Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Boys Town coming to an end.

Liked

Is Boys Town coming to an end.

What a change a few years has made.
    Boys Town use to be fibrant and full of tourist. Now its like a ghost town.
    Have made my comments known about BBB, but visited The Copa Show Bar. Half full, not so bad. But there are less chairs than before so does not take a lot to make the place look half full.
    The show use to be fun and full of cheers and laughter. Now its full of lady boy dancers looking in the mirrors as they are dancing loving themselfs. At one part of the show i felt embarassed for them as they finished a number and about 2 people clapped.
    What happened to the sexy boy show where they took stripped down to G strings with upto date numbers and men not lady boys. Also the pricing of drinks has gone through the roof. Dont they know that the baht is so high at the moment and everything is costing a lot more than what it use to be.

Then went into Le Cafe Royal, or should i say retirement home for the elderly. All i needed was a zimmer frame and i would have felt at home. There were 4 people at the bar and a few on the terrace. Left after one drink.

Went into funny boys. This was not to bad, had a few customers in. There was also a good selection of boys. Had a few drinks there and chatted and brought a few boys some drinks. Tipped them then left.

I know its low season, but it never use to be so dead.
    :crybaby:
    It seems a shame that the main gay area in Pattaya is so outdated. It needs a new lease of life. It will soon come a time when no one will go there, as it will out price itself and there is nothing to offer for the price. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Re: Is Boys Town coming to an end.

Marigar, I'm afraid that even in HIGH SEASON (apart from the Xmas/New Year period)it is dying a death.

You are right about the numbers - which are well down on what they used to be. If it were not for the Russians it would be even worse.

You are right also about the prices generally. 3000B for a bottle of JWBL in Copa equates nowadays to around ┬г70/$100 which, although affordable to me, certainly makes me think twice about a second bottle - but I tolerate it because I like the bar, I like the entertainlent (mostly), and I enjoy sharing it with the staff.

On the other hand, the average price of a drink in a gogo bar with very little entertainment (if any) is now around 200B which is getting on for ┬г5/$7.50 I exonorate Unkie because he is charging more reasobale prices.

I will keep paying it, because I can, and because there is still nowhere in the world that I am aware of which comes close. But it is pretty clear to me that it is dying on its feet.

:occasion9:

Well our prices are 150 for a top shelf mixed drink and 2,500 for a 1 liter bottle of JWB with all the mixers. True 500 baht isnt a huge amount, but its less.
    A group of us went to the Copa a couple of months back and it was packed and we enjoyed the show.

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    Well our prices are 150 for a top shelf mixed drink and 2,500 for a 1 liter bottle of JWB with all the mixers. True 500 baht isnt a huge amount, but its less.
    A group of us went to the Copa a couple of months back and it was packed and we enjoyed the show.
    Point 1, yes I agree that your prices are more reasonable ( I did say so)

Point 2, Yes, Copa can still be packed on occassion - but it used to be packed 3 x a night, and it isn't now. One fairly recent Satuday night I visited for the 12.15 show and it was almost deserted.

:occasion9:

Liked

I think most places are very quiet now ,no matter what part of Pattaya you go to.The price of drinks is alarming in some places and BBB should really get their act sorted out.
    As for Funny Boys,I think its still the best venue but should move away from fem.type boys,its just my opinion.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Marigar
    Now its like a ghost town.
    I suppose it depends on which time of year, which day of the week, which time of the evening you are there. In mid-late February certainly the beer/host bars were fairly full every night we paid a visit, as were the terraces, Copa and BzBzBz (only at show time) as well as our beloved Happy Place.

It's the agogo's which really seemed to be suffering, and i'm fairly sure i'll have said the same 3-4 years back, 10 years back? now that's a different kettle-of-fish altogether those really were busy days in the Boyztown agogos back then. But as long as most of the beer/host bars are busy and the main two are busy at show-time i can't really see anything coming to an end just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    and 2,500 for a 1 liter bottle of JWB with all the mixers
    Justme........WHAT??? MIXERS??? there are actually people who come into your bar and pay Bt2500/┬г55 for a bottle of 12 year-old deluxe whiskey and then drown/dilute it with coke/soda/whatever to the extent where you can't even tell what the fuck it is they are drinking? I always thought that's what JW red was for...mixing. For Black that seems to be a real waste of money. Only in my opinion of course.

A drink designed to be taken straight, or maybe with a touch of water or even over-ice is drank with mixers? There are western customers who actually pay Bt2500/┬г55 to do that? I'm a bit surprised.

And here was me thinking that my previous understanding of JWBL in Thailand, was that it is no more than a show of perceived wealth, a classic bit of Thai snobbery by those who put more importance of the colour of the whiskey bottle label 'on show' to all around, than it's contents. I always assumed that was the basis for it's large sales......playing to the...... He's got Blend285, he's got 100 Pipers, he's got Red Label........but I'VE got BLACK! ha!

My bf once tried to convince/persuade me to have a bottle of Black one night he had invited 2 or 3 good friends who were in town, 'apparently' because it didn't give him a headache the next day......but really, I knew, he knew, his friend's knew, the waiters knew exactly what that bottle of Black standing proudly on the tall Hollywood table would have been all about. The Red went down just fine.

Liked

Another way of looking at things is that the gay area is EXPANDING. In the ol' days (2001ish) Pattayaland Soi 1/3 was all straight host bars. Now the majority of the bars on both sides of the street are gay.

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan
    ..I suppose it depends on which time of year, which day of the week, which time of the evening you are there.
    -No it doesn't - it's quiet all over on average - anybody saying otherwise is blind, dumb, or both!

In mid-late February certainly the beer/host bars were fairly full every night we paid a visit, as were the terraces, Copa and BzBzBz (only at show time)
    No, they aren't - you're seeing double you inebriated vagrant

...as well as our beloved Happy Place.
    Your beloved place - have you ever said anything fainty critical of Happy Place? Frankly, I think you're a plant. I liuke Happy place but you're like some kind of fucking groupie

..WHAT??? MIXERS??? there are actually people who come into your bar and pay Bt2500/┬г55 for a bottle of 12 year-old deluxe whiskey and then drown/dilute it with coke/soda/whatever..Only in my opinion of course.
    Your opinion is shit- JWBL is a fucking blend not a Malt, get you facts right - it's perfectly acceptable for ANYBODY who knows ANYTHING (that's you excluded) to use mixers with a blended whisky

My bf once tried to convince/persuade me to have a bottle of Black one night...The Red went down just fine.[/quote]

Oh for fuck sake, I give up - what a tosser

rotest: rotest: rotest:

duplicate

Hey, I don't drink alcohol so who knows, who cares. We have 100 Pipers, JW Red, Black, Green, Gold, and Blue. I believe the red is much less and the Pipers is about 1,200 whereas in most bars it is 1,900 and up. I cant comment on thier prices. if you want mixers with anything, you can have them for as long as you have alcohol in the bottle. You can put your name on it and put it on the shelf for your return and still have free mixers. Just not mixers alone.

I appreciate the comments he makes about happy Place of course :notworthy:

While numbers are down because it is cold and going back into off season, I do have to say that my numbers are still about 30% above off season.
    Sure, we never had a strong peak season, but to call it dead or dying I think is incorrect, or so I hope. I think that the stronger bars will survive and the weaker bars will die. When the world economy starts to fix itself (if it does) then the bars and hotels once again will start to fill with people who have oodles of cash to spend. Until then, hold on for the rough ride. But we aint dead yet!