Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Political amnesties

Liked

Political amnesties

There was an interesting report on BBC World over the weekend, questioning why no Thai soldier has yet been arrested for the killing of innocent civilians such as nurses during the Red Shirt protests last year. There was one almost throwaway line at the end about "current discussions". The reporter asserted that a deal is being discussed - amnesty for the army's shooting of civilians in exchange for an amnesty for Thaksin. Nothing would surprise me (except someone actually being prosecuted and convicted).

Re: Political amnesties

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    There was an interesting report on BBC World over the weekend, questioning why no Thai soldier has yet been arrested for the killing of innocent civilians such as nurses during the Red Shirt protests last year. There was one almost throwaway line at the end about "current discussions". The reporter asserted that a deal is being discussed - amnesty for the army's shooting of civilians in exchange for an amnesty for Thaksin. Nothing would surprise me (except someone actually being prosecuted and convicted).

Absolutely,

Not going to happen,. The Army and Police are still stood in the background very near to the current prime minister and letting her know what she can and can't do. There will be no arrests whatsoever of Army personnel ' doing their duty ' is how it will be described and the innocent red shirt protestors that ended up dead branded as ' insurgents ' or Anti Monarchy protestors, ( that usually works to shut everyone up!)

I am doubtful they will allow Thaksin back as they have already branded him as Anti monarchist trying to introduce a republic and too many at the top have to much to lose if he returns. Jail time for him?? That won't happen either. You've as much chance as seeing free and fair elections in the Country!

How many Police were arrested during Thaksins drug war when there were hundreds if not thousands of innocent people murdered by Police in the extra judicial killings?? ........none.

Thaksin's actual downfall started when he, after already installing his pals into all the senior positions of the Police Force, attempted to alter and change the pecking order of the Army, and they were not going to have that one.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    Not going to happen.
    Never ever?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thongor55 wrote:

There was one almost throwaway line at the end about "current discussions". The reporter asserted that a deal is being discussed - amnesty for the army's shooting of civilians in exchange for an amnesty for Thaksin
    The only problem with that deal is that amnesty isn't needed for those who have not been convicted of commiting a crime. The soldiers in question were never convicted of anything...nor should they have been, although Thaksin was, and rightly so.

I was surprised that more people weren't killed or injured during the red shirt riots (peaceful demonstrations my ass). The administration at that time showed incredible restraint, even after Thaksin recruited armed militants (terrorists) to begin shooting people and starting fires which claimed the lives of many.

Any manuveur by the current goverment (red shirts) to give Thaksin amnesty would result in another military-led coup - which unfortunatley may be in the cards.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Any manuveur by the current goverment (red shirts) to give Thaksin amnesty would result in another military-led coup which is most likely in the cards.
    This penetrating analysis results from your close viewing of the program, where chapter and verse about the killing of nurses was given?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thonglor55 wrote:

This penetrating analysis results from your close viewing of the program, where chapter and verse about the killing of nurses was given?
    No, my penetrating analysis resulted from my close viewing of the terrorist tactics supported by Thaksin & Co. which was the root cause of all the killing which ocurred. The "effects" of the problem were the people who were injured or lost their lives during Thaksin's brutal attempt to over-throw the government. The "root cause" was none other than Thaksin and the ignorant farmers who were blind enough to follow him.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    No, my penetrating analysis resulted from my close viewing ...
    Yes, the fools, all those bar boys in Bangkok and Pattaya are pretty much Thaksin followers too. It makes you think, doesn't it - they're discerning enough to choose gentlemen of quality such as you and me, Dodger, for some fund-raising sodomy yet foolish enough to be fucked over by a knave like Thaksin. Still, it's refreshing to find someone so confident in his own ignorance (sorry, "close viewing") that he can ignore investigative journalism. Life is such a rich tapestry don't you find?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thonglor wrote:

Still, it's refreshing to find someone so confident in his own ignorance (sorry, "close viewing") that he can ignore investigative journalism. Life is such a rich tapestry don't you find?
    If one considers sitting back in a beach chair flipping through a tabloid as "investigative journalism" then you could receive the Pulizer Prize.

Interesting, that In another post regarding the topic of "Amnesty" you stated:

In my opinion all criminals should be shot once convicted. It would save a lot of money.
    and then when qusestioned about the fact that innocent people could get killed in the process, you went on to say...

"shit happens"
    But now - through your implied investigative journalism you have determined that is was wrong for innocent people to get killed during the red shirt riots. Well, wouldn't a gentelman with your mindset just consider this as..."shit happens".

Yes, life is a rich tapastry indeed and we would like to thank you for your contribution.

Liked

When it comes to things like this in Thailand, I've learned that there's simply no point in even having an opinion, because it does nothing but add unneeded mental stress. The red shirts are no better than the yellow shirts, and vice versa. And that goes for any other color or shirt, and basically Thai society as a whole.

Living in Thailand is like living in a simmering pot, which is always almost at the boiling point. Doesn't matter what group, faction, shirt color, socioeconomic level, education level, or anything else you're at. It's all the same. One big simmering pot, one action can bring it to boiling point, then people end up doing absolutely irrational shit that makes no sense whatsoever.

Welcome to Thailand.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

cdmatt wrote:

When it comes to things like this in Thailand, I've learned that there's simply no point in even having an opinion, because it does nothing but add unneeded mental stress. The red shirts are no better than the yellow shirts, and vice versa. And that goes for any other color or shirt, and basically Thai society as a whole.

Living in Thailand is like living in a simmering pot, which is always almost at the boiling point. Doesn't matter what group, faction, shirt color, socioeconomic level, education level, or anything else you're at. It's all the same. One big simmering pot, one action can bring it to boiling point, then people end up doing absolutely irrational shit that makes no sense whatsoever.

Welcome to Thailand.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion.