Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PATTAYA: English school for Thai

Forum's veteran
    Liked

PATTAYA: English school for Thai

My bf's English has not improved over the past 6 years. I want to send him to a basic English language school in Pattaya. Are there any suggestions out there?

Liked

Re: PATTAYA: English school for Thai

Do what we do, and teach each other. He teaches you Thai, while you teach him English. We just go through movies together in Thai language, with both, Thai and English subtitles. It works!

Only bad part is, I'm learning the wrong language. I'd prefer to learn Thai vs. Lao, but considering the family is living here now, would probably be better if I learnt Lao.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    My bf's English has not improved over the past 6 years. I want to send him to a basic English language school in Pattaya. Are there any suggestions out there?
    A.U.A. in north Pattaya near the Big C.

http://aua.buu.ac.th/pattaya/index_en.html

There is also a larger Bangkok campus which features a total immersion class of those wanting to learn Thai.

Liked

I have not checked it out, but there is a recently opened school in the Center Condo. It is on the same side that the Internet Cafe is located.

Liked

There is a school across from Carrefour on Pattaya Klang/Central Road which is reported to be good. Also there is NS Travel in Sunee Plaza where the owner, Minn, teaches one on one. The school at Center Condo is under development so not likely ready to teach at present.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Do what we do, and teach each other. He teaches you Thai, while you teach him English.
    This is the worst possible way to learn Thai, as you will pick up all of your boyfriend's slovenly speech habits (eg. "yibsong" instead of "yee sib song" for "22") and poor pronounciation ("kaarp" for "khrup"). Then when you start speaking in Thai to an educated Thai, the moment you open your mouth he will know "Oh, someone who associates with low lifes and provincials". Thais are highly class conscious, and the higher they are up the tree the more conscious of it they are. However, if you believe your interactions will be confined to bar boys, waiters and shop assistants, such an approach will work fine. As for whether it's an appropriate way for your boyfriend to learn English will depend on your own perception of how well you understand the language yourself, and feel confident in imparting your knowledge of it. Learning a language, beyond the basics, is not merely mimicry. However there are a number of theories about the best way to learn another language, including "total immersion" where the teacher either does not or will not, speak your own language at all, ever. As for "cheap" schools, you get what you pay for - as opposed to more expensive schools where you don't always get what you pay for.

Thonglor55 is right and gives you valuable informaion. May I add one more thing. You said that you wanted to send him to school to learn English. Is he ready, willing and able? The reason why I ask is that so many people have a so called interest to learn English and then give it up after the first class or two saying it is too hard or they would rather sleep. Then it becomes a big waste of money as most schools have a no refund policy. I cant count how many of my boys I have sent to school and it has been a waste. Make sure.

Guys,

They DO have a refund policy just not for you and it is usually cut up between them and the boy,especially if you tell him to go 'find a school' :laughing3: :laughing3:

They also have refund policies when the kid says he wants to ' rent a room on his own' as his mates are stealing from him. This means you rent thev room for him,you return to home country,he has already negotiated a partial refund with the landlord and although it is in the landlords favour,he doesn't care as its your money not his. He then moves back in with his mates.Not a bad days work moving a few belongings on a motorbike,here and there for say,1500 to 2000 baht.

It's like a form of 'reverse banking' with you being the client left holding the baby! Don't take it too seriously,it's Thailand. :love4:

If he wants to learn English,get him to AUA in Bangkok,they don't have a refund policy!! :evil4:

Incidentally,its a reflection on his lack of interest,that he doesn't speak English,No? :dontknow:

How do I Know this?? Because in a previous life,back in the early days when 'old shep was a pup' I was that soldier! and it cost me many times. :laughing3:

I remember buying one twat four motorbikes in one year,would I have done that in the UK,Only if my head had wanted testing :idea:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    This is the worst possible way to learn Thai, as you will pick up all of your boyfriend's slovenly speech habits (eg. "yibsong" instead of "yee sib song" for "22") and poor pronounciation ("kaarp" for "khrup"). Then when you start speaking in Thai to an educated Thai, the moment you open your mouth he will know "Oh, someone who associates with low lifes and provincials".
    Well, if someone wants to get their panties in a knot and look down on me due to my Thai pronounciation, we can compare monthly bank statements. I'm just really not worried about that aspect.

As for whether it's an appropriate way for your boyfriend to learn English will depend on your own perception of how well you understand the language yourself
    I understand English enough to get around and conduct business in an English speaking country.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    This is the worst possible way to learn Thai, as you will pick up all of your boyfriend's slovenly speech habits (eg. "yibsong" instead of "yee sib song" for "22") and poor pronounciation ("kaarp" for "khrup"). Then when you start speaking in Thai to an educated Thai, the moment you open your mouth he will know "Oh, someone who associates with low lifes and provincials".
    Well, if someone wants to get their panties in a knot and look down on me due to my Thai pronounciation, we can compare monthly bank statements. I'm just really not worried about that aspect.
    From what I've learned and experienced, thonglor55 is offering you good advice on this cdnmatt, although he may be stating it more directly than you find palatable. The same applies for learning Thai OR English.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and try to teach your friend what you can of the basics and see how he takes to learning it at all. There's very little "bad" knowledge in the world, so give it a try. Then, if he's willing to learn it properly and you say money's not a concern for you go ahead and send him off to Bangkok to school to be re-taught; that way he'll have the skills to use as he wishes in the future. You might be wise to remember the lyrics to the old song "How're you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paris", though.

As for a bank account as a measure of status: that's just misguided silliness, IMHO. Males might as well also get out tape measures and compare the length of their sexual organs. :tongue3: