List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Thai gays be affected by TPP should Thailand join?

Liked

Would Thai gays be affected by TPP should Thailand join?

As seen in the news papers this morning, the contentious "Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement" that has been floating around for quite some time now but has America for some reason trying to put pressure on Thailand to join.

Personally I think it would be a good thing if Thailand remain independent of this type of binding agreement with big Nations like America or at least proceed with the greatest of caution. China is Thailand's number one investor followed by Japan then America.

If anything the recent and ongoing financial crisis should have made it clear that the US financial sector is dysfunctional so binding ones economy to it would seem in this day and age reckless to say the least.

But more importantly this agreement as it is proposed in its present form due to copyright issues, patents etc etc could jeopardise cheap drugs for Thais, making many drugs unaffordable to the poor.

The issue of access to cheap medicine being threatened by the TPP for me is the strongest argument for Thailand not ever joining.

This is a very well argued brief by "Medicins Sans Frontieres" http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/pr ... -Brief.pdf for their "Campaign for Access to Essential Medicines" against the TPP agreement.

Again Rob33 beat up on Americans. My last nerve. Warning

Liked

Re: Would Thai gays be affected by TPP should Thailand join?

Thanks for your informative post on the "Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement". I was unaware of it.
    It would be a pity if once again the American government used its position as the world's biggest bully, to achieve its own selfish motives in every far flung corner of the world. I think the American government realizes that aside from a few patents and copyrights there is little it can offer the world. It no longer makes anything of significance other than armaments and weapons of mass destruction, and is moving into the 21st century on its all but bankrupt reputation.

N.B. to DaBoss: this is not a "beat up" on American people. It is a comment on the actions of the American government which is despised even by the majority of its own people, not to mention those of the rest of the world.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thai Dyed, I don't look at this post as beat up on Americans. There are many many Americans that hate the political stance of American government and trying to be the world's bully and police force. I think that one reason on drugs is that they try to get them and some terrorists before they hit American soil or for that matter counterfiters. But to constanty bring up that we deserved what we have because we allowed another Bush to regin or because we have too many Republicans we have allowed in is bullshit. No you did not say that another poster did. We have Democraps and Republian assholes just like everyone has, they just call them by different names. Everyone promises to change everything in 4 years and then after 4 years explains why they need to get another 4 years because the last group left them too much crap. Every nation has them, we are not alone and many of us don't like the name policeman or bully of the world, unfortuantely there just doesn't seem to be enough of us to get it changed!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    ...unfortuantely there just doesn't seem to be enough of us to get it changed!
    How true.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Or who don't care to make their voices heard because they don't think their single vote really would make a difference.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    Thai Dyed, I don't look at this post as beat up on Americans.
    Nor do I. So who issued this warning?

This is a topical post about Thailand as seen in the morning papers. They have a very important decision to make and I think an issue about access to drugs for the poor should not be censored on this board.

I have no idea why Im getting this warning. Everything is game but not America is this the stance?

Its impossible to talk about any world politics without America being involved someplace? World politics and here in so far as it involves Thailand are interesting to me and other people. What Is this blanket censorship about one country about?

I fully understand how Americas foreign policies must drive many American citizens to distraction but head in sand never solved anything. People will discuss these issues when they see injustices.

Many people in New-Zealand are also dead against New-Zealand being part of the agreement the drug issue included but also the fact for example that the Dairy industry is completely protected in America so they don't gain very much but would just lose, one way traffic as America will not start importing Dairy never ever.

Its not at all fair to put Thailand under this pressure its almost a threat. Damned if they do damned if they don't, its an outrageous cheek. It takes courage to stand up for themselves and I think so far in relation to the TTP agreement they are doing the right thing for Thailand and I applaud this. There are far too many issues for them to simply jump in head first on demand like some monkey.

One of the most endearing things about Thailand is it's rich cultural heritage present and past. Thailand has a long history of independence they were never a colony, why should they become an economic one now? Im sure they wouldn't sign any such agreement with China either.

See my previous comment. You only seem to rant about Americans as welll as yes these old topics are fun to read and are there for similar threads access but not to make comments on 6 month, five year old threads, open a new thread. What you are responding to is too old. People have died or like other forums and don't post They are for reference. I hope you can understand.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I agree many things America does are wrong and act like bullies and I and many others don't like it. If you look at your posts though it is america this and America that and we deserve it because America voted in 2 Bushes. Sure other nations do things wrong to but ALL you talk about is bad America, not OK not Ireland, nobody else.

Liked

I'm an American progressive and certainly regret many actions my country has taken over the past century. That said, we may all be signing a different tune when we are bowing to Bejing. It's not far off and if you need a reference point take a look at Tibet.
    Chelsea NYC

Liked

Chelsea, I worry about this because, as bad as our American govt. can be I shudder to think of the Chinese controlling the world. Not really a kind or nice bunch of guys from what I know and read.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaNY
    I'm an American progressive and certainly regret many actions my country has taken over the past century. That said, we may all be signing a different tune when we are bowing to Bejing. It's not far off and if you need a reference point take a look at Tibet.
    In my opinion this whole perceived threat from China is completely overblown and misused by "tea party" type politicians in America, whipping up domestic frenzies.

The problem is politics in America as it maybe in China. In America they seems to need to install fear in the population to function, and China is one of the boogiemen frequently used.

You have to realise that America's very premise as a mostly "free trading nation" and capitalist economy means that without China the American economy would not be able to exist even in the state it is in now. The competitive nature of manufacturing in China means in fact its America taking advantage of China's poor labour force and not the other way around.

China has far too many problems now and will face even greater challenges as they develop. Social stability, poverty, population size, natural disasters the list is endless, managing that enormous country full of very different cultures and people means "plotting to overthrow the world" is the silliest idea imaginable, its almost a Hollywood plot its so ridiculously naive.

Financially the Chinese government has been extremely astute, this is not a threat this is how America survives this is what America wants how it has always functioned by selling government bonds to the world, in other words taking out loans from all and sundry.

America could just have easily refused to sell its bonds to China. If China was such a threat why wasn't this the case? Capitalism of course! Is this such a threat. Yes China is a bigger manufacturing country now than America but this is mostly due to American demand for competitively priced products. They could just as easily manufacture Calvin Klein panties in America but Americans choose not to???

The most salient point is in fact that China needs America as much as America needs China. There are all sorts of issues of course like any country has, domestic and foreign policies, keeping an eye on each other is healthy.

China hasn't even opened its eyes yet to the fact that it will be needing to take a much greater role in world politics, it doesn't have the time or inclination as it has so many problems of its own to be getting on with. Just policing the internet must take thousands of wasted hours alone.

And yes it's no other than America that is insisting that China does take a greter role on the international stage, at the same time as spreading fear and loathing at home??? Im not sure where thats at?

deleted. Communication as to warnings and such as indicated in the Rules and guidelines needs to be stated on the board ONCE and then further discussion by PM only. DaBoss