Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 yo living in muay Thai camp to earn keep

Liked

13 yo living in muay Thai camp to earn keep

My attention was drawn to the page seeking sponsors for slum kids and orphans, to the plight of this boy .
    At the moment there are only another 3 children on the website seeking sponsors for their schooling and upkeep. They add more every month or two.

http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/ ... nsors.html

more about them
    http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/navig1.html
    Akarawawut 'Bass' DOB: 11/11/97

Bass's mother was unable to care for the boys as their father had disappeared and her work did not bring enough money to feed and clothe them.

She placed 'Bass' and his older brother in a Mua Thai boxing camp where they were given accomodation in a dormitory and given food, in return for this they had to train at the camp and take part in Mua Thai Boxing matches in clubs and bars in Pattaya.

We sponsored both 'Bass' and his brother Phoomwit, Phoomwit is now at college whilst 'Bass' remains at the boxing camp, he attends a local school but still has to train and compete in matches in return for his keep.

The boys' mother is now working at one of Pattaya's shopping malls but because of finances she now lives at the camp with 'Bass'.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: 13 yo dumped in muay Thai camp to earn keep fighting

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    ...the plight of this boy, forced to fight in Pattaya bars and clubs to earn his keep.

The boys' mother is now working at one of Pattaya's shopping malls but because of finances she now lives at the camp with 'Bass'.
    Could you explain just who is "forcing" this boy to do anything? And the mother is living with him as well?

If someone suspects foul play, or anything illegal, then I suggest they call the police. But under no circumstances would I ever think of giving money to someone because an NGO has concocted a fantasy of "abuse" surrounding a story. The NGO do-gooders must be pretty hard up if this is the best they can come up with.

These kids in the photos don't look as if they are being "forced" to do anything. In fact, they look pretty healthy to me. If anything, I would consider donating money to this Thai Boxing camp and not the NGO.

Liked

I'll basically have to agree with Thai Dyed. You forgot the part to quote where the 13yo explains how he hates his life, and wish he didn't have to do this for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dyed
    The NGO do-gooders must be pretty hard up if this is the best they can come up with.
    I was thinking the same. A healthy, well fed (from the pictures), athletic 13yo who has shelter, lives with his mom, and (I'm assuming) isn't using drugs or prostituting himself. Yeah, better swoop in and save him. Maybe the helpful people will even teach him the word of God!

Liked

If you were familiar with the work done by Pattayastreetkids you would not dismiss them as NGO do-gooders. That's the furthest thing from the truth. Different as night from day.

In this particular case, it seems easy to say "oh he looks healthy enough" but 13yo kids shouldn't have to work for a living, much less get beaten up for it. One of the dirty secrets of Muay Thai is that kids who start too young usually end up with permanent injuries.

Liked

Maybe the helpful people will even teach him the word of God!
    Take a moment to check out the website.
    "We are a secular charity and do not support or promote any religious organisation. We are always prepared to consider working with any organisation in bringing help to children in need on the strict understanding that any such help is given unconditionally and does not involve the preaching, promoting or acceptance of any religion."

May I ask the cost to sponsor a kid? In US dollars?
    :love4:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy
    ...any such help is given unconditionally...
    Sure! And and there's a Santa Claus too. And we believe in Tinker Bell also.

In this particular case, ...kids shouldn't have to have to... get beaten up. ...kids who start too young usually end up with permanent injuries.
    So where is the documentation for this? Why don't the do-gooders get some pictures of beaten up kids with permanent injuries? You know why? They don't have any, that's why. The best they can do is to come up with some very fit looking kids and make up a complete fable about "abuse" to con people out of their hard earned money. This is the oldest trick in the NGO book.

These NGOs should be run out of the Kingdom, sent back to their own countries where I am sure there are plenty of problems to look after. But no, Thailand is a nice cozy posting, and why have to work for a living when you can cash in on easy money after making up a few phony stories.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    May I ask the cost to sponsor a kid? In US dollars?
    All a sponsor pays for are the school fees, and those vary by the type of schooling and the age of the child. Very roughly that's between $100 and $130 per year - what some here would spend for a single night out partying. That covers fees, books, supplies, uniforms - most everything but lunch, which some still can't afford. All other support you want to add (i.e. food for the family or other items) is on a voluntary basis, often done by the sponsor themselves in person on a shopping trip.

PSKSP is not a complex, slick organization - but it's wise to personally investigate any charity before throwing money at it. If you look at their web site you can read the financial statements and see what administrative costs are - they're as transparent as possible. Most PSKSP costs are met by the trustees themselves. You can read more at the FAQ page: http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/FAQ.html The site isn't fancy, but they don't pay to have a professional do it, either.

PSKSP is NOT a secular organization and there is NO church recruiting done, and it's more "real" than some who slam it.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I don't wish to detract from any good intentions PSK's supporters have. Just add a different point of view to think about.

Having read some of their case studies in the past, my opinion of Pattaya Street Kids and similar charities is mixed.

On the one hand, I think what they're basically doing is offering handouts to families who can't get their shit together to look after themselves. Some case studies are just sob stories about poorer Thais who can't pay the bills. Maybe they got into debt, Mum works as a prostitute and Dad (unskilled) can't get a job for whatever reason. How does this make them make them different to millions of other Thais who need to earn their own living, most of whom manage to do so?

There are millions of poor individuals and families like this all over Asia. They made some stupid decisions, they didn't think ahead, they didn't manage what resources they had and/or they didn't act responsibly. I've got relatives of my own like this who I help out.

So what PSK seems to do is come along and say, hey, we'll cover your electricity bill, water bill, food bill, school fees, school books, school uniform, medication and pretty much anything else where you didn't have the foresight or drive to make it happen for yourself, your family and your kids who you have a responsibility to...

On the other hand, the sad truth is, kids often suffer because of the stupid, irresponsible decisions their parents made. Perhaps that's not fair. Perhaps there's no better way to deal with this or perhaps it shouldn't be dealt with at all.

I wonder if the reason Westerners take pity on these types is because in the West, these types have a welfare safety net where as this is non-existent for most Asians...

Take a moment to check out the website.
    "We are a secular charity and do not support or promote any religious organisation. We are always prepared to consider working with any organisation in bringing help to children in need on the strict understanding that any such help is given unconditionally and does not involve the preaching, promoting or acceptance of any religion."
    I think that statement they have on their website is likely a load of shite.

On Pattaya Street Kids' website: http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/FAQ.html
    Q. On your website you mention the MERCY ChildrenтАЩs home and the Hauy Phong Home, what is the difference?
    A. MERCY run a home in Pattaya for up to 25 children at risk, these are mainly local children who have been abandoned, their families have not been able to care and support them or they have been removed from an abusive situation.
    On Mercy Center's website: http://mercypattaya.com/about/
    PURPOSE:
    1. Develop projects to help provide educational, moral, social and spiritual training for poor children and the destitute.
    2. Undertake strategic projects among the poor to help bring about community transformation in Pattaya.
    3. Find and train disciples in each slum area where MERCY is active, to carry on the work.
    4. Fulfill GodтАЩs commands to show mercy as stated in Matthew 25:35-40 and James 1:27
    (Mahjongguy, this is nothing against you personally. You're just the messenger who brought it up.)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    So what PSK seems to do is come along and say, hey, we'll cover your electricity bill, water bill, food bill, school fees, school books, school uniform, medication and pretty much anything else where you didn't have the foresight or drive to make it happen for yourself, your family and your kids who you have a responsibility to...
    You're entitled to your opinion on what you think they "seem" to do. All I can say is I've witnessed otherwise. If you would rather help others out in your own way, that's great - but please consider not casting aspersions on something you don't seem to accept as real.

Again, PSKSP is not a secular organization, there is NO church recruiting done, and it's more "real" than some who slam it.