Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Interest Lacking Here

Liked

Political Interest Lacking Here

I enjoy discussing politics generally and certainly the politics of any place where I live. Unfortunately, no one on this site seems to have any interest in Thai politics or any politics for that matter. The only discussion of this nature that I can remember concerned Scotland's attempt to seceded from Great Britain.

The now-gone Baht Stop board had many posts relating to politics and I found it most informative. I'm not sure what happened to all of those guys when the board closed it's doors but I never see them post here or anywhere else. On second thought, I believe Bob used to post there occasionally.

On here it does not seem that a post goes anywhere if it does not involve sex. But, that must be what those who post here are interested in. So be it.

Liked

Re: Political Interest Lacking Here

Just below this thread you'll find a thread which is 39 pages long, has received 578 replies and has been viewed 28,292 times.
    Have you participated on that thread? Have you read any of the posts and/or clicked on any of the links provided there, all of which are to do with Thailand's fascinating politics?
    As well, If you type in the words "Thailand's politics" in the board search engine you will find 23 pages of numerous topics regarding Thai politics. Did you try that?
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

If you're going to discuss Thai politics you have to start at the very very top and speculate about what will happen when That Thing That Cannot Be Named takes place. Then you have to take into account the role of the traditional elites and estimate the extent to which they feel threatened by populism and how they have reacted to it and how that might play out in the immediate future especially given TTTCBN. Then there's corruption which is endemic in Thai society. Frankly I'll never have the vote in Thailand and neither will you. At least Scotland not only is close by where I am but I get a chance to tease someone who does have a stake. There's no one on this Board who has any direct role in Thailand!s politics and certainly no Thai whom I can tease. It's a dead duck, Marti.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    If you're going to discuss Thai politics you have to start at the very very top and speculate about what will happen when That Thing That Cannot Be Named takes place.
    Thai politics is in a state of limbo and since no one has a clue when TTTCBN may occur, it may well stay that way for quite some time. I noticed in the Bangkok Post yesterday that even the Prime Minister is tiptoeing around the issue of refusing to name names when it was perfectly clear he was referring to Thaksin senior for whom he clearly has little regard - if any.

If you're genuinely interested, Marti, I suggest you follow New Mandala

Liked

Baht-Stop is a great loss. I was able to discuss political issues there and engage in debate with a well-informed readership. I don't feel willing to here; this board is mainly (and understandably) concerned with gay life in Thailand. I have no problem with that - horses for courses. At the same time, I appreciate the Protests thread because it reminds us all that our micro-world is peopled by Thais whose own lives are, in many cases, pretty desperate in terms of life-chances, economic development and- now- political freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Baht-Stop ... a well-informed readership ...

Liked

Ridiculous! This forum has much discussion of politics, and some members, myself included, are very interested in politics.

Liked

marti, rather than complaining about the lack of political discussion on the board, why not post a topic and see who responds? I think many members are interested in Thai politics, and indeed politics in general. Start a conversation and see where it leads. You might be pleasantly surprised.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...really....politics...in Thailand...really....get real, what ever you as a foreigner say has absolutely no effect, so stop even thinking about it. Just focus on what we are here for...beer and " boys" ....and btw...democracy isnt for everyone...some people are simply better off being ruled.