminal. :happy7:
    Is that correct ? How is the gay life in Sri Lanka ? any experience with money boys ?
    Thank in advance for your answers
    best regards

Liked

Re: how about the gay scene in Sri Lanka

I read a trip report on here last year about Sri Lanka - don't remember who posted it, but I imagine you could find it by using the search function. It sounded like a great place to visit.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I just love all these old posters coming back!!

Indians! Yuk, didn't the guy who wrote war of the worlds or one of those scifi books live there so he could chase the boys?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    Indians! Yuk, didn't the guy who wrote war of the worlds or one of those scifi books live there so he could chase the boys?
    Sri Lanka has never been part of India, so I believe it is not correct to refer to them as "Indians." The Sri Lankan Tamils are descended from Indian migrants, but the native Sinhalese are not.

I believe you're thinking of Arthur C. Clarke, a well-known writer who lived in Sri Lanka from 1956 till his death in 2008. HG Wells wrote "War of the Worlds," and never visited either India or Sri Lanka.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cottmann
    The Sri Lankan Tamils are descended from Indian migrants, but the native Sinhalese are not.
    The Sinhalese are indeed descended from India, not only in fact, but according to their own Sinhalese founding myths, the Dipavamsa, Mahavamsa, and Culavamsa. There is a very small tribe of "Veddas" who are the indigenous people of Sri Lanka located deep in the interior of the country around Mahiyangana.

THERE IS NO "GAY SCENE" IN SRI LANKA. There are no gay bars, no gay clubs, no gay venues and no gay meeting places. There are a couple of gay owned guesthouses which are rather lackluster, small, and which must remain very discreet. It is best not to be too obvious in public and there are occasional attempts to extort money from gay tourists in places such as, but not limited to, Negombo. And yes, all forms of homosexuality are illegal although the laws are not routinely enforced. The laws against lesbianism were introduced more recently in 1996. There are unsavory local guys you can find in any of the beach resorts who will go with foreign men or women, try to sell you drugs, do anything they can for money, and possibly blackmail or rob you. Petty theft is widespread.

Right and Im descended from white people who came to Australia so Im a white person too the people in Sri Lanka are descended from Indians who came there and I guess is we tested there DAN we could see that there generally speaking Indians.

Liked

My report is very difficult to find.....
    short-trip-negombo-t25364.html
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Liked

I was in Sri Lanka last month to see what it had to offer.
    Sri Lanka is not a place to travel to for gay sex. If you must go there, you should stick to one of the two places that atri1666 has mentioned in his report on Negombo. Both these places are very small and very subdued. There are even fewer guesthouse options elsewhere and you can have problems bringing a local back to your room. You should limit your contacts to hotel staff and the internet even in the two places Atri1666 mentions.

You would be wise to take the Human Rights Watch warning about Sri Lanka very seriously where they have recently stated the following:
    In recent years human rights organizations reported that, while not actively arresting and prosecuting those who engaged in LGBT activity, police harassed and extorted money or sexual favors from those persons and assaulted gays and lesbians in Colombo and other areas. This led to many incidents of crimes against members of the LGBT community going unreported.

Undercover police and immigration authorities earn extra money by convincing unsuspecting tourists, especially single males, that they have violated some law or ordinance. The good side of this is that it rarely costs more than $500 to get out of whatever it is you have been accused of with their fabricated stories. While I was there, a Canadian who called thier bluff was put into the hellhole known as the Mirihana Detention Center where illegal migrants are held. They charged him with "talking to a drug user" on the street. He was kept there for two weeks until a judge determined he was not guilty but nevertheless deported since by that time his visa had expired. Negombo is the most problematic place for this kind of activity. It is best not to engage in any conversations with locals on the beach since this is a prime area for shakedowns and set ups. In any event, despite atri1666's photos, the beach in Negombo is not very good. The water is filthy.

Sri Lanka can be a nice place to visit for the tourist sites, but just don't go there expecting to find sex. Some very limited sexual opportunities are there but they are complicated and fraught with potential grief.

Liked

Nice horror story. I will stay there again. Was speaking with some old expats there and they all love it.
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay