Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate gay areas in BKK to Silom and Soi Twilight

Liked

Alternate gay areas in BKK to Silom and Soi Twilight

On the the thread no more smiles, mention was made of gay bars in Soi Nana. In the mid to late 90's the fore runner to Utopia was located there and had a gay shop with accomodation upstairs. I think the owners name was John and Soi nana was walking distance.
    I found the cut and paste below on google. It would be interesting to hear more about this area as the only area outside Silom usually discussed is Saphan Kwai

Gay-friendly Neighborhoods in Bangkok

While gay bars can be found almost everywhere throughout the city, there are actually three hot spots for gay entertainment in Bangkok.

Silom Road, next to the Sala Daeng BTS Station and the Rama IX intersection, is probably the best-known gay area in the city. SoiтАЩs (sub-streets) 2 and 4 are home to an extensive choice of bars and discos while hotels can be found on the parallel Surawongse Road.

The second gay-friendly area in Bangkok is Sukhumvit Road, mostly between soi Nana and soi Asok. However, most establishments in that area specialize in adult entertainment.
    Read on

Finally, the area around the Ramkhaemheng University has a few bars and discos, mostly frequented by a younger local crowd.
    Gay Bars and Discos in Bangkok

Note: For ethical reasons, bars which provide adult entertainment are not listed here.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Re: Alternate gay areas in BKK to Silom and Soi Twilight

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Finally, the area around the Ramkhaemheng University has a few bars and discos, mostly frequented by a younger local crowd.
    Gay Bars and Discos in Bangkok

Note: For ethical reasons, bars which provide adult entertainment are not listed here.
    The first Bar that I went to in Bangkok back in 1987 was Big Boy bar on Sukhumvit Soi 11. There used to be a number of Gay Bars dotted around in various Soi's off the Sukhumvit road but none of them that I can remember had Go-Go; the boys just sat around in their street clothes until invited to sit with a customer for a drink. Most had short time rooms upstairs. the Gay Go Go bars were all over the Silom area, not that many then but they were starting to sprout up. Utopia was both a shop for gay and lesbians complete with a coffee bar just past Soi Asoke.

Liked

When not spending my time on Cruising for Sex and Gayromeo I can be found in the gay karaoke bars of Saphan Kwai.

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    When not spending my time on Cruising for Sex and Gayromeo I can be found in the gay karaoke bars of Saphan Kwai.
    Now that was a outstanding bar, the original Midnight Cowboy in Saphan Khwai, the boys wore jeans and some cowboy attire. It was originally opened around 1992 by John a Singaporean who had Camilla the ex Royal Marine transvestite as manager. It was later turned into The Apache Bar, where the boys obviously wore hardly anything except something resembling American Indian dress. It was managed by an Australian guy who was the perfect gentleman, name of Bob Ham who sadly died January 2004, does anyone remember the bar and Bob?

On the the thread no more smiles, mention was made of gay bars in Soi Nana. In the mid to late 90's the fore runner to Utopia was located there and had a gay shop with accomodation upstairs. I think the owners name was John and Soi nana was walking distance.
    Soi Nana is Sukhumvit Soi 4.
    Utopia's shop and guesthouse was in Sukhumvit 23 and a very long way down it.
    I doubt many people walked the distance.

Liked

I remember an improvised show by the boys at Midnight Cowbow, the boys wearing chaps (only) and riding sweeping brush horses trotting through the audience. I took Nikkom Wongdee off for a week in Koi Sanui. Later at Appache (Boy), which did not have quite the same atmosphere, there were two twin brothers who were very popular. I have not seen this combination since.

Off Sukhumvit, there were many smaller bars near the Ambassador Hotel. At Bangkok Garden Bar, I made friends with Nat, he had red hair which made him easily recognisable in a crowd. That was in the early 80s and we remained friends for a number of years. I saw him again in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago. The red hair has gone and been replaced by a tattoo.

I used to stay at the Rex Hotel there, which was handy for Ekamai Bus Terminus, and visited many other small bars off the side streets nearby. One surprise find that I made was Witches Tavern, which reminded my of a typical gentlemans club, with wood panelled walls and leather chairs and behind the bar rows on bottles of whisky marked with their owners names.

There were several other interesting locations, but I will need to drag out my diaries to remember their names and locations

Liked

Camilla was a huge asset at Midnight Cowboy as (the late, so I understand) John was not especially customer-focused.

When, as a Thailand newbie in 1993, I went there for the first time and, through my fault entirely, there was some sort of misunderstanding, she sorted it all out in moments for me. Just a few years ago, so I understand, she was still in Bangkok - giving private English lessons in her apartment in the Saphan Kwai area.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius
    Camilla was a huge asset at Midnight Cowboy as (the late, so I understand) John was not especially customer-focused.

When, as a Thailand newbie in 1993, I went there for the first time and, through my fault entirely, there was some sort of misunderstanding, she sorted it all out in moments for me. Just a few years ago, so I understand, she was still in Bangkok - giving private English lessons in her apartment in the Saphan Kwai area.
    Sadly, John died of an AIDS induced illness. Camilla did teach until 2005 time when I understand she returned home to England to tend her aging mother. She was most infamous for her snake show in 'Super Lex late' 1980's ......

Liked

However, most establishments in that area specialize in adult entertainment.

I'm amused: are there any gay bars that provide entertainment for children?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I really must get to some of the more local gay discos more next time I'm in Bangkok... The ones where uni students hang out and stuff.