Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POOR OLD RICHARD

POOR OLD RICHARD

Just for LTMU

A friend in Bangers emails to tell me that the new micro-pub on Silom, @Richards, is not exactly the roaring success that its owners were hoping it would be.
    The antiquated triumvirate of Rita, Jemima and Victoria advertise @Richards as тАЬa new and exciting gay bar and restaurant and poised as an alternative to the soi 4 barsтАЭ

тАЬPhooeyтАЭ says my contact. тАЬItтАЩs a morgueтАЭ He uses the word MORGUE deliberately since one of the three тАШexcitingтАЩ owners, Jemima, used exactly the same word to describe one of the soi 4 bars in a magazine he part owns. JemimaтАЩs point was to try to put readers off visiting the world famous soi 4 and go instead to the little alleyway in which he part-owns the pokey @Richards.

The owner of the maligned soi 4 bar & club was livid and threatened. The result is that Jemima now has to advertise this comfortable and welcoming soi 4 club with its truly exciting dance show for free for the next twelve months.

I asked my friend if there was anything good about @Richards?
    "Rita Richard only started this place up because he has already drunk all the money he made on the sale of the Telephone pub a few years ago. Like a dog returning to its own vomit he did the only thing he knows how to do and that is sell drinks to the few people that can find his bar".
    "But" he continues тАЬYou can have a good laugh to yourself looking at how depressed Rita is. The place is a dump and he knows it. His partners are Jemima, a former Kleeneze salesman whose conversation is not special and the horrible Vikki who sits near the doorway greeting customers like a vulture eyeing up a bit of carrion".

тАЬThe best thingтАЭ, he writes, тАЬare the double front doors so that elderly, wheelchair-bound customers can get in with ease and others can leave with haste once they realize what a mistake they have madeтАЭ.

You don't say?
    That place is now on my MUST DO list!
    I love a train wreck.

Just for LTMU

Just for LTMU !
    Oi oi oi, i am sorry ! i am gone now ! :argue:

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaiquila
    You don't say?
    That place is now on my MUST DO list!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaiquila
    I love a train wreck.
    Me too!
    But not in the Thai sense: when one bf shows up, unannounced, while you are...'entertaining' another.

Hmmm!

I must say that I do not know the history of the place or the owners/managers, so I come at this as someone unbound by prior involvement. My experience of the place, the one time I visited, was that it was a nice, quiet alternative to many 'gay' places and place looked smart and well decorated and furnished. The food I saw delivered to other tables was well presented and looked appealing. I only had a starter and that was filling and up to standard. My only gripe was the time it took for the food to come, which is possibly the longest I have ever waited for a starter anywhere in the world and considering the number of people in the restaurant I found it quite unbelievable.

I can only assume that perhaps the service (which may have been addressed since I last visited a couple of months ago) or indeed the location, which did not seem to be attracting many people down the alleyway to the few businesses there, are to blame.

Having said all that, I do not understand the mentality of people who seem to rejoice in the 'possible' failure of a gay business (or indeed any business) which caters for gay people. I also do not understand why obvious untruths are told to 'big up' the post and make it seem more interesting or entertaining - the place is neither 'pokey' nor a 'dump'. I cannot speak about the owner 'drinking his profits' from a previous business sale, but I doubt if the poster, or his 'friend' have inside information on the finances of the owner of @Richard's.

I have made some negative comments about some places I have stayed at or visited in Thailand but I hope these have been based on true experiences and not maliscious gossip.

Re: Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Edith
    when one bf shows up, unannounced, while you are...'entertaining' another.
    And doesn't want to join in

Any publicity is good publicity. If this place fails, it will fail, mai bpen rai. Just make sure you spell the name right.

Liked: 1
    Can't quite understand why Palmolive is getting herself all in a lather over this bar. There are plenty of unsuccessful bars around. Do I detect more than a touch of Schadenfreude?
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

Re: Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Quote Originally Posted by Edith
    when one bf shows up, unannounced, while you are...'entertaining' another.
    And doesn't want to join in
    Exactly!
    Otherwise; it's more of a (combination) Powder-Puff Demolition Derby\Relay Race. Where I do all the laps.
    Start your engines!
    Let the games begin!

Oops, I'm out of gas!
    But Num has plenty. (Damn Som Tam!)

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    Can't quite understand why Palmolive is getting herself all in a lather over this bar. There are plenty of unsuccessful bars around. Do I detect more than a touch of Schadenfreude?
    Do I detect more of LMBU
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves