Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Monkey Island near Bang Saray/Sattahip

Liked

Monkey Island near Bang Saray/Sattahip

I have just seen the following article on the Pattaya Daily News web site <http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/04/17/emergency-fruit-supplies-sent-to-monkey-island-near-pattaya/>

Is anybody familiar with the place? Any idea about the logistics of getting there? Any other comments??

Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Emergency Fruit Supplies Sent to Monkey Island near Pattaya

An emergency consignment of fruit has been organised by the Thailand Tourism Authority Eastern-Seaboard in cooperation with the Pattaya administration to be sent out to Koh Ling (Koh Ped, Monkey Island). The decision was made to prepare the supply after reports that the thousands of monkeys on Koh Ling were beginning to suffer due to a scarcity in food.

Sattahip, the 17th of April 2010 [PDN]: Miss Jamming Junnapiya (Thailand Tourism Authority Eastern-Seaboard Director) along with Miss Phatsarin Sawettarat (Thailand Tourist Authority Pattaya Deputy Director) went to Chumphon Naval Academy in Bang Saray, Sattahip to prepare an emergency boat of food for the monkeys on Koh Ling.

For years, the monkeys on Koh Ling have survived off of the regular tourist tours to the islands in the region, which provided the primates with fruits and vegetables to eat. Tourists would happily feed the monkeys whilst taking pictures and admiring their playful nature. However; due to varying factors, including the global economic crisis and more importantly ThailandтАЩs continuing political instability, tourist numbers have dropped along with the flow of food to Monkey Island. Although the island of Koh Ling is densely covered in tropical forest there is very little if any food growing for the monkeys to survive off.

Although tours laden with tourist still proceed to the island daily, there numbers are insufficient to sustain the life of the many thousands of monkeys inhabiting Koh Ling and as such an emergency food supply plan has been devised to sustain the loveable monkey population. The Thai Samae monkey is known throughout the world for its kind and playful nature.

The program to support the Thai Samae monkeys on Koh Ling was devised by Miss Jamnong Junnapiya from the Chumphon Navy Academy Educational Department after she had witnessed their obvious struggles. In coalition with supporting the lives of the monkeys on Koh Ling a plan is also underway to help preserve the rich coral reef that surrounds a large majority of the island.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (236.4 KB, 1656 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.6 KB, 1656 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (69.9 KB, 1656 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.1 KB, 1656 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (82.4 KB, 1656 views)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Monkey Island near Bang Saray/Sattahip

I think I have been to this island or a similar one near Phuket. I just remember landing on this beach and being accosted by cute monkeys for fruit. It was on one of the speedboat tours run out of Phuket where they take you out to the islands to snorkel and stuff. Gorgeous day.

Liked

I've been there once before, and can't say I'd recommend it. It's a nice little beach and everything, but they'll dump you at the island, then take off leaving you there for 6 - 8 hours. It's a small island, and there isn't really anything to do there. You swim for a bit, feed some monkeys, etc., but it gets boring after a while.

Of course, there's a couple restaurants and small shops there, which are extremely expensive. I think we paid 300 baht for a crappy plate of fries, and a cut up chicken breast (no sauce, or anything). They know everyone's stranded there all day with nothing to do, and will probably eventually get hungry, so they serve the shittiest food at the highest possible prices.

You'd be better off just hanging out at Koh Larn (sp) for the day.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    I think I have been to this island or a similar one near Phuket. I just remember landing on this beach and being accosted by cute monkeys.

Did you off any LOL
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

SANOOK! Looks like you have found a home! :idea:

Quote Originally Posted by The Equalizer
    SANOOK! Looks like you have found a home! :idea:
    Unlike you 'hereforme' monkeys have some intelligence and don't depend on a mix of drugs and alcohol to get them through their day............

Liked

If these are the same monkeys I saw on the PHI PHI or James Bond Island tour... They look a lot cuter in the pics posted than in reality,,, They are agressive and scratched several member of the tour even though we were not scaring them or running up on them.. I would skip these monkeys and stick to the ones on Gibralter... Those on Gibralter are at least friendly .